- Text Size +

Pam woke up from a thin sleep to the tinkling sound of raindrops falling above her. She blinked, startled for a moment at the sudden noise around her. Something bumped her elbow lightly and she sat up, a familiar shadow moving over her.

"Okay, there we go," said Roy, taking hold of her hand and helping her carefully out of the car. "Thought you were going to stay in there all night." he mused. She only looked at him in response, unsure of what was happening.

"How long was I asleep?" she mumbled tiredly. It was dark out now. Her neck twinged as she stood up and she rubbed at it absently.

"You needed sleep." Roy shrugged. "I didn't want to wake you." He closed the car door behind her and led her through the rain into the house.

Pam was astounded at the sight in front of her. It was incredible. Every table top, shelf, even the TV shone with all the pride of objects that have been scrubbed within an inch of oblivion. She lifted her head, catching the lemony scent of Febreze.

"You bought Orchids?" Bewilderedly she pointed to the delicate purple flowers soaking up the sunlight from the table by the couch. Her heart fluttered in wonder as she took in his efforts. "You did all this today?" she murmured, more to herself than Roy.

He shrugged. "It's why I wasn't at the hospital right away."

She turned back to him, drawing a slightly shy smile. "It's lovely Roy." her voice quivered as she spoke.

"Hey now, none of that." Roy put an arm around her. "I wanted to make up for our fight this weekend. I wanted to do something nice for you." he said charitably, eyeing her for a response. She blinked rapidly, feeling completely engulfed by everything. Looking around the room; the room she had hurt herself in – more than once - she felt a deep sadness well up inside of her. She swayed on her feet. She was hurt. She was so tired. And confusedRoy was being so gentle and kind to her, part of her wanted to fling her arms around him and thank him profusely over and over. But somewhere much deeper – and darker than she'd ever admit to – somewhere in her quarrelling emotions, an intense feeling of disgust was forming. She was so weak. So easily placated. So damn grateful for every inch of affection or tenderness he bestowed to her. She was disgusting.

"You did this for me, Roy?" She said as something inside of her clicked. Roy looked back at her incredulously.

"Who else, Pam?" he said, his voice low and cool.

"I just… after our fight…" she trailed off, looking at her shoes. Roy tensed and shot her a glare.

"Don't make this into something else, Pam. I felt badly that you were in the hospital. So I did something nice for you." He sighed heavily. "If you wouldn't make me so mad. I'm sorry you fell, but you know how much it hurts me when you do things you know I don't like. I can't help getting angry."

"I know." she mumbled quietly. Roy's fingers were now in her hair, softly stroking her smooth curls down. He pulled her close to him and lightly kissed her forehead.

"I love you." Roy kissed her again. "If you would just try harder to be more considerate of me in future, okay? Can you try?" he drew back and looked at her expectantly. She stared up at him a moment, her expression uncertain before focusing and nodding her agreement. Roy beamed down at her.

"When I'm sleeping, turn your cell off." he instructed with a kind tone. Pam thought it prudent not to remind Roy she no longer had a cell phone – after all the man probably swept pieces of plastic out of the carpet when he was cleaning earlier. An often expressed saying of her Moms slipped into her head. Fools are blind, Pam. She would often remind her of this. She thought about Jim, and how kind he had been to her earlier. He surprised her. He didn't do it out of obligation or responsibility. He could have left her alone in the hospital to wait for Roy, but he didn't. Jim was a good friend, a nice guy. The best.

"-much I need you," Roy was still talking. He released her from his arms and put his hands on her shoulders. "I think you should go to bed. You are exhausted and it's getting late. You look like Morticia dug up twice." he nodded towards the hallway.

Gratefully Pam made her way to the stairs. She really was exhausted. She wasn't sure when it had started but she had begun feeling like there were weights attached to her arms and legs that dragged behind her wherever she went. She wanted to go upstairs, she wanted away from Roy.

She was feeling too much, too much of everything.

"Oh, and Pam?" Roy called as she started the climb up to the bedroom. He followed her to the end of the hallway. "I don't want Halpert calling here again. Okay?" He said simply and sternly. Pam flinched but chose not to respond.

She dropped onto their shared bed. The tears she had found so readily all day did not come now that she was alone. Her head ached. She was empty, emotionally spun out and shattered. She lay on her side, careful to avoid the raised knot just above her forehead, Roy's gift to her on Saturday. She thought about the orchids downstairs. The kind way Roy had of caressing her when she was upset – hurt, her mind whispered –and how nice he was to her Mom. He had been trying to make things right with her.

She thought about the day of Michael's birthday. Nearly four years ago. More than twelve hundred days. That day had been the first. It had been a normal, usual Michael-centric office day…..everything in it's place and space. The warehouse were in and out of the office a lot, she couldn't remember why though. Everything was usual.

Until they got home.

She had not known what hit her. Literally. Roy's fist flew out of the dark, just like his anger did. He flashed fire and ice, like a tropical storm. He didn't brood. A punch here, a kick there, his rage satiated for the time being. That evening had set a precedent as far as their relationship went. She closed her eyes and heard his yelling again. The ghost of Roy past. "He was trying to cop a FEEL!" Over and over he had yelled that night. She heard herself crying and pleading with him, telling him Jim hadn't been hitting on her or doing anything wrong, they were just messing with Dwight but the man was in a rage too great to listen that night.

That was the first time.

She lay in her bed a long time, eyes closed but awake. When Roy came up she pressed her face into the pillow and steadied her breathing. Jim's earlier words drifted back to her.

He won't hurt you. Jim had told her. She'd been angry when he said that. She didn't want Jim to see how pathetic she was. But in the darkness of the bedroom, with Roy's presence sucking all the air up, a little warmth crept over her. I'll be thereHe won't hurt you.

She lifted her head out of the pillow and rested herself comfortably. It was a strange realization for her to admit, perhaps she wasn't so alone after all.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans