- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Shorter chapter this time 'round, but I don't want to spend more time on Karen than I have to in this story. ;)
Pam could only partially hear Jim’s deep, muffled voice through the hotel room door and she could tell he was pacing. From what she could hear, his tone was even as he presumably recounted the situation to Karen over the phone. Suddenly, however, she heard Jim very sharply say Karen’s name, his tone a little more agitated. Pam sat forward and grabbed a pillow to her chest, wishing she could make out the words Jim was saying. She could only tell that he was getting frustrated and she began to feel an instinctual protectiveness over Jim again. What would Karen be saying to make him react this way? Especially after he had spent a day at the hospital with his injured sister? Jim had lowered his voice now and for the next ten minutes Pam couldn’t decipher anything he was saying. She knew she shouldn’t be eavesdropping, but she also couldn’t resist.

Jim’s voice stopped and he gave a soft knock on her door. Feeling a slight nervousness that talking to Karen would bring back Stamford Jim, she tentatively opened the door. He stood in the hallway facing her, head hung. He rubbed his face with his hands.

Pam spoke first. “Everything...okay?”

Jim sighed. “I forgot to tell Karen where I was. She came back early from her trip to Maryland.”

“She has to understand, Jim--you’ve had a lot to deal with--”

“She’s my girlfriend,” Pam winced at the word, “and I forgot to tell her my sister was hit with a damn car and that I’m in New York.”

“Was she upset?”

Jim simply nodded. Pam felt a small rise of defensiveness within her.

“Jim, I don’t think that’s really fair of her...this is a huge thing and you were focused on Larissa and getting to the hospital and making sure--”

“Pam,” his voice was soft. “Don’t you think the person I’m dating should be the first person I should think of to call? I mean, what the hell is wrong with me?”

“Nothing,” was all she could muster.

“She was upset I didn’t call,” he looked up at her, “and even more upset that you’re here with me.”

“Oh…”

“I mean, she doesn’t know everything. She knows I was...involved...with someone back in Scranton before I left. But I never told her it was you. Turns out Karen is pretty perceptive and had figured out a lot on her own, with a little help from Phyllis.”

“I’m sorry.”

“No, don’t be sorry. I couldn’t be doing any of this without you.”

They looked at each other, a thick silence between them. Jim finally broke their gaze and looked at the floor. His voice was quiet and reserved.

“She didn’t even ask how Larissa was.”

She could see the pain on his face and it broke her. “Oh, Jim--”

“I mean, she asked at first, but then when she found out you were with me it was like she didn’t care anymore. I know I forgot to call her, but it felt like she was more worried about me being with you than about my sister.” He couldn’t look at her.

Pam couldn’t think of a single thing to say. She wanted to make Jim feel better by giving him some excuse for Karen. Maybe that she was just worried when he wasn’t in Scranton when she got home or that she was just flustered. Maybe she didn’t understand the severity of the accident. But even more than wanting to diffuse the situation, Pam couldn’t suppress the anger she felt toward Karen in that moment. So instead, she waited for Jim to speak again, because forcing out words she didn’t mean seemed impossible.

Jim pinched the bridge of his nose and changed the subject.

“I don’t want to talk about this right now,” he said quietly and shook his head. “And there’s actually something I kind of forgot to mention to you. Larissa knows you’re the one who drove me up here and she insisted all day that I bring you to the hospital with me tomorrow. But she was also pretty drugged up, so I doubt she’ll remember that,” he laughed. “You have an out if you don’t want to come.”

“Wait, she asked me to come?”

“Yeah..” he hesitated, “remember how I said I tell Larissa everything…?” Jim shifted on his feet, obviously nervous.

“Oh.” Pam understood. Larissa knew exactly who Pam was.

“I just didn’t have the heart to tell her no. She pulled the paralysis card on me.” He shrugged emphatically. Pam laughed.

“I’d be happy to come. I feel like I know her after the stories you’ve told me tonight.”

“You sure? I know it’s probably weird…”

“Positive.” She smiled.

“Well, okay. I guess I’ll swing by here tomorrow? I’m staying just a couple floors up.”

“Sounds good.”

Jim began to walk away but Pam called after him.

“Jim!” He turned around. Pam leaned against the doorway. “Thank you for sharing her with me.”

He smiled softly, put his hands in his pockets, and continued down the hallway.
Chapter End Notes:
I know that's a tiny cliffhanger with Karen and Jim because we don't know exactly what was said or how they left off, but I will get there. To be honest, I don't actually hate Karen in the show that much. Other than the fact that she's a barrier for Jim and Pam, I don't think she's that bad. But I decided to make her a little colder and more villainous here. Because it's my story and I can do what I want.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans