- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry, filler chapter. Have had a complete block so I needed to put away the legal stuff for a chapter to see if it helped. Not really but anyway.

"The rain's stopped." she commented, looking detachedly through the front window of the cabin. Her right index finger tapped idly against her knee, drawn tight up against her chest. Jim barely stifled a yawn, half heartedly stretching his arms upwards, then dropped on to one of the plush seats opposite her.

"It's getting dark early tonight." he said.

"Yeah." she mumbled thoughtfully. The clouds were moving fast, shifting and tiny beams of sunlight were sneaking through. "I'm pretty tired of all this rain."

She fell silent, watching the branches of the giant pine trees gently bending in the breeze. The pit of her stomach gnawed at her as she tried to push the memories from the last week out of her mind. As relaxing as her current view was, she still wasn't entirely certain that they had done the right thing, spur of the moment as it had been.

Or had it truly been a spontaneous impulse? Part of her suspected Jim had thought this up some time ago and had picked his moment. The plans had come together rather quickly. She had looked at him like he had lost his sanity at first when he suggested it, thinking the whole idea potentially damaging on behalf of her reputation in her case against Roy. But as Jim vigorously told her, it wasn't like they were leaving the country.

"We aren't even going outside of Scranton," he pointed out.

"What if the attorney wants to meet or something? Won't it look bad?" she had worried.

"We can be back here in an hour. Besides, nothing's gonna happen over the weekend, Beesly."

She had resisted, almost routinely, but then he had smiled that smile, the slightly lopsided, puffed cheeks smile that reached all the way up into his eyes and then the battle had been over and her bag packed.

It certainly was a secluded place– and even more to her liking it was quiet. The peaceful area and the slightly cleaner air gave the illusion of being away, further away than they were. The sweet, sharp piney odor was refreshing and already she felt her knotted muscles relaxing.

"Let's go outside." she said, to Jim's surprise.

"Outside?" he rubbed his chin. "All the way out? I don't know Beesly. That's a pretty big step. Maybe we should think it over first."

Pam rolled her head to her right, raising her eyebrows in mock exasperation. "You think you could commit yourself to coming for a walk with me?"

Sliding a hand over his mouth, Jim yawned with exaggeration. "I'll do it." he said, grinning lazily. "I'll come with you. For protection."

"Protection, okay.." she shrugged nonchalantly, getting up from her seat. "What are you going to protect me from?"

"Protection, for me." he laughed. "Urban legends Beesly. Don't wanna be that guy in the cabin in the woods alone in the dark who goes out to investigate a strange noise and never comes back."

Pam suppressed a giggle and attempted to look serious. "Come on, nerd." she teased, tugging at his sleeve. "Don't worry I'll look after you."

"You better Beesly."

Together they put on their jackets and stepped out of the cabin door. The night had fallen and the trees were lined up as enormous silhouettes against the dark sky.

"Try not to scream like a girl if any snakes or bears or boogeyman show up." Pam said playfully, slipping her hand into his much larger one.

"What about the Scranton strangler?" Jim responded, straight-faced.

"Well you wouldn't know he's the Scranton strangler until he's got you by the throat, at which point you wouldn't be able to scream."

"The Scranton strangler – " he began, stopping as they both broke up. Their sudden burst of laughter sent a flock of birds flying out of a nearby tree as though it was on fire. They stumbled forward, both enjoying the sound of each others happiness, their laughter weaving together in the quiet night. Pam's joy began to dwindle first as she let go of Jim's hand to wipe at her eyes, her thoughts turning dark again. She had forgotten for a minute, allowed herself to forget.

Jim seemed to sense the change in mood. Turning to Pam he reached out and closed his fingers over hers once more, gently tugging her hand away from her throat where she had been tracing the soft flesh there.

"Let's go downtown. Wanna check out that new food place, which has the bar and the games inside?"

A quick pull on his hand signified her enthusiasm for the idea, and she happily ambled alongside of him, her nervousness over their weekend getaway waning with each step and the warm feeling of her hand in his.

- T0 -

The bar-arcade-restaurant was busy, yet it was a relaxing kind of busy where the diners were all occupied in either playing, eating or socializing at the bar.

"This was a great idea." she said, daintily wiping her fingers on a napkin.

"Definitely." Jim agreed, around a mouthful of grilled cheese.

Pam got up to get them each another drink. At the bar she looked back at their table, smiling fondly at the windswept hair and relaxed manner that Jim was lounging back against the seat. "So," she began, setting a full to the brim glass down in front of him. "So, tell me something."

Jim looked at her curiously. "Give me a clue, Beesly."

"When did you come up with the idea of this weekend getaway?"

"A while ago, actually." Jim looked sheepish. "But when we were in the holding room and you said that you wanted fresh air and to see the sunset… maybe it's just for the weekend…"

"Sampling the dream, right?"

"Yup. How's it stacking up?"

She smiled, her eyes clear and warm. "I love you for it."

Jim looked down, his cheeks turning slightly pink. Then, he cocked his head to the left at the red and black gaming table bearing the words fast track. "Loser buys breakfast?"

Pam uncrossed her legs and leaned forward, gulping back her drink until the glass was empty. She stood up. "Pancakes and eggs and lots of coffee."

"What?"

"What I want for breakfast tomorrow. Better get up early, Halpert." she said, picking up one of the red strikers from the center of the game table and then positioning herself at the end goal nearest the wall.

Jim plucked up a blue striker, laughing. "Bring it, Beesly."

Pam whooped as she shot the first goal. She was having much more fun than she'd expected to – whether the wine had loosened her up or the fresh air or just being away from home, something was working. And, as they shot the puck back and forth between them, playfully insulting each others skills of the game, she felt a strongly growing gratitude to Jim for caring so much about her – for loving her enough to want to make her happy and take her mind away from everything. She was beginning to understand that he truly did love her, no matter how hard that was for her to accept - her who had had love measured and used against her like weaponry throughout her time with Roy. Her, who had learned that love could be given and taken away at will for the smallest of infractions.

"Bank shot!" Jim called out, nodding appreciatively as she shot her second goal.

Pam threw him a look of amusement. "A what?"

"A goal scored off the corner. Neat, Beesly."

She laughed and half-shrugged at him. "You're just making these rules up, right?"

"Nope. And you've never played before, right?"

"Nope."

She shot the puck like a woman possessed. She couldn't remember when she felt so relaxed, had so much fun. Maybe the wine was going to her head, whatever it was that was making her feel giddy and almost deliriously unrestrained, she knew that it was only temporary. Monday would come and they'd be back in the stuffy courtroom listening to two strangers argue about whether or not she was telling the truth. Back in the same room with Roy, the four walls she had finally escaped, would be closing in around her again by tomorrow night.

"Goal!" she yelled, then whooped again. Jim leaned forward against the table, not even trying to hide his mirth.

"Are you drunk, Beesly?" he gasped between peals of laughter.

"Hey!" she objected. "I can win without being drunk. So suck it."

When they finally left the restaurant, tired and merry, it had grown fully dark outside and there was a gentle breeze in the air, slightly cloying, with no sign of the earlier rain that had come down mercilessly.

"I think it's gonna be a big breakfast tomorrow, Halpert." she teased. The end of the game had been very close, with her edging out over him with another shot off the wall that flew unstoppable into his goal. She giggled as they trudged back through the grass to their cabin.

"Enjoying this, aren't you?" Jim smirked and turned around, walking backwards.

"Yup."

"Worth it."

"Huh?"

"That look on your face. You look so… relaxed and happy. Totally worth it."

"Goofball." she nudged him gently with her elbow as he righted himself beside her. "I do appreciate all the things you do for me, you know. Big and small."

"I know." He stopped still, fishing in his pocket for the keys to the cabin.

"Wait." she called, causing him to stop and turn to face her. Pressing her hand into his again she looked up at him, her eyes wide and pleading. "Let's stay outside a while. I want to be outside."

Something in her tone caused him to frown at her. "You okay?" he said slowly.

"I just don't want to go inside yet. Please. It feels like forever since I've been outside." she struggled to explain. How could she explain the utter darkness she had lived under for so long, being in a cage none the less. How could she explain that right there and then it felt like they were far away from home, from Scranton even, although they were only up at the lakes. Not even far enough away to technically be called a vacation but that she felt free for the first time in a long time and she didn't want to lose that feeling.

Jim rubbed her arm reassuringly, then went ahead and unlocked the door. Pam stood on the porch, absently shifting from one leg to the other. Within seconds he had returned, carrying a large cream colored blanket.

"It's not cold out here." she pointed out.

"It's to sit on." he clarified, shaking out the blanket. Pam caught hold of the end and they spread the blanket on the ground – settling for a particularly grassy area beside a hedge under the shadows of the giant pine trees. The spot they had chosen was almost directly opposite the cabin door and Pam flopped down on to the blanket, rather ungracefully. Jim snorted a little in amusement before sitting down next to her.

She drew her knees up, looking around her with quiet wonder. She felt like a child out in the night for the first time, like she was looking out into the world with a new pair of eyes. She felt fresh and new. Everything was bold, green, coming to life right in front of her. She ran her hand through the cool grass, letting the soft blades fan through her fingers.

"It's so beautiful out here." she said, breathing in the natural scents around her. Seconds later she felt the warmth of Jim's lips pressing against her hair.

She loved it when he did that. It was something unique in a relationship for her and it made her feel special. There was something intimate, something protective about it, they way he held on to the kiss like he didn't want it to end. She felt herself leaning into him, and her head falling on to his shoulder.

"Jim…" she said quietly.

"Yeah?"

She looked up at the sky, a beautiful, thick glittering roof over their heads. Several moments passed quietly.

"I don't know if this is worth it anymore." she said, her voice trailing off into a whisper. She could feel Jim's eyes turn on her in the dark as she said nothing else. Moments later his arm slipped around her shoulders.

"Roy?" he said instinctively. She couldn't help the small smile that tugged at her lips as he waited patiently for her to respond.

"Yeah."

"I know you don't really believe that, Beesly. I know you need to see him put away for everything he did to you."

She lay still and limp against him. She knew he was trying to comfort her but it was difficult for her to explain her fears. "It's just so….. hard. I'm not strong enough." she said wearily.

"Beesly." Jim said. "Do you really want to do this to yourself again?"

"No." she conceded, shaking her head against his shoulder. "But I just don't want to do this anymore. Why can't I just put it all behind me?"

"That's not the way it works, love." he pressed another kiss to her hair. "Hang in there, just a little while longer, okay?"

Idly she plucked a strand of grass up between her fingers. She couldn't find the words to explain how she felt and it frustrated her. "Sometimes I don't think I can."

"Hhhmmm." Jim's voice was low, and blessedly calm. "You know, I remember a girl who came to my door with nothing but the clothes on her back and bruises all over her body. Her feet were bloody and raw but she still walked away. They must have hurt like hell but she still walked away on them and came to me."

Pam sighed carefully, taking in his words. "You know what I wish – I wish I was eighteen again and young and naive enough to believe that the world is a good place, and I'd go out every night to bars and clubs and to Chili's and feel safe and not think twice about getting drunk or making a fool of myself. I'd have a lot more fun. I'd believe in a happy future and make better choices for myself."

"Yeah, that getting old really sneaks up on you, doesn't it." he mused.

"It's scary how quickly it all just disappears. Suddenly you're feeling old and all the plans you made, the dreams you had are gone." she said softly, her eyes drifting aimlessly over the grass.

"We can have all that again you know. Once this is all over."

She thought about that. She knew Jim wanted to reassure her but her recent spirits had sunk again along with her energy and she couldn't share his optimism.

"I... I thought I'd have a lot more out of life by this age. I think I'd make different choices if I could do it all over."

"What about Roy?"

"There is no Roy." she said firmly. "Roy doesn't exist in this do-over."

"Let's do it." he said, shifting on the blanket. "Once this is over, we'll redo everything. Start from scratch. Put it all in the past."

"Best future ever." she mumbled, feeling decidedly happier for the time being – for however long her rapid cycle of emotions would let her stay happy, anyway. She pulled herself into a sitting position and leaned into Jim, rewarding him with a long kiss to the mouth. His body softened over the welcome affection and she began to brush the tips of her fingers lightly over his jean clad thighs, prodding away the loose blades of grass that had mounted there, with a little help from herself. Jim sat back on his elbows not speaking while her fingers removed the offending stains from his clothes. His eyes were full of wonder and want for her. She knew what she was doing.

Pam did know exactly what she was doing when the grass was gone and her fingers continued their work, dancing enticingly high up his thigh towards the center of him, relishing the feeling of his body loosening under her hands, relishing the effect she was having on him.

And she knew what she was doing when she leaned forward and kissed him again – longer this time, slowly, seductively caressing her lips against his. Then she was lying on the grass and her hands were clutching at his back and her breathing was hard and fast and sharp. Above her was the sky, the stars burning bright as candles. Jim flowed into her and the hurt began to drive out of her, there under the long hanging needles of the pine trees. All thoughts of Roy and court and the past ebbed away, dissolving dark and blank as the sky until they were gone completely and she felt nothing but the moment she was living in.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans