- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

My apologies for being MIA and this long delay in posting this. I was not getting anywhere with the ideas and almost abandoned it.

Life has been a real rollercoaster in the past 1 month but I am getting a little bit of control over things now. This chapter resonated with me so much. I hope you all enjoy it.  

Slowly everyone started making their way to the exit, waving goodbye and smiling over another day over at Dunder Mifflin Paper company, still going strong under Michael Scott’s managerial lead. 


Pam started wrapping up when she heard a ping at her desktop before she was about to turn it off. She saw a small message window popping on her screen saying JHalpert sent you a new message.

She smiled and looked up to see Jim’s back was still turned facing her, and he was typing lazily on his keyboard. She quickly clicked on the messenger :


@JHalpert - Hi Ms.Beesly! So this is in reference to what I expressed before. What do you think of 7pm for dinner ?


She was amused at his attempt to sound all business like. She was literally sitting 6 feets from him and yet here they are, exchanging messages on company links. Just like old times and that felt like a relief she hadn't felt in a long time.


She quickly typed back.


@ReceptionistB- 7 pm for dinner is pretty good Mr.Halpert. Perfect time to keep your system going right and a healthy habit to pursue. 


@JHalpert- Oh well Thank you for approving my meal timings. 


@ReceptionistB - Oh anytime. If you need any other approvals, just send me a message and I’ll look into that :D


@JHalpert- typing………..


Before Pam could read what Jim was going to write Dwight started ushering Jim to get going. 


“You can’t do over-time without your superior’s permission Jim”. 

Jim nodded in mock resignation before adding his quip - “You are absolutely right Dwight. Overtime is for the employees to paint the Manager’s room back to its original color from the ghastly black”.He added looking at the clock and stood up, turning off his computer. 


Dwight looked angry then startled at Jim’s instant compliance but Jim turned around and moved towards his coat looking up at Pam and parroted “You can’t do overtime without your superior’s permission Pam” and Pam laughed. She laughed at Jim’s joke, which he shared with her, after ages, almost tearing up with the thought. She turned off her computer smiling to herself, looking forward to walking out with Jim. Something she hasn’t done in over a year now. But the feeling short-lived as Kevin joined them too, trailing a bit behind. 


The elevator ride was short when Kevin asked Jim if he wanted to see his list now because it’s ready and wagged his eyebrows at Pam. She looked up curiously at Jim, silently asking “What’s happening here” with her bemused expressions while Jim deliberately avoided looking at her and told Kevin to email that to him first thing tomorrow and how he appreciates all his help. The elevator dinged on the ground floor and Jim almost sprinted before Kevin could say anything anymore. Jim reached his car and waved “Later ” to Kevin and then turned to Pam and said the same but gently and tenderly, both feeling the effects of meaning behind it. 


Pam pushed the ignition in hers and backed her car, when her phone made a little beep sound and she pressed it and put the mobile back on the seat while steering her car around the familiar road to her apartment. She looked down to see it was from Jim asking her the address to her casa. 


She quickly parked it on the side, typing the address - 324 Brock Avenue, and sending it back. She didn’t wish to make him wait even for a few minutes for her response. No more waiting, no more delaying - honesty and courage.

She was smiling to herself, stroking her screen over Jim’s name when messages scrolled up. There were sporadic exchange of texts followed by emojis at afterhours of their workdays. 

“Hey Beesly,don’t be late tomorrow, we are gonna bake Dwight his favorite Jello Stapler. You don’t wanna miss it” 

“Michael is gonna do it tomorrow, I just know it. Bring a gun. We are gonna need it Halpert”

“Question. What is beet eating, bear hunting and Battlestar watching Obnoxious soul? You have 2 seconds to answer”

“Hey, you looked a little pale today? How are you feeling now”

“I think I had too many of those beets but I’ll live. Thanks for checking in Beesly”

“Anytime Halpert, I can’t afford to go to jail alone. If I am going down, I am taking everyone with me”.


She was grinning at the various funny jokes over the years shared in her little inbox when she came down to the end of list and saw the last message she sent him “Michael, Carol in a cheerleader’s costume, Diwali party and a proposal. Enough said”. Her smile widened remembering the night she had. Michael proposed to Carol after 9 dates. That was just another record for him. Who does that? Proposing after 9 dates. Well only Michael. 

This is the conversation she was hoping to have with Jim, and probably more. She thought back how she kept checking her phone every 5 minutes after the text, in hopes of his reply. She stayed awake till midnight thinking of all the reasons he won't get back to her.

Her mind took her from all possible scenarios “he perhaps didn’t hear the alert tone, he will get back to her eventually” “He must be doing his laundry or something” “It’s friday night, he is probably playing that fantasy football with Kevin, but……. Kevin was at the party ``''It’s friday night, he is probably out having drinks with his...new friends”, “He is probably out on a date….”. At the end of every scenario, she silently added that he will eventually reply because he always did, never missed. But by midnight, she knew there won’t be any reply, that call the other week was a fluke and he doesn’t want to have anything to do with her. Not after what she put him through that fateful night.


She felt the same ache in the present moment, as she felt during the night then. She contemplated again why Jim never texted back only to have the painful realisation - Karen. He was busy building his new life, with her, without her. While she was picking up broken pieces of her’s, the brittle life she had built, only to be blown down with his confession and her...regret.


The anguish and guilt started taking over her, just like the countless times in the past year.  The tears pricked her eyes once again, ready to immerse her in the storm of hurt. She was tempted to just go home and bury herself in the blanket on her bed and comatose to sleep, overwhelmed by the rollercoaster of the day she had. Another text alert broke her reverie:

“ Traffic feels crazy today. Drive slow Beesly, see you soon”


She felt a shift in her mood. She is not going to back out this time. No matter how it’s going to turn out, she is going to face it head first. No more stalling, she is going to go for it. She typed back a small text before driving away.


“Can’t wait” .


Chapter End Notes:
I am having a hard time getting the format right. I put italics in my original document but when i paste it here, everything is a plain text. Looking for little help there. Thanks in advance for all your time , feedback and the love to my fic. It has been great !!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans