- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This one very hard to write. I have even added a little trivia in there. I am really curious if anyone figures that one out. I will be posting the answer in next chapter.

Pam was already showered and dressed up by 6. She was so full of nerves that the only thing keeping her from exploding was getting ready for the date. It felt like if they couldn’t work it around this time, they never would. 


She almost picked the red top she bought online before remembering the fiasco of the date she had wearing that number. No more bad luck tonight, she ditched it for a silk top in copper color. It had buttons in the front which gave an impression of a shirt  but it was actually just a top with silk ties at the neck. It was fancy to go with her fancy new Beesly image and little form fitting too but not revealing enough for her to make self conscious all evening. She didn’t feel Jim would stare at her like that anyway or probably she wouldn’t mind if he did. She felt lightheaded over the thought of enticing..Jim with her attire. She laughed at herself, reminding how Jim may not really care what she ends up wearing considering he liked her when she would wear the most boring clothes at work. But she wanted to look nice for him just as much for herself. This is not a casual day out with her best friend but a date she has been hoping for a ….very long time..



She realized she has got time so she worked on taming her hair a bit. She didn’t have enough time to curl them like last time she did it for him. A stabbing reminder that he didn’t even notice her hair or her cardigan, or her happiness to see him and to start over. She brushed her hair a little too roughly only to wince in pain and ended up tying them up in Barrett like everyday. She felt a bit too bitter to do more. She put her brush down and went in her closet to look for the tallest heels she had. With Jim’s height, it does take a bit of effort to come next to his shoulders, if not higher. She picked black peeping toe wedges she bought in discount deals. She will never admit to anyone that she bought those in the hopes of this day almost a year back. With her limited budget, partial refunds and moving out of Roy’s place, she was on a tightrope. She went in to try returning her pumps she bought for the wedding when she saw this pair. While it took a lot of effort to return her $200 worth pumps for meagre $50 in return, she still bought the Black wedges with that money in the hopes they’ll be worth it someday. She was happy to finally take them out of their hibernation after months in her closet.


It was only a quarter past 6 and she was not sure what she should do next. Not wanting to sit idly going mental with the energy she was experiencing, she started sorting her place. It took her a total of 5 minutes to get everything in order, with the tiny size of her apartments and her minimalistic furniture. She moved to the bedroom contemplating if she should put the floral bed sheets in place of her snoopy ones before admonishing herself for getting carried away. This is the first date and hopefully there will be more and perhaps one day he will get to see or may be feel her floral bed covers and blanket but tonight he has to do with snoopy  She has waited for a very long time for this moment and she is going to relish every part of this journey, no rush this time.


With nothing else to do, she was at her window staring out at the street waiting for him to appear with every car that drove by. His Saab came 10 minutes later and she felt her heartbeat quickening. She turned around to get to her door only to remember that she never told him her unit number and sallied instead to the intercom next to it.





Jim climbed up the stairs inspecting each door passing, looking for number 11 to find it all the way down the corridor, partially opened with Pam standing and waiting for him. This is the sight he is going to remember till the end of the time, Pam waiting for him with that beautiful smile at her door. She looked vibrant in the silk top and the dark jeans that he had never seen before. He couldn’t help feeling a little cheer for she has probably dressed up for him. Her smile only widened at his identical one before they entered her home together, shutting the door behind.


She congratulated him on founding his way to her place and Jim silently added “finally’ in his head. He gave her the bouquet he got for her 


“ Great start there Halpert, full points on the choice of flowers' ', she raised her eye brows but with a playful smile.


He quickly added “I looked for sunflowers and lilies but the florist was all out of them, so roses is all I got”. He silently added in his head “And one single peach rose because I really like those”. He remembered Pam talking about her favorite flowers and centerpieces, during the days she was planning for her wedding. As much as overhearing the conversation hurt him, he couldn’t help filing in her favorite flowers bunch to his memory. 


“ Thank you”. They are gorgeous.” Taking a moment to regard the flowers she shared “ I did like the mix of colours in roses and other flowers for a very long time. I thought white roses were ordinary and would need to be paired with shiny sunflowers and even lilies and more colors to look pretty, because that’s all I had seen. It took me a while to see beauty in roses and now I don’t think they need any other kinds but just perhaps one of it’s own and they’ll be perfect.”


Jim didn’t know if they were still talking about the flowers. She then took the only peach flower out and he looked at her curiously masking the hurt - “She doesn’t like it, no big deal. It’s just one rose and not really a sign that he doesn’t know her anymore to even pick flowers for her”. His train of thought staggered when  she gave it to him, before he could open his mouth in question, she turned around and asked him to set it up on her barrette. He did so with shaking hands and thumping heartbeats. She turned back saying - “I loved this one the most”, looking at him intently. He could kiss her at that moment but instead cleared his throat “Beesley, where are your guest etiquettes ?!? Two seconds in the door and you have put him to work at your whims, when I am going to get introduced to Pam’s fancy new apartment”.


She apologized solemnly  “My bad Sir, Please allow me to lead you for the grand tour of Pam’s Bachelorette Pad”, and extended her arm to link with him.


He felt the little tingle where their forearms touched while she turned them to face her living area and started commenting “Straight ahead you can see my TV cabinet which doubles as a reading shelf  right next to my art station. If you allow yourself a little shift on the left, you would see my one kitchen which they call an open concept kitchen by the way, and the counter that also serves the purpose of the dining area.”


She was working hard to control the grin on the brink of breaking on her lips while turning Jim slowly to take the place in. It was a very simple apartment with very little furniture , actually just a big couch, and only a couple of bar stools in place of chairs next to the kitchen platform. Her art studio consisted of a couple of easels, many paintings leaning on the wall next to it, perhaps work in progress since they were all covered with translucent paper, and paints with paint brushes scattered all around. She also had little paper birds hanging from the ceiling, but these ones were colored and different shapes. 


Pam looked at Jim’s face, taking it all in , through the periphery and her bravado slipped a bit. She self consciously tucked her hair behind her hair and said “It’s not much, but it’s home”. He looked down at her and said “It’s home”. She looked up eying him in question before he corrected himself “It’s perfect”.


She felt a warmth filling her up and his proximity was not helping so she broke away and moved to her kitchen asking if he would like water or anything else to drink. He was disappointed at loss of skin contact and reprimanded himself for not feeling the bravery to hold her hands again. He said he is alright and Pam continued the house tour inviting him to follow her when she pointed to her bathroom door - “This is the powder room” she said in her fake british accent, and then pushed the bedroom door across it and almost fell down, slipping on the rug. She quickly took support from the wall - “I am okay”  and that’s when Jim observed her high heels. He has never seen Pam in one of those and wondered if that too is part of the new Pam. 


Pam led him with her beckoning hands showing where her bed was and Jim was barely able to contain himself. He would never admit it but he has fantasised about this very scenario hundreds of times, each time ending up with feet off the floor and clothes off the bodies. Her room was ..cozy..with her bed, night table on only one side, closet too big for the room’s geometry and a small window facing the neighboring building. It was nothing like Karen’s , there was no coordination of wood material of different furniture pieces she had, or spacing in between yet it felt so much more home-like. His favorite part remained the bed in the centre of the room. Pam was still talking and looking up at him expectantly for an answer until he realized that she was asking him a question. He took a moment too late to fix his expressions and heat rising on his face before Pam caught him staring at her bed. She whacked his arm and chided him playfully “Just do it and let’s get it over with”.

 Jim’s eyes widened in fear if she had read his mind and went blank. 

“C'mon I know you want to” 

“You have no idea,” he whispered quietly.

“Okay Halpert, let me make this easy for you” and Jim pinched himself if this is indeed one of his dreams.


“......”

“I sleep with Snoopy, yes and I like it” 

They looked at each other and laughter ringed in the tiny bedroom. Jim took the opportunity to distract himself from the inviting atmosphere  and peeked at his watch, reminding her that they have their reservation in 15 minutes..

Pam quickly apologized for losing track of time and started shuffling towards the door , Jim headed up the same moment before they both collided the too narrow for two people door frame and Pam almost slipped again this time clutching Jim’s shoulder to get back her balance. He raised his eyebrows at her before she raised her hand looking away “Not a word Halpert”. 


He laughed and they both headed to the door before she remembered to take her crossbody purse, and walked with extreme caution to avoid further slips. She was carefully looking down before each step before Jim extended his hand to her “Ready?”

She looked up, his face had no sign of ridicule but sincerity she found very familiar.

She linked her palm around his arm, leaning into him and set out for the date, which is going to change everything.


Chapter End Notes:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/yjCKnpZ1kHXxHSZOGBtvI4gI3kKS19A24hlDTHXUcO3eU7uu9jtuWc6EnYVfgUqT9RcWFE7vK5H6neuCx35kzHPCP1G9RO7oMNtbkoCY_-zV5mNi_4Uej8DA3-IFwF2T3bYgOBN3JsTs0De2zuo

Finally found the link to the picture that actually works!! I am very excited to share tis one because she looks so cute here :) 

 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans