- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This may not be as angsty as Jim, a lil more euphoria of Pam's heart. 

Oh my God it's happening !! Pam can't hide the happy tears that welled up when Jim asked him the question she had been waiting for the past one year ? longer ? forever? She doesn't know anymore. But she knows that she hasn't been this happy in a very long time.


She remember how ecstatic she was when she heard about the merger. She was thanking her stars to be able to get the chance to see Jim again after her big fukc up in summer. She almost started to believe that she deserves to be alone after breaking two hearts belonging to two people who loved her while breaking her own which belonged to the one she couldn't stop thinking about since. 


She remembers how all her hopes and excitement was killed the same day they were at its peak. The day that started before the dawn, her curling her hair and putting on some makeup and just trying to do everything to make it perfect. How she embraced him, trying to somehow communicate how much she yearned for him. And then they were back in their old form, her leaning on his desk, making jokes, pretending to give introductions to the very same colleagues they have both worked with together for years. She almost believed that finally stars are aligning for her and once this friendship is restored, she can be more. More than that. 


But he gave her a cold shoulder when she subtly asked him out and if that was not enough to break her heart , he told her at the end of the day how he is seeing another girl. He didn't have to put it in words but she understood the meaning - “ I have moved on and we are not even friends enough that i tell you who she is”. While she already saw the exchange of gum in the conference room as something more than familiarity, and her rubbing his back in the parking as more than comforting, she still was holding on to invisible thread that it doesn't have to be serious and she may still have a shot. This was all until those torturing words he said in the same parking lot where she tortured him too. 


She was reliving the same dread while talking to the talking head about Jim getting the job,thinking about her losing him all over again when he entered the room asking her the question, taking her breath away. She felt she was messing with her mind going back and forth again on what happened and what was happening, just like the entire summer she spent last year. 

She ordered her brain to stop after failing to register again what the doc crew asked her. They were smirking at her and clearly curious to dig her more for the new...ahem. ..development. But she  took leave from the interview stating she has stuff to do at her desk (and do a victory dance in her head) and almost ran to her seat at the reception. She was so overwhelmed, she wanted to relish the entire moment replaying in her head- his words and her “Yes”. She pushed aside all the dark thoughts and focused on the moment and Jim asking her -” Are you free for dinner tonight ? Then it's a Date.” 


She almost ran to her chair and sat down trying to gather her bearings. She noticed Jim is with Michael and seems like he is walking backwards, trying to escape his Michaelness. She was almost laughing at how desperate Jim is to get away from him, making her realize that perhaps he is rushing to plan their date. Their date. Tonight. At dinner. She got another wave of ecstasy and she focused on her computer to prevent herself looking like a lunatic to others.


She felt his eyes on her and for the first time in many years she didn't act like she didn't notice, she didn't waived it off as a friendly thing, She didn't fear that he would pretend and look at the wall behind her because for the first time she looked up him watching her and she wanted to do just the same, and this time none of them looked away.


Their smile froze when Micheal made an appearance from his office announcing Jim has returned and his family is back together for real. Pam couldn't agree more because this is real. He has really returned. To them. 


Pam looked at Jim, smirking at his embarrassment for being the centre of attention. But he wasn't looking at her but has turned his chair around and now setting up his desk. She cursed Ryan in that moment for being a brat and not giving Jim his chair when he came back in November, last year. She looked at Jim and started studying his back, as her favorite pastime in the last few months. She could tell from the tensing of those muscles what he is thinking or feeling. She remembers him easing up and relaxing while messing up Dwight. She noticed the subtle dip and tensed form when Roy started coming back to see her at reception. She has seen him being reserved around Karen, careful and almost cautious during conversations when she would get cozy and mostly act like...a girlfriend she was...is.. She doesn't know yet. Hopefully tonight will give her some answers she wanted for so long. She has been reading him like a book, book marking every move, discerning his mood because his face won't give away anything, not with the mask he had on since the day of merger. 


She broke staring at his back when Stanley passed the reception waving everyone, bidding them goodbye for the day. Everyone else was wrapping up on their desks while Michael was still talking to Jim. She barely paid attention until she heard him giving Jim tips about dating a boss in New York since he is a “Veterinarian'' in that. Jim made a joke about not owning a pet yet to really use his expertise and Michael laughed sharing how Jan can be a wild cat in the sack. 


And Just like that, it felt like he was back, really back. 


Chapter End Notes:

Thank you so much for giving my story the chance to be read and (hopefully) enjoyed by everyone who visit this.

Feedback is deeply appreciated ! 

I am gonna be working on next chapter soon. Hoping for posting it by next week. My attempt is to make this one a slow burn, or so I hope. 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans