- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I don't know how far I am planning to take this story. Perhaps only until when Pam calls off her wedding or perhaps further if I get some more inspiration and lots of love (reviews ;P)

Hope you all enjoy this one. 

Dsclaimer : As usual no claims to office and it's creators, but hoping to contribute to it's legacy. 

Pam doesn’t remember much where her day went. She felt sick in her stomach when her meemaw called her sharing that she has received her “Save the Date” invite and how much she is looking forward to seeing her favorite granddaughter getting married. 


Michael’s apparent despair faded once Ryan took Jim’s former chair but Pam only felt her emptiness deepening seeing him there instead of her best friend. Dwight looked disgruntled with Ryan’s appearance on his desk clump, saying amateurs shouldn't be sharing space with his superior sales skilled self. She, for once agreed with him, that Ryan didn’t fit there. Nobody really did but Jim. She thought back on the day Michael sat there one time, sending Jim back to the annex and she was annoyed all day, missing him and itching to go see him back there and almost did when Roy showed up. She didn't want to upset him and instead left messages to Jim, to not feel so disconnected. She felt that was one of the worst day she had and look where she is now.


She kept to herself most of the day except at lunch when she needed the distraction. She went to sit with the rest of her colleagues in hopes of ignoring the sinking feeling for not having her regular lunch partner with her. 


Her relief lasted only a few minutes before everyone started discussing Jim’s abrupt departure and off-handedly asking her in between if she knew anything about his promotion, the salary upgrade, move to Big city Stamford, being closer to NYC (and far away from here...from her). She practically ran off from the break room to get some air. She was overcome with guilt and felt she was responsible for Jim’s sudden disappearance from their lives.


She was happy when it was 5’o o'clock and this day was going to end. She wanted to rush home and go to bed and forget the world and pretend it is going to be okay. That it is not the end of the world that her best friend confessed his love for her, whom she rejected, then kissed, then rejected again has left without telling her and never bothered to tell her about his promotion opportunity, interview and transfer. That he hated her so much after her response that he didn’t even say bye to her before moving two states away. Two States. She looked up online how far it is, it turned out to be really far. Too far. 


She was quiet her whole ride home and was grateful to Roy for not saying anything. She went home, made dinner and fell into a restless sleep. It was already Thursday when Roy got irritated with her for making “Ham and Cheese” sandwiches now 4 days in a row. He left to hang out with Kenny when Pam’s mom called her. She reminded her of the seamstress’s appointment they had for Saturday for her dress’s final fitting. Pam tried to talk to her mom about her day, now days at work since Jim left but Helene sounded really preoccupied with upcoming D-Day. Pam felt nauseated with the mention of it once again. This has been happening to her, each time anyone talks about June 10th. Initially she confused it with butterflies in her stomach only to realize that she is frowning when Kelly asked her “If she is feeling peaky” and jokingly suggested if she is having second thoughts. Pam laughed off awkwardly at Kelly’s suggestion but felt even more confused because the idea didn’t make her disgusted but hopeful, before she dismissed her thoughts and got back to her fax.


Pam was sitting on the couch, looking at the long list of people who had been sent the “Save the date” cards and checking off the RSVP. She reached Jim’s name and felt a mix of anger and sadness and left the task to move on to get something to drink. Realizing that they are out of milk, she called Roy to ask him to bring that and a few more grocery items for tomorrow’s lunch. He was reluctant “Pam I am going to be late and you could make a run, it’s just around the corner”,but when she added to him that he could pick a crate of beer as well since they were almost out, he readily agreed. She smiled to herself, how well she knows him. She knew what gets him going, what he would like and what he wouldn’t. 10 years of relationship and she could read him like the back of her hand. He is predictable and wouldn’t just up and run away without so much as a “goodbye”. She's going to marry this one. This was meant to be. She felt a new energy in herself and got back to looking at brochures for their honeymoon. 


It was only next morning when she saw the fridge full with vanilla yogurt that she called out Roy. She asked him about why he brought vanilla when Roy distractedly responded that she asked him to bring flavored yogurt, while buttoning up for work. She could sense that an argument was about to begin but she couldn’t help herself, and asked him again why he brought Vanilla when he knew she didn't like that one. Roy answered in the annoyed tone that it was not his job and yet he brought that stuff while she was wasting time “drawing mindlessly on pages” and now she is throwing tantrums over choice of yogurt. How does it matter anyway, they are all the same. And he remembers it well that she likes it since forever, and left to start the car. Pam felt something shifting inside, she did like Vanilla 3 years back but one time she got sick after eating that and switched to berry flavored ones, sticking to wild berries, strawberry and her favorite mixed berry. Did Roy not know that ? Did he not know that she enjoys doodling, and it’s not just her leisure but more than that? Wasn’t he the one who would call her “Mindless drawings” as work of Art and even if she was “Artsy Fartsy Pammy”, he liked her just for being that?


Her reverie was interrupted by Roy’s Truck horn, she knew that the volume is just a reflection of his impatience. She put the vanilla yogurt in her purse and made her way to Roy. In an attempt to change the mood, Pam commented how she found great beaches to explore in Hawaii last night. Roy grunted noncommitly, but Pam was determined to make this right. She talked about how they could stay at one resort instead of booking at two different places and just explore the place on foot. Her excitement increased thinking of the sights and the landscapes and how she would just carry her sketch pad everywhere and capture everything beautiful. She was still listing out things she saw in the brochure last night, when Roy finally spoke “We are going to Mexico Pam” with a hint of condescension.  Pam was too shocked to respond before finally uttering “When did we decide that?’. Roy stated it was cheaper and they could use the remaining money for Truck’s upgrade. He added he already told the tour agent to book it for them . She opened her mouth to protest when he said “it’s too late to change their mind now”. Before Pam could process it all, the office building came into view and Roy parked the truck. He got out without waiting for her response and asked her to hurry. Pam stood at the Parking lot, while Roy was already on his way to the warehouse, his last words ringing in her head


Chapter End Notes:
I am open to feedback, suggestions and whatever thoughts and feelings you would like to share with me.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans