- Text Size +
People always ask me, "Cupid, why do you cause affairs and make people cheat and blah blah blah…" I don't, okay? I deal with love, and the majority of affairs are not driven by love. I'm not sure how many times I need to mention it, but I only have so much control over you mortals. No offense, but you can be pretty dense and selfish. There, I said it.

Stanley Hudson. He was quite the ladies man in college. There were a few who were almost something serious, but for the most part just casual flings and weekend romances. After he graduated, he finally settled down with his first wife Tamara. I felt good about the match, initially. They had quite a bit in common and got along well. They had a daughter, Melissa, two years into their marriage. Unfortunately, Stanley was stubborn and so was Tamara. Stanley rarely apologized and Tamara could hold a grudge with the best of them as well. That doesn't exactly bode well for a healthy marriage and the two divorced when Melissa was 9.

He lived the bachelor life for a few years after that. Melissa stayed with him every other week and he and Tamara discovered they worked much better as friends and co-parents than they did as spouses.

Then Teri Valencia came into his life. The two met when Stanley backed into her car in a parking lot during his lunch break one day. When I saw Stanley get out of his car, calmly admit fault, and actually apologize, I leapt at the chance to work my magic on the two of them. They exchanged numbers for insurance reasons, but Stanley would go on to use it for his own purposes.

Then they married.

And then…*sigh*.

Stanley suffered a minor heart attack in the office and then managed to find a spark with his nurse, Cynthia. (It wasn't me, I promise.) He tried to keep their relationship a secret, but thanks to the wildcard that is Michael Gary Scott, Teri most definitely found out. Somehow, even though he and Teri technically separated, Stanley managed to keep both relationships afloat. The scoundrel. It's a mockery of my profession, really.

But wait, there's more!

Apparently, Stanley's inner ladies man must have been alive and kicking because he added in a third woman, Lydia, whom his wife and girlfriend (ugh) didn't know anything about.

(In case it wasn't clear, by this point my hands have been thrown in the air and I have given up. Let Stanley Hudson do what he wants.)

Eventually, it all imploded. The documentary came out last year, the three women hastily left him (and actually formed a book club together, surprisingly enough), and Stanley moved to Florida.

And you know, I think maybe Florida was Stanley's true love all along.

Whatever.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans