- Text Size +
Despite what you might think, not all Gods are perfect. There are a few show-offs, sure, but we can make mistakes too. Sometimes you make a mistake that affects the entire trajectory of a man's life. And sometimes the direction of that trajectory is a steady downward spiral. So what?

Okay, it was February 13th and I was at Aphrodite's annual Valentine's Day party. Everyone was there, it was a grand old time. Anyway, I may have had a little too much of the Love Potion #9 and that stuff definitely makes me a little, hmmm...trigger happy? My buddy Apollo was supposed to cut me off after three drinks but he was too busy flirting with Juno and before I knew it, I was off making poor decisions.

Don't drink and matchmake, friends.

Long story short, I made Ryan Howard, who up until this point had made pretty solid dating decisions, go after Kelly Kapoor. Had I been in my right mind, I would have remembered why I take February 13th off. I also would have remembered that I need to be very selective when it comes to Kelly Kapoor. She tends to cling. But more on that later.

To be fair, Ryan seemed to realize his mistake once he got to work the next day. Kelly's true colors began bleeding through and they are some STRONG colors. But sometimes when I bring two people together, even if one or both of them realize it's a mistake, some of the "Cupid magic" remains and they keep coming back to each other. One of the downfalls of my job, really. I can't reverse what I've already done.

Ryan and Kelly were the epitome of "on again off again". Job moves, "trips to Thailand", blonde hair--they all contributed to the ebbs and flows of their relationship (okay, maybe not the last one but I said what I said). But somehow, for whatever insane reason, the two always came back to one another.

I was this close to having success with keeping them apart a couple times, mostly by steering Kelly in better directions, but whatever I said that one night on February 13th must have been strong because ultimately they ran away together. Ryan abandoned his child to be with Kelly. Yeah.

"But Cupid," you might say. "Isn't it your job to get two people together forever? You did that!"

Yeah, okay, they ended up together. But take one look at that relationship (and the blonde hair) and tell me a mistake wasn't made somewhere along the way.

One thing I have learned in this business: Success in the world of relationships isn't measured by simply being together.

It's far more complicated than that.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans