- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Pancake Day is a pretty big thing in the UK, well, at least in my house anyway. So I couldn't let one of my favourite days of the year pass without a little JAM. Incidentally, I do love a pancake with jam on it.

Big thanks to Yellowberry22 for as ever being a terrible beta.

I don't own any of the characters here or anything to do with the office, just a large collection of pancake recipes. 

Author's Chapter Notes:
This one is set the first weekend after Pam moved to New York.

It happened the first weekend that Pam had moved to New York.

"Man, I can't even remember the last time I went to New York," Jim said over the phone to Pam on one of their nightly calls, before realising he knew exactly the last time he went to the city. "I mean, where I got to do fun things I liked, you know?" he added sheepishly. He figured going to eat $30 burgers in some trendy restaurant, seeing half of a musical that he didn't want to see and spending $12 on a pint of craft beer that tasted vaguely like grapefruit, plus having an interview for a job he didn't want, oh and breaking up with a girl he didn't really want to be with, didn't really count as a fun trip to New York.

"I know what you mean," Pam replied, not wanting to question anything about his last trip to the city. "When you've been here before that, was there anything that you enjoyed? I've got a couple of ideas for us, but I don't wanna take over."

Jim's mind raced back to the two times he had previously been to New York City; visiting the UN with his classmates and a trip with his dad to see the fossils at the Natural History Museum for his seventh birthday. The birthday trip stuck in his mind more, particularly the plastic triceratops that his dad had bought him from the gift shop, but more so, the pancakes that they had eaten in the morning after taking an early train from Scranton.

"Ok, so don't laugh at me, but one of the things I really loved, and bear in mind I was seven," he warned Pam, "but there was this diner we went to for breakfast and the waiters all got up on the tables to sing and dance. I remember they did YMCA, and even my dad Pam, my dad, he even got into it. He was singing and doing the moves and it was just a lot of fun." Pam could picture Jim smiling at the memory in his apartment. "And they had these Fruity Pebbles pancakes that, oh my god, blew my mind as a seven year old. Man, they were so tasty."

"That sounds gross," Pam laughed. "But the place sounds kinda fun. Do you remember what it was called?"

"Beesly, it was like 20 years ago. I can't even remember the name of the restaurant we went to last weekend, let alone one from the ‘80s. It's not like it would still be open anyways. But, um, maybe we could grab some pancakes one morning though? That would be kinda cool."

"Definitely," Pam replied, with a smile in her voice and a plan already forming in her mind.

The next day in class, Pam asked her new friends if they knew anywhere that served Fruity Pebbles pancakes but no one did. A quick internet search as her professor was droning on about the history of logos brought up several diners in the city that served the pancakes. Eventually Pam found a search result for ‘Ellen's Stardust Diner', which, with its picture gallery of its staff dancing on tables on their website, seemed to be the restaurant that Jim had been to all those years ago. She quickly wrote the address down in her notebook, closed out of the search page and tried to follow along with what was going on in class.

Early Friday evening eventually arrived, bringing with it Jim on his first visit to see Pam. They had intended to go out for a nice dinner at a local Italian Pam had found, but after a week apart, it became apparent very quickly that they wouldn't be leaving Pam's bed anytime soon. They thought about ordering a pizza but round two kicked off as they were arguing about mushrooms. They fell asleep wrapped in each other's arms without ever setting foot outside of her dorm. 

The sun streamed through the flimsy curtains in Pam's small room on Saturday morning, waking them far earlier than either of them wanted. As Pam felt Jim waking up, all of him waking up, behind her, she really didn't want to leave the bed, but then remembered the plan she had for their morning.

"Wake up sleepy head," she said, turning in his arms, "we've got things to do today. I've got big plans for us." Jim just nuzzled her neck as he wrapped himself around Pam, pulling the covers around them and pushing thoughts of getting out of bed out of her mind. 45 minutes later, they were finally ready to get up.

"So where are we going then Beesly?" Jim asked as he walked out of her small en-suite bathroom, one of her only perks of being an RA. Pam eyed him up and down, still dripping, with a towel slung low around his hips, and forgot all of the plans that she'd made. Jim caught her staring and laughed. "Earth to Pam. Hello?" he teased.

"Oh, um," she stuttered as she snapped herself out of her Jim induced trance, "I was thinking we'd go get some breakfast, then maybe the Sports Museum of America opened a few months ago, so I thought you'd like that? And it's right across from the Statue of Liberty ferry so we could go up that. Could be kind of cool? And then maybe for dinner I found this place, Lolo's, it's a seafood shack and they do soft shell crab. Kinda wanted to cram as much in as possible. Show you a good time."

"That all sounds amazing," Jim said, wrapping his arms around her and bending down to kiss her. "But don't you wanna go to some galleries or the Met or anything? You know, something that you like?"

"We still have plenty of weekends left to explore New York over the summer, and I just want to show you a really good time so that you'll have a good, recent, memory of the city," she said.

"Pam, I'm here with you. We could literally sit in this room all weekend and it would be the best weekend that anyone has ever spent in this city."

She tiptoed up to kiss him before whispering, "get dressed Halpert," and swatting Jim on his butt, before disappearing into the bathroom herself. 

An hour later, they were finally dressed and walking down Broadway. They were bickering over where to stop for breakfast; Jim just wanted to go to the closest place that served breakfast seeing as they had skipped dinner the previous evening, but Pam kept finding fault with everywhere he pointed out that. They either didn't have the kind of eggs she wanted, it looked too crowded or she was sure she'd heard bad things about the place. Jim was starting to despair that he would never get to eat breakfast, when he stopped in his tracks and gasped at the diner that was directly in front of him. 

"Oh my god, Beesly," he exclaimed. "This is it. This is the place I told you about that my dad took me to. With the singing and dancing on the tables." Pam stared at how cute he looked. It was adorable how excited he was at his ‘discovery'.

"Yesss!" she said with a small fist pump. "I thought this was the place. I'm so glad it is."

"You planned this?" he asked, amazed. "How?"

"That my friend is top secret information, that you do not need to know. Come on, let's go get a table," she said, grabbing his hand and dragging Jim through the doors, still in a half shocked state. 

They sat down in a small booth and stared up at a waitress singing ‘A Whole New World' before starting to read from the huge plastic covered menus. 

"Oh my god look," Jim excitedly said, as he pointed to the ‘Showstoppers' part of the menu, "they've still got the Fruity Pebbles pancakes!" Pam smiled at how cute and excited he looked as he continued to talk her through the menu. "Oh, but they also have cinnamon roll ones and maple bacon. Oh no. There's peanut butter cup pancakes too. I mean how does that even work?"

"I guess you'll have to order some and find out," Pam teased. 

"But what about the Fruity Pebbles? They're why we came here. And the cinnamon looks so good. But you can't forget the bacon. It's bacon, Pam."

"You do make a good point my friend. So get the bacon then? I'm going to get the Denver omelette," she said decisively. 

"Hmmm, I have a better idea," Jim said in a serious tone. "What about if I got all four?" His face looked as though he'd discovered the cure for cancer. 

"Jim! You wouldn't be able to eat all of them. You'd be so sick!"

"Well, I didn't eat dinner and we burned plenty of calories last night and this morning. And I know someone who is definitely going to be stealing some of each, so really, it feels like an appropriate amount of food. My grandma always tells me I'm a growing boy, I need lots of food."

Before Pam could fire back a retort, the waitress came over. Jim ordered his four types of pancakes and a coffee, and Pam her omelette and a tea. 

"Have you got some other folks joining you?" the waitress asked. 

"No, just us," Pam replied. 

"You got a lot of food there for the two of you," she warned. "Sure you don't just want one of the pancakes?"

"Definitely want them all," Jim smiled. 

"Alright," the waitress said, pulling a slight face as she collected their menus. "Drinks will be right with you."

As they sipped on their coffee and tea, Jim and Pam enjoyed the show. A waiter was up on one of the tables singing ‘New York, New York', when their food came over. Pam's omelette was of a decent size, but the pancakes were ginormous. Each of the four plates held 3 large, fluffy pancakes, plus 2 pats of butter, a tub of Smuckers breakfast syrup and a squirt of whipped cream. 

"Ummmm," was all Jim could say as he stared at the food. Pam couldn't help but laugh at him and the predicament he'd got himself into. "What do I do? There's so much food!"

"She did warn you!" Pam laughed. She handed him his fork. "Guess you better start eating buddy."

Jim took the fork, picked up his knife and dove into the first pancake. 

"Oh my god Beesly," he said around a mouthful of the Fruity Pebble pancakes, "they taste exactly how I remember! You gotta try some!" He cut a piece and held out his fork for Pam to eat it. 

"Oh wow, that's actually really good. Gimme another bite."

"Um no, take some of the other ones," he replied protectively. 

"Oh I see, that's how it is. Pass the cinnamon one over then."

"Ok, but I want the first bite," Jim said, cutting a piece before Pam could even pick up her fork. "Oh no, these are too good to share. Sorry," he said before stuffing more pancake into his mouth. Pam just rolled her eyes at him before picking up her own fork. 

After their first few bites, Jim and Pam realised how hungry they were from missing their dinner the night before. They raced through their breakfasts, not leaving much room to chat. Well, Jim didn't have much space to talk. Once Pam had finished her omelette, she watched Jim devour the rest of his enormous breakfast. He ploughed through all the pancakes, switching between the different flavours as he went. She talked at him with the plans for their day, suggesting that they went up the Statue of Liberty before the Sports Museum of America as it would be less crowded in the morning. Jim nodded along as he stuffed his face. 

"Ok, I'm done," Jim finally said, rubbing his stomach. 

"What about those?" Pam asked, pointing to four bite sized pieces that were all on different plates. 

"Well, I felt bad that I didn't want to share," he said somewhat sheepishly, scratching the back of his neck. "So I want you to have the last bites."

Pam lent over to kiss him before happily trying the cinnamon roll, maple bacon and peanut butter cup pieces. When she got to the Fruity Pebbles one, she held the fork up to Jim's lips. 

"You should have this one. I'd already tried some and this was the whole reason we're here," she said. 

"I love you," he smiled before taking the bite from her. 

They paid up and left the diner, before hopping on the subway down to South Ferry Station. They walked over to Battery Park, purchased their tickets for the ferry and stood in line. It was at that point that Jim began to rub his stomach.

"You ok there?" Pam asked, looking up from the pamphlet about the Statue of Liberty she was reading.

"Yeah, just those pancakes. Feeling kinda full."

"I'm not surprised, you ate four people's breakfasts!" Pam exclaimed.

"I know, I know," Jim said, looking down at the ground.

The queue moved relatively quickly, and they made their way onto the ferry, taking a seat on the outside upper deck.

"Maybe the fresh air will help you feel a bit better?" Pam suggested as they took their seats. Jim nodded a little, feeling a bit too stuffed to be able to talk.

The ferry roared to life, and they watched Lady Liberty getting larger. After 10 minutes on the boat, they hit a particularly bumpy wave. Jim's hand flew to his mouth, but he couldn't stop what was about to happen. Running over to the side of the ferry, he vomited his breakfast all the way down the side of the Miss New Jersey. Pam followed him, rubbing his back as he continued to hurl over the side of the boat.

"Oh babe, here have some water," Pam said, rubbing Jim's back and offering him a bottle of water she'd pulled from her purse. He gingerly took it, thanked her and took a swig, but another wave caused that small sip to follow the same path as the pancakes. "Oh god, let's get you off of this boat. Here, just sit with your head between your knees for now and we'll get off as soon as we can."

"That's what she said," Jim said weakly between dry heaving into a plastic carrier bag Pam had found. Pam could only laugh at the situation. 

They sat on Liberty Island on an empty bench for a little while, but Jim wasn't feeling any better. They decided to risk it and get back on the ferry and head home, plastic carrier bag firmly attached to Jim. The subway ride home took them much longer than anticipated, with Jim having to make several emergency stops to jump out at stations along the way. When they eventually made it back to Pam's dorm room, Jim took up residence in her small bathroom, as Pam worked on an assignment for class at her desk, popping in every 15 minutes to see how he was doing. That night, rather than wrapped around each other in Pam's tiny bed again, Jim was wrapped around the toilet on the cold, tiled floor of the bathroom.

The following morning, they took it much easier, just eating some plain bagels that Pam had run out to get before Jim was awake. He left later that afternoon for Scranton, realising that he indeed had pretty much spent his first proper weekend in the city sitting in Pam's room. It wasn't quite the best weekend that anyone had ever spent in the city, but it was one he'd never forget.

Chapter End Notes:

Ellen's Stardust Diner menu with all of Jim's pancakes.

The Sports Museum of America opened in May 2008 and closed in February 2009, so they would have just about had time to make it there.

 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans