- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

I saw this challenge and I just had to write a fic about it! Especially with it being Thanksgiving and all! :D As always feedback is love!

Pam rolled over in her bed, glancing over at the alarm clock. The bright red numbers burned her eyes and she groaned pulling her pillow over her face. Even on holidays she could never see to sleep in, her body was just programmed to wake up at 6:00 in the morning whether she worked or not. Deciding that laying in bed made her feel unproductive Pam got up, sliding her cold feet into her slippers. She made her bed and went to the kitchen, switching on the new coffee maker her mom and dad had bought her as a housewarming present.

She was just about to phone her mom when there was a buzz from the intercom on the wall in the kitchen. Pam frowned, who was at her apartment so early in the morning? She hoped it wasn't Dwight, demanding an explanation as to why no one had told him that it was Thanksgiving and did Jim really think that he was going to get away this. Dwight was usually the last person to ever remember that it was a holiday and yesterday had been no exception.

"Hello?" She asked wearily, pressing the intercom, expecting Dwight's annoying tone.

"Beesly I'm freezing out here!" Pam froze, her hand still on the intercom. It was Jim. Jim Halpert, ex-best friend, and the man who made her realize that the last three years of her life she had been living a lie. The man she had rejected, wanting to 'find herself' without being attached to anyone, though it was apparent to everyone, including Pam, that she still loved Jim Halpert very much. "Pam? Are you going to let me in?" His voice had dropped the joking tone, and been replaced by something much more somber.

"Yeah, there you go." She pushed the unlock button. Suddenly she realized that she was still in her pajamas, the red flannel ones Phyllis had given her for her birthday. "Shit!" She muttered, running down the hall to her bedroom. She hastily pulled on a pair of jeans, slipping a sweater over her pajama top, rolling her eyes at the Scranton Community College logo on the front. She could hear him knocking and she ran back to the door, taking a deep breath before opening the door. "Happy Thanksgiving!"

Jim smiled, his cheeks and nose red from teh cold, but to Pam he looked more attractive than ever. She like that although still long, his hair didn't hide his beautiful green eyes. "Happy Thanksgiving, Pam." He said, rubbing his hands together to warm them up. Pam wanted so badly to just take his hands in hers, rub her hands over his palms, let the heat from her own hands soak into his but she just opened the door more, letting him into her apartment.

"So what's the occasion?" She asked, closing the door. "I thought you were going to Philadelphia to visit your parents and Jonathan." Pam said, feeling quite awkward about having Jim in her apartment. Though the last few weeks had been better, the tension slowly easing from between them, Jim and Karen were still seeing each other much to Pam's dismay though she tried very hard to move past it.

"Well..." Jim blushed a little bit, giving Pam that familiar smile she had ached to see for weeks. "I promised you last Thanksgiving that we would go to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, and it starts in three hours so we've got to leave now if we want to get good seats." Pam laughed, her smile widening from ear to ear. She had forgotten all about that promise and it warmed her whole body to know that Jim hadn't forgotten, and that even though there was still so much left unsaid between them, he wouldn't break his promise.

"You really want to drive to Manhattan?" She asked, increduously. Jim nodded, still smiling. Pam smiled and finally nodded. "Okay! Let's go!"

"I knew you'd be up for it, Beesly." He said, watching as she pulled on her coat, wrapping her thick purple scarf around her neck. "You should bring a hat, so your ears don't get cold." He said, grabbing her matching purple scarf, pushing it down onto her head. Pam laughed, trying to distract herself from the fact that she could feel Jim's wrists against her cheeks as he pulled the hat down onto her head.

"Oh! We should bring a blanket to sit on, and some hot chocolate." Pam said turning to move towards the kitchen. Jim grabbed her arm softly, stopping her.

"I've got it covered, Pam." She raised her eyebrows in teasing admiration. "what if I said no?" She asked as they left Pam's apartment and got into Jim's Toyota. She noticed the blanket and thermos in the backseat.

"I guess I would have driven to Philadelphia, drinking hot chocolate." Jim said, reaching over to turn on the radio, Christmas music filling the car. "I guess it's officially the Christmas season." He said, as Pam turned the music up, singing along to "A New York Christmas" by Rob Thomas

Call on your angels

Come down to the city

Crowd around the big tree

All you strangers who know me

Bring your compassion

Your understanding

Lord how we need it

On this New York City Christmas

Jim drove along Hwy 380, concentrating on the road, though he kept sneaking glances at Pam, singing along with the radio. It was so great to see her smiling and laughing, something he had missed so much those past few weeks he had been back in Scranton. He'd found it easier to deal with seeing Pam everyday if he had Karen to distract him but he couldn't help feeling slightly guilty. No matter how sweet Karen was, or how hard she laughed at his jokes, she just wasn't Pam Beesly.

So call on your angels

Your beaten and broken

It's time that we mend them

So they don't fade with the season

Let our mercy be the gifts we lay

From Brooklyn to Broadway

Celebrate each and every day

Of this New York City Christmas



OfficeSupplyGirl is the author of 3 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked The Best Laid Plans also liked 286 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans