- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Unfold wanted me to finish this, so here's the end (you all seemed eager for me to get to this one). Hope you enjoy it. I promise it's happy.
He proposes in the kitchen. Down on one knee while she’s making spaghetti. There’s a streak of tomato sauce on her cheek and her hair is tangled and wild. She knows because he snaps a picture of her just after she answers. He pulls a small disposable camera from his pocket as her mouth forms the word and *snap* there she is…frozen forever in tangles and spaghetti sauce, smiling wider than she ever has before.

“I want to marry you, Pam,” he tells her. “I want to be with you forever.”

She’s laughing and she doesn’t even see the ring before she says yes.

--

She buys her wedding dress at David’s Bridal. It’s off the rack, but gorgeous. The bodice hugs every curve and the full skirt swishes around her like a bell. She stands in front of the floor length mirror in the store for nearly an hour, watching the skirt swirl as she winds back and forth.

She asks Kelly to be a bridesmaid this time around and it’s only a little bit because Jim dared her to. It’s hard to resist when she’s so happy and Kelly has always been nice to her. They start eating lunch together so that they can talk about place settings and centerpieces and the best catering companies in Scranton. Ryan starts eating at his desk, but Jim grasps her hand under the break room table, strokes a thumb over her knuckle and stretches a grin across his face like he enjoys thinking about flower arrangements. She learns to hold a fork with her left hand.

--

The morning of the wedding she wakes up smiling. Her stomach feels warm and light and she’s shaking by the time she pulls back the covers.

Her mom drives her to the salon to get her hair done: long soft waves that cascade down her back. Her sisters surround her laughing and talking, but she doesn’t participate. She watches the mirror and bounces her feet up and down against the base of the chair, bites the inside of her lip to keep down the (happy) tears that are bubbling hot at the back of her throat.

At the church she reaches a hand out to touch the full-length mirror. She slides the ring off her finger to make way for the new one, cups it in her hand. She chokes down a smile as her father steps into the room. Offers her his arm.

The processional is slow but informal. No time is wasted on measured steps and counting. Her eyes catch his instantly and she feels the tears rising once again, burning her back teeth, her tonsils, her tongue.

They don’t write their own vows or deviate from the usual ceremony. She doesn’t even remember much besides “I do” and his fingers on her wrist. When the minister pronounces them man and wife Jim doesn’t even wait for permission. His lips press down on hers and his arm winds around her back, pulling her to him. She smiles against his teeth.


lit_glitter is the author of 4 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 9 members. Members who liked Weddings also liked 2044 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans