- Text Size +

 

It was on a rare occasion that she actually looked forward to her birthday.

 

Yet when she woke up on the morning of September 15th, a strange feeling buzzed through her stomach as she pressed down on her alarm clock to stop it buzzing. She lay back down against her pillows, staring up at the ceiling as a small smile appeared on her face.

 

It was her birthday. And she was actually looking forward to the day. Looking forward to … she shook her head, smirking slightly as she sat up. She knew that expecting something was stupid and childish, but she still couldn’t keep the grin of her face.

 

This was new. And new was always fun.

 

She showered quickly, tying her hair loosely in her usual half up half down style as she hopped around her bedroom, her shoe being forced on her foot. Her mother rang to give her a birthday greeting, along with the promise that they would do lunch on the weekend, and she was out the door before 8.

 

“Happy Birthday Pam,” Kevin greeted her in his usual dead pan voice as she walked into the office at roughly 8:30am. She smiled and thanked him, her gaze focused on her desk.

 

She wasn’t expecting to see a package lying on top of her desk.

 

Her gaze flickered to his desk to see it absent. A small feeling of disappointment trickled into her stomach as she looked back at the package. It was odd. Normally people would give the customary 'Happy Birthday' greetings to people on their birthdays in the office, but it was a rare occasion that she would have received a gift.

 

An unmarked gift, she noticed, fingering the pink box lightly. It rattled slightly and she looked around the office to see only Kevin and Phyllis sitting at their desks. No one else was in yet. Which left her feeling even more bemused.

 

She looked back down at the box as she gently took off the lid. It was at that moment that she knew who the present was from.

 

She snorted.

 

Dwight's bobble head. And a message.

Hopefully this will either make you laugh or make you cry. Either way it will annoy Dwight. Keep it safe. Our amusement depends on it. Happy Birthday.

+

 

She looked up at the front door everytime someone walked through it.

 

Dwight said Happy Birthday; trying to tell her a story about something that had happened to him on his birthday … she really had no idea what he was talking about. She just attempted to keep the smirk off her face as he spoke to her. Michael walked in, uttering loud words of greeting in his usual fashion.

 

He walked into the office late.

 

She smiled slightly as he shut the door behind him, looking slightly disheveled as he ran a hand through his hair and turned to walk down the hall into the office. He walked over to her desk and smiled at her. Her stomach fluttered.

 

“Sorry I’m late. Slept in,” he said softly, leaning over the counter to stare at her.

 

She smiled. “It’s safe,” she whispered softly.

 

He grinned. “I’m glad,” he replied, winking at her.

 

He brushed his fingers over the counter as he walked over to his desk, taking off his bag and placing it under his table. She returned her gaze back to her desk, and she saw a little package lying on the counter, wrapped in tissue paper.

 

She picked it up. Gently tore away the paper. And smiled.

A key.

And a note.

My place. 7. Bring your own key.

 

She looked up at him and saw that he was staring at her. She smiled. And nodded.

 

“Happy Birthday,” he mouthed.

 +

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans