- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Please please, please review! I have never done anything like this before. Thanks for the encouragement to continue with it. I especially need review and criticisms for the MA chapters, I am freaking to know what people think. Thanks.

Author's Chapter Notes:
Not sure if I got the rating correct, I didn't see any rating definitions. 

 Jim wiped his hand across his face, as he sat in his car in front of the building.  Getting up his nerve to go in.  How the Hell did I get myself into a situation like this?, he wondered to himself.

 

It had been awkward in the office ever since he had returned from Stamford.  He and Pam had never really been the same since Casino Night.  Of course, he was glad that Pam had called off the wedding, and if his declaration to her had any part in that, then he refused to allow himself to regret it.  But if it hadn’t.   If she was going to break off her engagement anyway, how much better it would have been for him if he had never said anything.  He could have just asked her out as naturally as anyone else, never letting on how deeply he already loved her.  Now it was too late.  He had overwhelmed her with his declaration, she had turned him down, twice, and it was over.

 

 Well, enough of that, he sighed.  Now not only do I have Pam feeling awkward around me, I have Karen too. 

He didn’t really know how Karen would be today.  He realized that he didn’t really know her all that well at all.  She was beautiful, fun and friendly and, on paper at least, a perfect girlfriend.  A perfect chance for him to leave Pam behind and move on.   He simply couldn’t do it, though, in the end.

 

Casually dating and hanging out together had been fine.  He knew, from the very beginning, that she liked him more than he liked her.  He was trying to like her as much as she liked him.  He could think of no reason why he wasn’t really that into her.  She was attractive, funny, smart -- he really could not think of any single thing to fault her with.  He seemed numb to other women ever since he had met Pam.  This was Katie all over again.  He had nothing to offer anyone right now.  Maybe if they had stayed in Stamford….but here, in Scranton, seeing Pam every day….

 

So now he had hurt Karen, like he had hurt Katie.  Except he still had to work with Karen, still had to see her every day, still had to see her every day in the office where he now also had to see Pam every day.  How the Hell did I get myself into this situation?

 

Jim got out of the car, picked up his briefcase from the back seat, swung the strap over his shoulder, and walked towards the door of the Scranton Business Park. 

 

*****

 

Pam wiped her hand across her face, as she sat at her desk in the office.  Getting up her nerve to put on her “I’m just fine” face to everyone at work, and especially to Jim and Karen.  How the Hell did I get myself into a situation like this? she wondered to herself.

 

It had been awkward in the office ever since he had returned from Stamford.  She and Jim had never really been the same since Casino Night.  Of course, he was the reason that Pam had called off the wedding.  She had had no idea that Jim would transfer to another branch.  He had caught her off guard on Casino Night, and when she realized what she had to do, he was already gone.  She had done it anyway, and gone through the whole thing by herself.  Not by herself, exactly, her Mom was there for her of course.  But when Jim never called,  never came back to talk to her,  never asked her out or sought her out at all, she feared the worst.  It was too late.  When he returned to Scranton, her final hopes were dashed.  He was back, but he had moved on already.  He was dating a wonderful girl that try as she might, Pam just couldn’t dislike.  It was over.

 

 Well, enough of that, she sighed.  If he and Karen ever break up, THEN I’ll have to say something about how I feel.   I’ll have to take that risk.  But that won’t ever happen. Karen knows a great man when she sees one.  I just have to keep putting on my “everything is fine” face.   

 

Pam turned on her PC, checked the fax machine and went in to the kitchen to put on a pot of coffee for the office and make herself a pot of tea.

 

*****

 

Karen wiped her hand across her face, as she looked at herself in the mirror of the Dunder-Mifflin Ladies Room.  Getting up her nerve to put on her “I’m just fine” face to everyone at work, and especially to Jim.  How the Hell did I get myself into a situation like this? she wondered to herself.

 

She hadn’t really known him that well.  Enough to know she really liked him.  Enough to work really hard to get him to show any interest in her.  Of course he was the reason she had moved all the way to Scranton in the merger.  She would never have accepted the transfer otherwise.  Stamford was a far bigger town, and an easy commute to New York City.  But Jim was going back to Scranton.   She decided for sure the night he told her he was going back.  They had all gone out for drinks, she and Jim were the last to leave.  She wasn’t completely sure if she had initiated the kiss goodnight, or he had.  But it was a good one and he seemed to enjoy it too.  It held enough promise for her to decide to move to Scranton.   

 

Now she just felt like a fool.  In the first week in Scranton, she could sense that Jim was not all that in to her.  He seemed to be distracted somehow.  She put it down to the move, and hoped it would get better.  But it didn’t.  When Jim kissed her, he seemed a million miles away.  There was nothing at all specific, she couldn’t put her finger on it.  He just didn’t seem really into her.  Being the gentleman, he had broken it off with her now rather than later, taking all the blame himself and assuring her that they would still be friends.

 

Well, enough of that, she sighed.  You have to make the best of this place now you are here.  Maybe she would see if Pam wanted to go out after work tonight.  They could have a Girl’s Night Out.   Pam knew Jim pretty well, had known him for years.  Maybe with Pam’s help, maybe she could convince Jim to give her another chance.  

 

 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans