- Text Size +

We Need To Talk

“Pam, we need to talk.”

Pam looked up at the tall figure looming over her desk. “Yes, Dwight?” she asked.

“Not here.” He looked around furtively; then gestured to the conference room. Pam shrugged and set the phones to automatic voicemail.

As she got up from her desk, she noticed Jim watching them curiously. She wondered if Jim had said anything to Dwight about what she’d said to Andy. She followed Dwight into the conference room where he quickly closed the door.

“Sit down,” he said, gesturing to one of the chairs.

Pam looked at the chair, then at Dwight. “Actually, I’d rather stand,” she said.

She walked Dwight shift from one foot to another. Then: “Look, someone told me that you said you have feelings for me.”

“Who told you that?” Pam asked.

“I can’t really say, but, the thing is, I’m not really sure if it was a reliable source, and …”

“Was it Jim?” Pam asked.

Dwight looked confused for a second. “No,” he said automatically. “I mean… I don’t know, I mean… no. It wasn’t.”

She realized he was telling the truth. “Who told you that, Dwight?”

“Look, it’s not important, the thing is that, while I’m really flattered, I’m already in a committed relationship. I realize you’re probably still hurting from Roy breaking up with you—“

“I broke up with him,” Pam said flatly.

“You what? I thought – I mean, I just figured that he would have—“

“What’s your point, Dwight?” Pam asked. She felt impatient now.

“Anyway, it’s just that, while I’m flattered, you know, I just … can’t.”

“I know,” Pam said. “You’re dating Angela.”

“What?” Dwight asked, suddenly flustered. “No I’m not! We’re just work acquaintances, and—“

“Dwight, I know you’re dating Angela, it doesn’t matter. Andy was the one who told you that I was interested in you, wasn’t he?”

“Yes.”

“Well, it was a joke. He was … well, it doesn’t matter, but I was kidding when I told him that. I don’t … have any feelings for you.”

“Really?” Dwight asked. He sounded a little disappointed.

“Really,” Pam said, putting her hand on his arm.

“Are you going to tell anyone about me and Angela?” Dwight asked.

“No, Dwight,” Pam said, sighing. “Office relationships are nobody else’s business, anyway.”

Dwight nodded. He gestured to Pam for a hug. Rolling her eyes, she hugged him quickly.

“You’re a good person, Pam.”

“Thanks, Dwight.”

In the main office, Andy stood next to Jim, staring at the conference room. “Just look at that. I can’t believe it. They’re totally flaunting their little ‘office relationship.’ That’s disgusting.”

Jim turned to Andy, a small smile on his face growing bigger. He straightened out his expression before saying, “I understand you’re probably still bummed about Pam. Believe me, I did not see that coming. I had no idea.”

“Yeah. Totally blindsided us both.”

Jim nodded, watching Pam as she stood in the conference room alone now, staring out the window. Dwight had gone into the back office.

Jim collected his thoughts, turning to Andy. “Anyway, I know I told you that you probably shouldn’t do it, but, you know, I may have misjudged … I have some great ideas on how you can get Angela to go out with you.”

“Seriously? Big Tuna, you are the man. Let me go grab a pad of paper.”

“I’ll meet you in the break room in five minutes,” Jim said, looking over at the conference room again. Pam was on her way out now, and she caught his eye, causing him to quickly look away.



GreenFish is the author of 15 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked There's Something About Andy also liked 82 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans