- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
It seems this year’s Dundees is by far the most interesting. (Based on two scenes from episode 2x01 “The Dundees”, Jim POV)

It becomes apparent now that Pam can’t hold her drinks, though I sort of figured that as she became more giggly as the night went on. Just before she went up for the award she was giving a speech for now, I was ready to start limiting her—it was one thing to let her get drunk, but it was an entirely different story to let her get sick from it.

Something had happened. I wasn’t sure what, but I figured it had to do with Roy. Right after she came back from being outside with him, she started sucking down the drinks, taking from other tables, even taking mine. I kept my eye on her, growing more and more worried as the night wore on.

“Finally, I wanna thank God,” she says now, staring at the stupid looking statue clutched in her hands. “…because God gave me this Dundee.”

She is making no sense. I can hear people snickering just a little bit and I try hard not to laugh myself. She’s straight faced as she says all this, hardly even noticing the stares she is getting.

“And I feel God…in this Chili’s tonight,” she finishes in a solemn tone. I shake my head and grin when she cheers, moving over to pull the seat out for her. All she needs is to miss it, fall, and hurt herself.

As I do so, I pause only for a moment to see her actually hug and kiss Michael on the cheek. He looks justifiably stunned, as am I. There are a few things in life I thought I would never see and that is likely on the top of the list.

She walks – no, bounds – over to me and I start pulling out the chair, expecting her to flop into the seat to continue finishing up her drinks. Instead she holds her arms out to be hugged. I comply with no hesitation.

Her arms wrap around my neck, nearly pulling me down to a stooping position. I laugh as she giggles gleefully; her enthusiasm is infectious. She pulls away only slightly and I glance down at her, only to find her leaning up suddenly, pushing her lips against mine.

For a second, my mind completely just leaves me. No thoughts, no feelings except the dull screaming of ‘Oh my god, she’s kissing me’ that repeats itself in my head. Then I come back, I know this is not the way I want it to be, no matter how much I want it to progress. I gently pry her from me and she breaks the kiss, holding my gaze for a second, a big smile lighting up her face.

I am still in shock but manage to wobble over to my seat as she sits. I glance over at her before looking away, feeling my cheeks begin to burn red from embarrassment. Any semblance of acting cool is thrown out the window; suddenly I feel like I’m a teenager shy around my first date.

She luckily, thankfully, notices nothing.

It isn’t much later on that we’re outside. Pam spots the camera and runs at it, probably startling him the way he jerks back a bit. I manage to only barely manage to calm her down. She grows mellow and calm for a moment as she randomly begins to hug everyone goodbye. Everyone plays along, lets her do what she wants for the most part.

After she’s done, I attempt to guide her to a bench. I had asked Angela to get her car and drive up instead of making Pam walk the distance. She was stumbling madly; I didn’t want her to get hurt. Angela agreed, though walked off looking rather annoyed about the whole situation.

Pam plops down and I sit next to her. She idly plays with the trophy she got, looking down at it thoughtfully.

“…I feel bad about what I wrote on the bathroom wall,” she suddenly says, not looking up. I glance over, a slight grin forming.

“No you don’t,” I reply matter-of-factly, shaking my head.

She laughs harder than she should and lets her head drop a moment as she tries to somehow compose herself. I see the lights of a car coming up to us and know it’s Angela.

“Oh, here she comes,” I announce and we both stand together. I know she isn’t going to be able to make it there by myself.

I guide her, my arm slightly extended and ready to catch her if she trips. She takes it slowly as I move around to the passenger side.

“Hey, um.” I look behind me to see she’s stopped, her expression growing serious. “Can I…ask you a question?”

A part of me is suddenly excited as I step closer, tilting my head a bit to the side. “Shoot.”

She stumbles back a moment, staring at me thoughtfully. The silence makes me more uneasy; for the first time in a while I can’t even read her face to know what she’s thinking. She suddenly seems to snap out of it, her eyes focusing on the camera before looking down at the ground.

Whatever was there is gone.

“Um…I just wanted to say thanks.”

What had I expected? Even so, I can’t help but feel a little disappointed. “That’s not really a question,” I mention, thinking maybe, maybe I can bring what was on her mind back. She does not reply and I know it is a lost cause. “…Okay, come on, let’s get you home.”

I open the door for her and she gets in, sitting down awkwardly. “Have a good night,” I say as I close the door. “Thank you, Angela.”

I can hear her grumble as I shut the door tightly.

The camera is still on me, I can feel him hovering just behind me as I watch them depart. My mind wanders to the moments before and the look she had given me. For a second, it had looked like…

I stop my mind from wandering too far from reality. After all, she was drunk—she probably really didn’t even have a question at all, never mind the one I was hoping for.

What kills me, really, is that she likely will not remember it or, even worse, might have really only did it because she was drunk.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans