- Text Size +
It hadn’t been too hard giving up his gift at first. She doesn’t often get things that are shiny and expensive. But she thinks about it, after seeing someone else with her gift, and it’s even easier getting it back. It’s something he’d really thought about. Not just something he’d thrown into a box. It’s not just a sweater.

When she opens the lid it’s much more than she’d expected. The things inside mean something to him. To the both of them.

=======

He’d had to say no to her gift. Not for the reason he’d given her, but because taking it from her meant taking back everything about her that he’d already tried to let go. There couldn’t be that thing between them anymore, the pranks, the joking around. He sees her accept a gift from Roy, throwing one arm around his neck, and it hits him like it used to, and he wonders if he should reconsider. Maybe accepting isn’t such a bad thing.

Before he even realizes what he’s saying, he’s admitting more than he really wants to. But by then he’s sure that if her gift still stands, he’s willing to take it. The expression on her face when he does is exactly what he expects. He tells himself he’s not really falling back. Maybe he’s taking a tiny step forward. Maybe she is, too.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans