- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you all for your reviews! I hope I haven't kept you waiting too long and that you enjoy this!

"Darryl! Hey Darryl, man I am so -" he stopped as he noticed for the first time who all was in the warehouse.

 

"What the hell is this?" Roy slurred as he screamed across the warehouse. He looked around, still swaying in place, before his gaze landed on Jim. "YOU!" He shouted before he started walking towards him.

 

Jim did nothing but stood his ground and matched Roy's glare as the drunken man made his way towards him.

 

Pam froze. She knew she needed to do something, take Roy aside and try and talk some sense into him, or at least get him away from Jim until he was sober.

 

Roy kept towards Jim. "What do you have to say for yourself, Halpert? You're the reason I'm not married right now, you piece of shit!"

 

Jim half laughed, infuriating Roy even further. "What!" he spat.

 

Jim opened his mouth and spoke in full sentences for the first time that day. "You're not married because you're an insensitive ass hole, which I have very little to do with."

 

Pam realized that she'd been moving towards the pair since she'd heard Jim laugh and was now nearly next to him. She stepped in front of Jim as Roy got closer, nearly spitting, "You son of a bitch!" in the other man's face.

 

"Roy," Pam said quietly, reaching her hand out to keep him back. She tried to step closer to him, putting more room between herself and Jim. She realized that the worst thing in this situation was for it to look to Roy as if she were protecting Jim. Maybe if she could just get closer to him, make him forget that he'd been ready to beat the crap out of Jim... "Roy, come on. This isn't a good idea. Let's go get some coffee and sober you up." She tried to reach up and lead him aside.

 

"No!" Roy waved his arms, knocking Pam's hands off him. Pam could hear Jim take a step forward behind her and waved her arm in his direction to stop him.

 

She stepped towards Roy tentatively. "Come on, Roy."

 

Roy looked for a split second as if he were considering her proposal, then in another split second became agitated again. "I said no, Pam!" Then to emphasize his point, he pushed her out of the way.

 

Pam had started to relax, thinking that Roy was giving in, and was caught off guard by the too forceful shove. She lost her balance and footing and tripped as her ankle caught under her and she fell hard into a nearby metal shelf.

 

"NO!" Jim was running at Roy and had tackled him down before Pam had hit the ground. He grabbed the other man by the shirt shaking him while screaming. "What the hell is wrong with you?"

 

A commotion to his right caused Jim to drop Roy back to the ground. Phyllis and Kelly had come to Pam's side and were trying to help her stand. They pulled her to her feet, only for Pam to collapse back to the ground, clutching her right ankle.

 

Jim felt the fight leave him and concern take over and he all but ran and crouched in front of her. "Pam?"

 

Pam looked up at Jim and could feel the tears forming behind her eyes. She'd been holding it in all day, all week really. But now, as he stared at her, worry and pain so evident across his face, she could no longer hold them back. The way Jim was looking at her, as if he were in physical pain at seeing her hurt. How had she managed to let this slip away? The thought only made the tears come faster.

 

He tenderly brushed her hands aside so that he could look at her ankle as Phyllis and Kelly, as well as the growing crowd just behind him, looked on. "Pam, it's starting to swell up already. We've gotta get you to the hospital. Can you stand?"

 

Pam took a deep break and tried to talk. "I don't kn..." was all she could get before the situation hit her and she was crying again.

 

Jim waited for only a beat before placing an arm under her knees and another behind her back and lifting her up. He tried to think the pain she was in, the hurt he was feeling, or his hatred for Roy. Anything but the fact that she was leaning flush against his chest and that his hand was resting on the bare skin of her knee. Or that her hands were going around his neck.

 

"Pam!" Roy shouted from his spot on the floor that he was trying to stand up from. "Pam, I'm so sorry! Are you okay? It was an accident."

 

Jim pulled Pam closer to him as he stopped and turned to Michael. "Somebody needs to call the police to have them pick him up."

 

Dwight jumped out from the crowd. "Yes! Yes, as a volunteer-"

 

"Police?!" Roy yelled, cutting Dwight off while Darryl helped him up. "What the hell are you talking about? It was an accident! Pam!"

 

"Yeah, well drunk driving sure as hell isn't. I'm sure they'll remember you from last time." With that he turned to walk out of the warehouse. It could have been his imagination, but as Karen caught his gaze, he could have sworn she almost smiled softly at him.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans