- Text Size +

 

The fourth fight ends up being their last.

It's right before Easter time and she knows it's bad when she sees Karen come out of the ladies' room and slide back into her desk with her eyes red and puffy. And she sees Jim come out of the kitchen and sit down at his desk with a look in his eyes that she's never seen before.

Karen gets up, storms over to Jim's desk, and slams a key on top of it.  It's so loud it makes Pam jump.

She watches Karen stare at Jim for a moment before walking back to her seat.

He gets up and heads for the side stairwell.

She stares at the silver key on top of his desk for about five minutes. She knows she can't get involved, can't say anything.

But it's Jim.

She puts the phones on automatic voicemail before quietly getting up and heading towards the door to the stairwell, hoping to God that no one notices.

She walks down the first flight, and he's sitting on the landing, his elbows on his knees.

"Jim," she says quietly, sitting down next to him.

"Pam, I can't. I'm sorry. I can't talk about it."

"Okay," she says softly. She wants so bad to touch him, to do something or say something that might bring the real Jim back. She starts to get up, but she feels his fingers brush her ankle. She sits back down.

"Stay here, okay?"

"Okay." So she sits, they sit, in complete silence for the longest time. She watches him, his eyes squeezed shut, the heel of his hand pressing into his forehead.

She takes her hand and tentatively places it between his shoulder blades. When he doesn't flinch or move, she begins to rub slowly.

"It's over, I guess," he says, his voice weak. He takes in a deep breath.

"I'm sorry, Jim." And she is sorry.

"I don't know. It just...I wasn't enough, I guess. I couldn't give her what she wanted. It...I wasn't enough. You know?" He looks up at her, his eyes asking a million questions. He wipes a stray tear from his chin.

Pam feels her chin begin to quiver and she nods, pressing her mouth into a line. "I know."

"I guess it was all wrong. Wrong timing, wrong pretenses. Just...being in two different places, or something."

"Yeah."

He puts his hand over his mouth, squeezing his jaw. She continues to scratch his back lightly.

They sit like that for ten more minutes until he gets up, and she stands after he does. He grabs her hand for a second, her fingers wrapped in his. He catches her eyes with his, and his lips quirk into the faintest smile.

He doesn't have to say it, but she knows. She really, really knows.

 

 



69 cups of noodles is the author of 31 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 6 members. Members who liked Not Involved also liked 1204 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans