- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

It's company picnic time! :) 

 

Thanks so much to my 3 betas this time around, Azlin, Muggins, and Nomadshan.  You guys seriously rock...and having so many different opinions is very nice. :)

The July sun coming through the tall trees felt warm on his back.  The smell of summer wafted through the smoke coming off of the grill.  His employees were all gathered around the park with their families.  He was genuinely impressed by his own ability to organize a picnic. A football landed at his feet. He looked up to see a pack of boys, shirts un-tucked, faces dirty.  If he wasn't supposed to be ‘the boss', and if these weren't new white trousers, he would have joined them.  He decided to participate the only way he could: he launched the ball across the park sending the boys running, screaming, "I got it!"

 

Across the field he saw her. She was wearing his favorite dress, the one she had made just for today. She had a burly man behind her. Jim assumed this must be the famous Roy. 

 

He smiled brightly at Pam as she got closer, "Happy Fourth, Miss Beesly."

 

"You too!" For some reason, she wanted to hug him.  It seemed alright since they were out of the office, but the casseroles dish in her hand and the man at her side changed her mind. "Roy, this is my boss, Mr. Halpert."  Even now, she just couldn't call him Jim.

 

Roy held out a hand. "Roy Anderson."

 

Jim noticed the coal on Roy's knuckles and under his fingernails. "It's very nice to meet you, Roy."

 

"Listen, I really appreciate you giving Pammy this job.  She's much easier to deal with now that she's busy."

 

Jim gave a pained smile. "Glad I could help out."

 

"So you got any food? I'm starved," Roy announced.

 

"Well, a few guys are grilling over there, and I can get that dish to the table for you Pam. It looks heavy, and smells delicious."

 

"Thank you," she blushed a little, "But Roy can do it," she said, handing it to Roy, her eye's never leaving Jim's.

 

When Roy had ventured off toward the grill, Pam said, "I'm so sorry we're late.  Roy had to work this morning, and unfortunately he has to go back in a few hours."

 

"You won't get to stay for the fireworks? That's really a shame because I've got a pretty impressive show going. I have two boxes of sparklers."

 

Her eyes went wide, her smile wider, "Wow, Mr. Halpert, two whole boxes? Too bad I'll miss that." She winked before walking ahead of him toward the group of employees gathered near the tall Oak tree.

 

The urge to touch her returned with a vengeance.  The light pink dress against the summer glow of her skin took his breath away.  She turned suddenly, snapping him from his daze.

 

"I'm going to introduce myself to some of the wives," she told him, "I hope that see you around. This picnic really is very nice."

 

It meant more coming from her than anyone else.

 

Pam was really enjoying herself. There were at least twenty wives and daughters for her to meet.  She rarely got to spend time with women who weren't her mother.  She was bouncing Lucille Henslin's baby, Susanne, on her knee when she felt a tap on her shoulder.

 

"Come on, Pammy, we got to go."

 

She reluctantly gave the baby back to Lucille and quickly said a general goodbye to everyone within earshot before following Roy across the grass.

 

She spotted Jim with some kids, playing quarterback for their football game.   The sleeves of his plaid shirt were rolled up past his elbows, and there were grass stains on his trousers. His normally combed, slick hair was tousled around his head. Seeing him in this whole new light made her feel something she couldn't quite place. She knew that if she were to figure it out, it would only mean trouble.

 

He saw her, and stopped to flash a smile, ball still in hand.  Before he could even show his teeth, (not so) little Billy McCoy took him down to the ground.  She rushed over to him, a small giggle escaping her lips. "Are you alright?" she asked, holding out a hand to help him.

 

Roy was shouting from across the field, "Pam! Now!"

 

She let go of Jim's hand abruptly. "I have to go," she called over her shoulder sadly, rushing off after Roy.  From the ground he watched her scamper away, her dress swaying around her knees.  Roy grabbed her arm just a little too hard.  Jim wanted so badly to go after him, tell him that he'd better not touch her like that ever again.  She wasn't his property, she was a lady.  A beautiful, refined lady that would be so much better off with someone else.  It didn't hurt that Jim just happened to know someone who would fill the position perfectly.

 

By the time he had finished his thoughts a crowd of boys had gathered around and Roy's truck had peeled out. Jim looked up at their bewildered faces.  Sadly, he was closer in age to some of them than his own employees. 

 

"Are you alright, sir?" the smallest one asked.

 

He sat up on his elbows. "I'm fine," he sighed. "All right gentleman, who wants to help me set up fireworks?"


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans