- Text Size +

Pam giggled behind her hand, desperate not to give the game away. For the past two weeks, she and Jim had been systematically raising Dwight’s chair about a quarter of an inch each day. It was surprisingly difficult to be accurate, and they had to do it in incredibly small increments over a fair length of time to assure that he wouldn’t catch on.

 

As it was, the change was so gradual, he hadn’t even noticed that he was sitting nearly three inches higher than normal. Pam giggled again, wondering if his feet were still flat on the ground.

 

The plan was to wait it out until they had gotten the chair to its full height capacity, then wait for the perfect moment. If everything went well, Jim would get him to reach across the desk for something, effectively getting him up off his chair for a few seconds while Pam crossed behind him. As soon as he’s up, she’ll lower the chair as far as it will go. Wackiness will then ensue.

 

The mental image of Dwight leaning back into his chair, completely unsuspecting, and falling backwards in shock…well, it was hysterical. And every now and then, it would just randomly pop into Pam’s head, causing her to giggle.

 

To the entire rest of the office, it appeared that Pam had begun to laugh at seemingly unpredictable moments. Only Jim understood, and he was so amused that he couldn’t even look at her when it happened, lest he crack up as well (which could be sufficiently suspicious for Dwight to figure out that something was going on).

 

Pam was incredibly pleased with her role in all of it, but was also somewhat distracted by the possibility that she wouldn’t get the chair down in time, or that Dwight would catch her at it. In an effort to dispel this possibility, she’d spent the last week or so practicing on the chair at the empty desk that used to belong to Devon. She’d been pleased to inform Jim that she was doing a lot better.

 

Scrunching her eyes together, she pushed the ridiculous image of Dwight from her mind and forced herself to relax. She took a few deep breaths and smiled softly.

 

That was better.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans