On this page we will attempt to compile as much background and facts as we can about the Characters of Pam and Jim. We will include family trees, timelines, and factoids from the show. This can serve as a resource for your canon-compliant fics or just general trivia knowledge!
Spoiler Warning for new fans: This page will contain info from the entire series, if you're not through the series yet and trying to stay unspoiled you should probably stop reading here.
- full name: Pamela Morgan Beesly-Halpert
- birth date: March 25, 1979 1
- portrayed by: Jenna Fischer
- hometown: Scranton (Archbald), Pennsyvannia 2
- current residence: Austin, Texas
- Jim Halpert - husband
- Cecelia "CeCe" & Phillip Halpert - daughter and son
- Helene & William Beesly - parents (divorced)
- Penny Beesly - younger sister
- Sylvia (Meemaw) - grandmother 3
- Phillip - grandfather 3
- Roy Anderson - ex-fiance
- Isabel Poreba - friend, bridesmaid
- Danny Cordray - briefly dated 4
- High School - Valley View High School, Archbald PA
- Higher Education
- attended unnamed college (Marywood University in Scranton?5) - unknown completion status
- attended Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY - didn't complete degree
1. Pam's birthday was never mentioned on the show itself, this date comes from NBC.com declaring this Pam's birthday to promote a bobblehead sale. Both Pam and Jim share the same birthday month as their respective actors (Jenna Fischer's birthday is March 7)
2. It's confirmed in Season 4 (Job Fair) that Pam went to Valley View High School, which is in Archbald, PA, indicating this may be Pam's hometown.
3. It's not confirmed if Grandma Sylvia is Pam's maternal or paternal grandmother. Same with Grandpa Phillip.
4. Danny Cordray was introduced in Season 7 where it was claimed he and Pam dated briefly in Season 3 when Jim was in Stamford. Danny can be considered a retcon, while claiming he and Pam dated doesn't necessarily contradict previously established canon, there's little to no indication Pam dated anyone during this time in S3 aside from her single awkward date with Kelly's neighbor Alan in "The Convention".
5. Jenna Fischer once ran a MySpace page as Pam and here she listed Pam attended Marywood University from 1998-2000, however this was just Jenna's personal backstory for her character and this was never confirmed or refuted on the show.
- full name: James Duncan Halpert
- birth date: October 1, 1978 1
- portrayed by: John Krasinski
- hometown: Scranton (Dunmore?2), Pennsylvannia
- current residence: Austin, Texas
- Pam Beesly - wife
- Cecelia "CeCe" & Philip Halpert - daughter and son
- Betsy & Gerald Halpert - parents
- Pete Halpert - brother
- Tom Halpert - brother
- Marci - sister-in-law (Tom's wife)
- Vanessa - niece (Tom's daughter)
- unnamed nephew & unnamed niece/nephew 3
- Larisa Halpert - sister 4
- Mark - former roommate
- Katy Moore5 - ex-girlfriend
- Karen Filippelli - ex-girlfriend
- High School - Unnamed Scranton-area school (West Scranton or Dunmore6)
- Higher Education - attended unnamed college, unknown completion status
1. Like Pam, this date is never mentioned on the show, just a date NBC.com declared Jim's birthday to sell discounted bobbleheads. Jim does however share the same birth month as John Krasinski (whose birthday is October 20)
2. There are a handful of hints that Jim possibly grew up in nearby Dunmore, namely a deleted scene from S3's Product Recall where Jim indicates he attended Dunmore High (more on that under note 6). There's also a deleted scene where Jim says he took Pam to Cugino's (located in Dunmore) the first day they met, and there's a line in later seasons about him going to the Dunmore Fleamarket, indicating he's familiar with the area. He also states his parents house that he buys is on (fictional) Linden Ave by the quarry and there is a quarry by Dunmore. However this is never explicitly confirmed on the show.
3. It's established Jim has a niece named Vanessa (who plays trumpet) in 5.05 "Employee Transfer" and Jim mentioned his nephew's T-Ball game in 5.01 Weightloss. In the prior season, 4.06 Branch Wars, Jim states his brother had a "new baby". Since it's highly unlikely the new baby was already playing trumpet or t-ball less than a year later, this is a possible 3rd niece or nephew for Jim.
4. Larissa was given as Jim's emergency contact in 2.06 The Fight and then four seasons later was tepidly confirmed to be Jim's sister in Niagara.
5. Katy's last name isn't ever mentioned on the show nor is it listed on IMDB, so the origin of "Moore" is unknown to us right now.
6. Jim's high school is never explicitly named but there are hints he either attended West Scranton or Dunmore, jump down to "Jim's High School" in the next section for the evidence.
A Rough timeline of events
October 1, 1978 - James Duncan Halpert is born
March 25, 1979 - Pamela Morgan Beesly is born
1996 or 1997 - Pam begins dating Roy Anderson around this time
Spring 1997 - the likely time both Jim and Pam graduated from high school
2002 - Both started working at Dunder Mifflin about this time. Pam gets engaged to Roy
Spring 2005 (possibly Summer) - a documentary crew starts filming at Dunder Mifflin
Fall 2005 - Jim very casually dates Katy.
January 2006 - Roy sets a wedding date for him and Pam, Jim ends his relationship with Katy
May 11, 2006 - Jim confesses to Pam he's in love with her. He transfers to Stamford, CT very shortly after
June 8, 2006 - Jim's planned departure to Australia
June 10, 2006 - Pam's planned wedding date with Roy
Mid-November, 2006 - Stamford branch is closed, returning Jim to Scranton (The Merger episode aired 11/16/2006). Jim also starts dating Karen Filippelli about this time.
February 2007 - Pam briefly rekindles her relationship with Roy after Phyllis' Wedding, but breaks up for good after just a couple weeks (Cocktails).
May 17, 2007 - Jim asks Pam out for their first date
May 24, 2007 (or around this time) - Jim buys an engagement ring (he just knew, okay?)
July - October 2008 - Pam attends Pratt university
August 2008 - Jim proposes to Pam at the Exit 17 gas station.
October 2008 - Pam leaves Pratt, Jim buys his parent's home for them.
Mid-May, 2009 - Pam finds out she's pregnant
October 8, 2009 - Jim and Pam marry in Niagara Falls
March 4, 2010 - Cecelia Halpert is born
December 5, 2011 - Philip Halpert is born
Fall 2012 - Jim joins a start-up called Athlead with his college friends
May 2013 - the documentary finally begins to air on PBS
May 2014 - the documentary crew returns to Scranton for bonus footage and to film a panel discussion. Pam agrees to move to Austin so Jim can join Athleap full time.
Here we'll cover some of the things that were never quite confirmed on the show but are widely accepted in the fandom
Pam's college: unconfirmed but widely theorized she attended and later dropped out of Marywood University
Before she attended Pratt, Pam made a couple passing references to attending college It is widely theorized she attended Marywood University in Scranton and we actually have Jenna Fischer to thank for that! Jenna ran a MySpace page as Pam and there she listed Pam attending Marywood from 1998-2000, however this was just Jenna's personal backstory for her character and this was never confirmed (but also never refuted) on the show. Pam is also often portrayed as dropping of college, Jenna in her personal backstory only has Pam attending college for 2 years.
Jim's high school: unconfirmed, indications he attended West Scranton HS or Dunmore HS.
The only thing we can say for sure is Jim did attend a local high school, but exactly which school is never confirmed. There are hints he either attended West Scranton or Dunmore: the main clue that he went to West Scranton is Jim's yearbook says "Invaders" on it which is West Scranton's mascot. The support for the argument that he went to Dunmore comes from a deleted scene from Product Recall where he talks with a student at Dunmore High and asks if a certain teacher still teaches there, there are also a few small clues that he may have grown up in Dunmore.
Jim's college: unconfirmed, often sent to Penn State or (less frequently) the University of Scranton in fics.
Like Pam, Jim also only ever makes a couple passing references to attending college. In S9, he starts up Athlead/Athleap with a college friend, but which college is never mentioned. Back in S1, he does wear a University of Scranton tee-shirt during the basketball game but he isn't ever shown wearing it again. In fanfic, Jim's typically sent to a nearby university, Penn State being by far the most popular choice.
Common Fanon later refuted by the show
Names of Pam and Jim's family members: No one in Pam's family and nearly no one in Jim's family was named before they got married in Season 6, so readers can expect to encounter many names as the browse the stories.
Jim's brother Jonathan: created by girl7, Jonathan Halpert was Jim's older brother who became a popular OC here on MTT and was "borrowed" by several MTT authors. Girl7 said frequently she envisioned Jonathan being played by Scott Foley. When Tom and Pete Halpert were introduced in Season 5, we were all a little disappointed.