- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm going to try to continue this because of YOUR feedback. I hope I can sustain a storyline!

Disclaimer: I own nothing associated with "The Office."

The morning after Phyllis' wedding, Pam woke up alone in her own bed. She loved her bed. She'd never told anyone how proud she was of it. She'd researched mattress types, compared prices, waited for sales, selected the colors she wanted for the comforter, and even haggled with the salesman all by herself. This bed was truly hers. It was hard to believe she hadn't slept in it for nearly nine months.

It had been too easy. Exhausted from dealing with Craig, battered from watching Jim and Karen, tipsier than she had realized, and flattered (she cringed at the realization) by Roy's attention, she'd given in with no resistance when he invited her "home." Being with him was comfortable- he knew what she liked, all the ways to touch her that she hadn't been touched since she had left him. She didn't let herself think about anything as she drifted off to sleep curled up beside him just as she had for so many years.

Pam wrapped the sheet around her and crept to the bathroom. The yellow handtowels she'd bought hung at limp angles, and she wondered fleetingly if he'd thought to wash them since she'd moved. It was very strange not to have a toothbrush in the holder, but she did find some of her own facial cleanser under the sink. She washed and dressed, preparing herself for what was next. When the fourth step down squeaked just as she knew it would, she almost cried.

"Hey. I didn't want to wake you. You looked comfortable- right at home." Roy was grinning at her winningly as she entered the kitchen, but his words clearly weren't spoken lightly, and Pam knew he was going to press his advantage. She didn't want to give him a chance.

"Yeah, I slept well. Listen, Roy, last night...it shouldn't have happened."

Roy nodded with a half-smile, as though this were exactly what he'd expected her to say. He pushed the newspaper aside and stood up, looking down into her eyes. "Why not? I still love you, Pam. It's not to late to start over. I want you back. I think last night proved we can still be good together."

Pam still loved Roy, too. The ache in her heart told her that she always would. However, she also knew that she didn't love him the way he wanted her to. She loved him with the sentimental, childish love of a schoolgirl, and with the fond devotion of..well, a sister (they had grown up together, in many ways). There was no passion, no maturity, no room for growth in their love. He wanted her to come back to him the way she had been, and she couldn't. She wasn't.

He was waiting for an answer. "Last night was great. That was never our problem." She was being truthful, for the most part. Their sex life had always been good, at least until she'd started envisioning other hands and other lips when they were together. Pam hoped Roy would never have to know about that.

"Oh. It was great, but it didn't mean anything." Roy's voice was flat, his eyes red. His face still had the same half-smile, deepening one dimple in a way that made Pam want to cling to him and weep.

"It did mean something...but it doesn't change anything. I'm so sorry. It was wrong of me to let you think...I'm sorry, Roy. I- I have to go."

"Why?"

"Because I don't live here anymore." Pam pressed her lips lightly to Roy's cheek. With a sad smile, she left without another word.

***

The morning after Phyllis' wedding, Jim woke up alone in his own bed. He'd told Karen he had a headache. It was a lie. It was the first real lie he'd told her. He'd evaded, exaggerated, made light of, omitted, and hedged, but he hadn't lied until now. He stared at the garter on the nightstand and wondered if Pam had really gone home with Roy. He wondered if the thought of them together would ever hurt even a little bit less.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans