- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here is another chapter! This chapter might read a little slow, but I assure that there is more on it's way. Thanks for reading! Enjoy!

Pam unlocked the door to the flat and walked into the dark living room. It was pitch black except for the blue light shining from Ben’s laptop as he sat on the couch. Pam tip toed her way across the room until he looked up at her.

“Have a nice evening?”

“Yeah. We just went out and saw the sights.”

“Cool.”

Ben looked back at his screen and clicked the mouse. He kept his gaze on the screen until Pam walked slowly past him when he turned to watch her go.

“Hey. Did you realize that we only have one week left in our internship?”

Pam turned back around. “Yeah. It’s sad.”

“Are you staying?”

“I think so.”

“Are you staying because of him?”

“Um…I don’t know. It’s a perk, I guess. Are you staying?”

“I might.”

“You should. It won’t be the same without you.”

“You can manage. You’re great.”

“You too,” she said as she walked to her bedroom.

----

The next morning, while Pam was getting ready in the mirror Andrea came in to tell her some news.

“Jan and the company are throwing us interns a goodbye party on Friday night!”

“Cool. Where’s it at?”

“I think they are having it here. She said that they are bringing the food and drinks. Oh, and we can invite friends and family, or coworkers. I’m excited!”

“Is it a formal event or laid back?”

“I think it’s a classy event. But, who says we have to wear our office clothes? Let’s go shop!”

“We should since it’s like our last time to shop together.”

 

“After work today we should go.”

“That sounds great.”

----

After work and eighteen boutiques later, Pam and Andrea had their outfits picked out for the event. It wasn’t much, but something to be excited to buy a new outfit over.

Andrea bought a cute dress with a nice pair of black heels. Pam went with a similar type of dress and some strappy sandals. They both thought the other looked amazing.

---

At work the next day, Pam finished up her project for the week early. Ben was still working on his project and Pam had nothing to do. She would throw a little piece of paper in his direction to distract him, entertaining herself in the process. Every now and then he would look up with a smile and throw a piece back at her. When that game got tiring she decided to call Jim and mess with him for a little bit.

“James Halpert’s office. How can I help you?”

“Stacy, can I speak with Jim?”

“Hold please.” Pam rolled her eyes knowing that Jim was probably sitting at his desk playing his solitaire.

“Hello?” said the rough voice over the other line.

“Mr. Halpert, we have decided that there needs to be some more changes made in corporate and I’m sorry to inform you that we have to let you go, without severance,” Pam said in a mock voice.

“Excuse me?” Jim said, then realized that it was Pam. He laughed over the other end. “I was about to get mad. I would have had to run out of the office and return everything I just bought.”

Pam giggled. “Hi Jim.”

“Hey. How are you?”

“Good. I’m a little bored though.”

“Oh, God. Me too.”

“You aren’t supervising anyone today?”

“Supervisors are just the people that keep a close eye on each branch. I haven’t had to go out and visit any of the offices yet.”

“Lucky.”

“So, do you want to grab some lunch?”

Pam hesitated. She knew that she and Ben always had lunch together and she didn’t want to leave him alone. “Uh, actually I already have plans for lunch.” Ben looked over at her and gave her the nod for her to go. She shook her head at him to assure him she didn’t have to go.

“Oh.” Jim said.

“It’s just something that I do everyday with Ben.” Ben shook his head again and then took the phone out of her hands and put the receiver up to his mouth.

“She’d love to go to lunch.”

Jim smiled and answered back, “Thanks.”

When Pam got the phone back from Ben she was blushing and felt like she could punch him.

“I guess I can go now.”

“I’m glad I have permission.”

“Do you want to meet me in the break room or do you want to go get something?”

“I was thinking about going out.”

“Okay. See you at lunch.”

“Great. Bye Pam.”

Ben looked over smiling from ear to ear at Pam. She picked up another piece of paper and threw it at him.

----

“So, have you made up your mind about staying in New York?” Jim asked as they sat in a restaurant near their office.

“I think I am. It’s such a great job.”

“That’s awesome. Now I can have a friend in New York.”

“Oh, I thought you had about twenty women drooling over you.”

“I had to turn them all down.”

Pam played with the rim of her glass. “Are you getting a big head Mr. Halpert?”

“You’re just jealous,” Jim said as he smiled. Pam made a face because she felt like she was a little bit jealous. She just looked at him and smiled like normal. “Girls just can’t deny the Halpert charm,” he continued.

Patting his hand Pam replied, “No they can’t.”

Jim lifted his eyebrows and leaned in. “I know one person that’s been able to resist though.”

“She’s a very smart girl,” Pam said as she pushed her hair behind her ear.

Jim glanced back and forth between his napkin and Pam. “Why do you say that?”

“Once she had you, she would be useless to the rest of the world.” Pam smiled and Jim let out a chuckle.

“Well… I’ll be all she needs.”

“She knows that.”

Pam’s heart quickened when she realized what she had said. She was playing along and she had let out one of her true feelings. She saw his demeanor change and his hand reach out to take hers. To avoid an awkward moment Pam spoke up.

“Jim, would you like to come to the party that corporate is having for the interns? They said we could invite friends and I don’t really have anyone else to invite.”

“So, I’m basically your only option.”

“Yes...”

“I’ll be there.”

----

As Pam slipped on her dress and did the final touches to her hair, she thought about having to say goodbye to everyone. She didn’t want to lose such a great roommate like Andrea. It was way better than being alone in an apartment. Then Pam thought about the apartment she was going to have to find so she could stay in NYC. She hadn’t thought about finding a place yet.

The caterers had already showed up to start setting up the food and the drinks. They had set out some tables and chairs with nice linens and candlesticks. Pam rushed around to get ready and finish putting her things away so if anyone decided to come into her room, it would be clean.

 

The party started with some people turning on some music and talking. Many of the interns had brought their significant others and their families. Pam had known that her mother wouldn’t want to drive three hours to come to a party. Andrea looked great in her dress and her boyfriend had come up from Jersey to be with her. Pam stood talking with Andrea and her boyfriend when Jim came in the door with his work suit on. Pam skipped over to where he was and gave him a peck on the cheek. He smiled and stood back to take a look at her dress.

“Man, New York shopping does wonders.”

Pam smiled and then twirled in her dress. “Yes it does.”

“So, what’s happened? Sorry I’m late.”

“You’re just in time. Nothing has happened. It’s pretty boring.”

Jim laughed. “Introduce me.”

“Why? All of the girls already know who you are.” She said as she let out a laugh and a smile.

“Come on Beesly,” said Jim as he tugged on her arm.

----

By the end of the night, Pam had introduced Jim to her roommates and given him a tour of the apartment. After most of the guests had already left, Jim decided that it was time for him to go.

“I’m gonna get going,” Jim said as he put his thumb over his shoulder pointing at the door.

“Okay. Let me walk you down.”

When they reached the lobby Jim gave Pam a hug.

“Thanks for inviting me. I had a good time.”

“No, thank you for saving me. I was going to be here alone if you didn’t come.”

“It’s a nice place you have there.”

“It’s not mine anymore. After the internship is up on Sunday, I’m out.”

“Really? Where are going to go?”

“I don’t know yet. I haven’t thought that far ahead.”

“You could always stay at my place.”

“Jim, I don’t know about that. I mean, wouldn’t it be weird? Especially, when you brought a girl back to your place and all…”

“I have another bedroom, Pam. Trust me, I‘m not going to be bringing any girls home with me,” he said with a grin.

“Sure you aren’t.”

“No seriously. You can stay with me until you can find a place. Or, you don’t have to leave at all.”

“Let me see what my options are.”

Jim furrowed his brow and his demeanor suddenly went sour, “What’s the problem?”

“Things have changed between us Jim. It just might be weird.”

“What’s changed Pam?”

“You!”

“What do you mean? I’m the same guy I was back in Scranton.”

“No you’re not... You’re different.”

“How?”

“Everything. The way you dress, the way you act, your life is completely different.”

“And yours isn’t?”

“It is. But, Jim, I loved you for you. Not some guy that’s trying impress me.”

“You think that’s what I’m doing? Trying to impress you?”

“It seems that way.”

“Excuse me for wanting a change in my life. After you left and I experienced some major changes, I decided that I couldn’t sit around and be that Jim anymore. When I saw you, it felt like normal again. That’s the only thing that’s the same about me--my feelings for you.”

Pam didn’t say anything. Here they were, arguing over loving and caring for one another. Pam didn’t know what to say to that. She knew that she didn’t need New York City to change her feelings for Jim but it seemed like New York City had changed him.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
I just have to say thank you for your reviews and ratings. I look forward to seeing what people say and think. I have over 50 comments and am hoping that more show up! Please let me know what you think and if you dont like something, I would like to hear about that too. Also, if you didnt view the pictures from the last chapter, I would! :)

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans