- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Another chapter to the continuing saga! Pam is finally through with her internship. She has to say goodbye to her friends and gets closer to another. Fluff!!!

Andrea came into the room when Pam was packing up the last of her stuff. She pulled the rest out of the closet and into her bag.

“So, where are you going to be staying?”

“I think I’m going to the Hyatt for a few nights.”

“I wish I could stay with you. I have to go back to my old job.”

“I sometimes wish that I’d chosen to do that.”

“What’s the problem?”

“I kind of wanted to stay because of Jim and we had a little disagreement last night.”

“Over what?”

“He offered for me to stay at his place and then I was stupid and told him that he was a different person now and that I wasn’t sure if I wanted to stay there.”

“Ouch. Well, at least you were honest.”

“I know. I just feel bad because he was my best friend and now things are different between us.”

“Don’t worry. I think things will get better. Don’t give up on the poor guy.”

Pam nodded her head and went back to packing her things.

----

Before the apartment was cleared, Ben asked to talk with Pam. She agreed and followed him to the terrace.

“So, I guess I need to tell you now that I am not going to be staying.”

“Why?” Pam asked as her eyes widened.

“I had another job offer that is closer to home. I think it’ll be better.”

“Oh, well, congrats. I’m gonna miss you!”

“I know. I thought hard about staying and it just seemed like I was staying for the wrong reasons. But, I will definitely miss you too.”

They embraced and walked back to the door to the living room. Ben turned and looked Pam in the eyes.

“If Jim and you don’t work out, you can call me anytime.”

“Will do.” Pam said as she smiled and opened the door.

----

The night in the Hyatt was hard for Pam. She couldn’t sleep and couldn’t get comfortable in the bed. She tried to do things that would distract her from her current situation, but nothing worked. She tried rolling over, turning the heat up and down, and her favorite late night snack, chocolate. Finally, she decided to work out her problem with the person that was causing her problem.

“Pam? Are you okay? It’s four in the morning.”

“Yeah, I can’t sleep.”

“And, just where are you sleeping tonight?”

“The Hyatt.”

“Wow. How long will you be staying there?”

“I don’t know. That’s what I want to talk to you about.”

“You can come over now if you want.”

“I can wait until the morning but, I just wanted to say that I was sorry. I know that things have changed and I want to fix them.”

“I’m out of bed and I’m coming over now. Don’t fall asleep on me.”

“Jim, you don’t have to do that….”

“I’m already out the door. What’s your room number?”

“Jim! It can wait.”

“Apparently it can’t since you called me at 4 a.m. What’s the room number?”

“1239.”

“See you soon.”

----

Jim knocked on her door. He didn’t care what time it was and he didn’t care what he looked like at the moment. His hair was in disarray and his eyes still groggy with sleep. He took a cab to get to the hotel where they let him walk right past the security into the elevator.

He knocked again and then he finally heard the clicking of locks and chains. He remembered the last time he had showed up at her door and how she had slammed it in his face. He didn’t want that to happen this time. She opened the door with a piece of chocolate in her hand. She smiled at the look of him.

“Hi,” said Jim as he gave her a smile back.

“I thought I ordered an escort with dark hair and a moustache.”

“He was out with another client.” Jim said as he lifted his eyebrows.

Pam nodded her head for him to enter. He slipped in the door and sat down in the desk chair across the room.

“So, what do we need to discuss?” Jim said as he slapped the arms of the chair.

“I can’t sleep,” Pam said as she avoided the conversation.

“Obviously. I’m wide awake now.”

“Do you want to go do something? We could totally find someplace that sells coffee and sit there.”

“If you want but I must have coffee though.”

“Let me go put some jeans on. If I didn’t people would be giving me money on the streets.”

“You don’t look like a bum, Pam.”

“Not yet. I will if I keep spending my money on the Hyatt.”

 

-----

Jim and Pam walked down the street with their coffee in hand. Jim looked over at Pam as she sipped on her coffee. When she caught him looking at her, she would smile and return back to sipping. This was a game they played with one another.

“So, do you want to walk around NYC all morning or actually do something?”

“I thought I was coming over to help you move your stuff but I guess the plans changed. The things I do for you,” He said as he shook his head.

“I’ve never done this before. You know, staying up all night, getting coffee at 4 a.m., and walking down the street in basically my pajamas.”

“It’s time you started to live!”

“I’m really kind of happy that I’m doing this. It feels….natural.”

“Yeah, it does, doesn’t it?” Jim said as he stopped and sipped on his drink. “Hey, look. The suns coming up.” He pointed over a building and nudged Pam to look up.

“Wow. That’s the first time I've seen the sun rise in NYC.”

“If it wasn’t for the smog and the constant noise, this would’ve been a very beautiful moment,” Jim said.

Pam looked up at Jim who was still looking up at the sky and putting his coffee up to his lips. Pam didn’t care about looking at the sky, all she needed was Jim standing next to her. He found her gazing up at him and he did a double take then froze.

“What?” he said with a grin.

“Oh, nothing.”

“You’re not telling me something.”

“Nothing.,” she said as she started walking again and swinging her free hand. Jim caught up to her pace and laughed at her.

“You’re such a girl Pam.”

“Duh!”

“I cannot believe that you just said duh. Only twelve year old girls say duh.”

“Would you prefer Captain Obvious over duh?”

“Classics are way better than the word ‘duh.’”

“I see.”

 

After a few steps without any conversation Pam had an idea.

“Do you want to go shopping in Chinatown?”

“I’m totally yours for the day. I have nothing to do besides pass out when I get home.”

“Then we are going to Chinatown before we have to put you to bed.”

-----

Pam ran in and out of shops finding necklaces, bumper stickers, shirts, hats, postcards, and even purses. Jim followed her as she made her selections and purchased each one. After filling a few shopping bags that were enough for both of them to carry, they decided to find a place to have breakfast.

As they sat eating eggs and bacon, Jim yawned uncontrollably. Pam giggled at the tired Jim that sat before her. He was doing his best to eat without passing out. He yawned again and it caused a reaction in Pam that made her yawn.

“I think I need some sleep now,” Jim said as he rubbed his eyes.

“Yeah, I do too.”

“Let’s get out of here.”

----

“Well, give me a call when you get up. I can help you move your things into the spare bedroom tonight.” Jim said as he started taking a few steps away from Pam’s hotel.

“You can catch a nap in my room. I can sleep on the couch.”

“No, I don’t want to do that. You need your privacy.”

“Jim, come on. You’re acting foolish. Just come up with me and get a nap.”

Pam pulled on Jim’s arm and led him to the elevator. When they entered the room Jim flopped down on the bed and put his arm over his face. Pam went to the restroom and when she came back, he was already sleeping with his legs hanging off the bed. Pam smiled and went to sit up against the headboard. She turned on the television to watch the news but sleep finally found her.

---

When Jim woke up, he rolled over to see Pam hunched over on her side. He sat up and let out another yawn. The clock read 1:09 p.m.. Jim grabbed the covers and pulled them over Pam. He decided to slip out and call her later to find out when she was going to move in. He was genuinely excited that she was going to be staying at his place. He didn’t care how long she needed to stay and didn’t mind if she never left.

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Rate and Review! I love love love reviews! You guys are so sweet and I love to hear your reactions. More will be on the way...I just need the feedback to keep going! Thanks!


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans