- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I've always wanted to write a Five Things, and here it is.  Enjoy!

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

I.

Right outside the break room door, because that's where all things awkward occur.  She's wiping her eyes with a napkin and he's coming towards her with a look of pure, unhidden concern.  She meets his eyes and just when he's close enough to touch, she walks around him; far enough away to keep him from speaking, close enough her upper arm grazes the static of his (white) shirt.

It clings for a moment before letting go.  He looks at her profile and she can feel his breath right there, right on her face.  So close.

Twenty steps and she's sitting behind her desk, Karen watching Jim return to his desk.

She pretends it never happened.

II.

In the conference room, while Michael goes on about the importance of birth control.  She notices that he can't seem to look at Karen, chooses instead to turn around in his chair and laugh with her.

And with the sun shining between the gaps in the blinds, he looks like that knight in shining armor she's always dreamt of.  And everything glows for a moment.

She sees Karen look between the two of them, then decides to take down notes. 

The sun hides behind a cloud for the rest of the day.

III.

Down in the warehouse, behind the boxes stacked up to the ceiling.  Karen is playing hide and seek, choosing certain times to show up behind them, choosing others to disappear completely.  He's joking about the people they can see in between the cracks of the boxes and, just as Dwight turns to see where their voices are coming from, he ducks his head close to hers to stifle the laughter.

And when he looks up, realizing, breathing (barely) she opens her mouth because maybe this is it.  Then he looks away.

She notices that someone is missing from group when she looks through the gaps again.  Turns around. 

Karen had been there the whole time.

IV.

Standing in the elevator, alone (by some miracle) because Michael asked them to stall Jan for some reason.  He hits all the buttons and lights them up and they have their own candlelit moment, with the ocassional musical ding.  Floor one brings their bodies closer because he stepped forward and so did she, and they look at each other and she almost loses her balance because she can't remember how to stand.

And he reaches out a little, and she finds her hands on his arm when Jan enters, looking tired.  They open their mouths, jumping away and he presses only one button. 

Karen is waiting for them at the entrance to the office and she holds Pam's eyes for longer than Pam wants to, surely the entire moment could play out before them.  When she looks away, Karen hangs on to Jim for dear life.

She's losing her chances.

I.

On the roof, overlooking the parking lot and she's alone.  For some reason, it's bothering her that the sun is setting and it's creating a perfect picture; maybe she just doesn't want to spend this moment alone.

And then the door opens and he's there with his coat and scarf and he has this orange shadow playing across his face from the sun.  The world stirs and he's next to her and they're watching in silence.

From where she's standing, Karen's car is still there but she's nowhere in sight.  And for once she doesn't look away or back down, just gazes at him, lets the wind whip across her face.

By the time the moon comes out, their fingers are intertwined and he's hers.

 



static is the author of 2 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Stolen also liked 624 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans