- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I need fluff.  Oodles of it.  I also think Michael's not nearly ready to stop dispensing advice.  :) 

A thousand thank yous to Morning Angel  who never tells me to beat it despite her crazy schedule.  She still always finds time to help me out and I appreciate it greatly.  To Colette for calling this chapter a "breath of fresh air" and to Moxie - for the life of me I can't remember if I sent you this or Hourglass but either way thanks for being you!!

So come along with me won't you?  To a time where Pam and Jim are together and Michael is....Michael

Enjoy!

PS - I know there are no Medieval Times in NE Pennsylvania.  But c'mon if there were - would Michael not be right on that???  I also know the show starts more like 8 PM but I had to make sure Jim would leave straight from work w/Michael.  Supsend people - suspend. :)   I also have never been there myself - all I know I gleaned from the WWW and some movie I can't remember where Janeane Garofalo played a waitress there.  My apologies to Knaves, Knights, Dames and Damsels everywhere. ;)

 

Jim lives for the weekends, especially now that he shares them with Pam.  Keeping his distance all day has him anxious with anticipation for the moments he has her all to himself.  They've settled into a kind of routine.  Friday nights, they pretty much stay in, order pizza and watch a movie.

Or to be more accurate, pretend to watch a movie.

He sets his cell phone to signal quitting time.   It's almost over, just one half hour until...

"Jimmerino."

Shit.  He looks up and catches Pam's eye.  She ducks her head and chuckles.

"What can I do for you Michael?"

"Funny you should ask.  I do need you to do something for me."  He sits on the edge of Jim's desk and folds his arms across his chest.  "I need you to join Jan and me for dinner tonight."

Pam's eyes lock with his and she shakes her head desperately.

"Oh, you know what?  I'd love to but the thing is I've already got plans."

"Hmph."  Michael shrugs.  "So cancel them."

Desperate, Jim glances over at Pam who is frantically trying to tell him something with her eyes.  He bites his lip and tries again to turn him down.  "They're pretty important plans."

Undeterred, Michael insists.  "This is a pretty important dinner and I hate to pull the "boss" card but I am your superior, your monarch, your sire if you will..."

If I will?  Um, pretty sure I won't.  Jim thinks with a sigh.

"And as such, it is my royal decree that you join me and my mistress as we dine in our castle."

Jim decides to cut to the chase.  "Why is this so important, Michael?"

"I need you to meet with someone very important.  It's potentially a long term client and as my number two, I need you to watch my back."

"Is this client dangerous in any way?"

Confused, Michael replies.  "No.  Why?"

"Because I really think you and Jan should be able to handle it.  Remember when you two closed the Lackawanna County deal?"  And I sorta had a date with Pam...just like tonight?   Jim crosses his fingers under his desk.

"I need you on this ol' buddy, ol' pal. See - this "client" is a woman.  A very attractive, young, vibrant woman..."

Pam's spine stiffens as she overhears every word.

Michael leans forward and lowers his voice.  "And if you won't go for it with P-A-M, I think you might find her to your liking."

Jim can't believe this is even happening.  "Michael...I..."

"We'll leave right after work.  The show starts at 7:00."

"Show?"

"Medieval Times my friend.  Jousting at its finest..."

Oh.  NO.  This can't possibly get worse.

"We'll depart shortly my noble knight..." Michael bellows as he saunters into his office.

"Michael."  Jim shakes his head as he watches him go.  "MICHAEL..."

In seconds, Pam is at his side.  "Jim."  She pleads at him with her eyes.

He gives her an identical look.  "What did you want me to do?"

She can't even believe he needs to ask. "Tell him no."

Exhausted and annoyed, Jim's voice is clipped when he replies.  "Hey.  I could have told him what my plans were for tonight if someone would let me..."

Her face floods with color and anger flashes in her eyes.  "Jim..."

It's not what he had meant to say at all and he can see he's in serious trouble.  "OK - let's not do this right now."

"Yes.  Let's not."  Pam snaps as she walks away.

Jim hangs his head, a beeping sound rousing him from his misery.  It's amazing how quickly things can change.  Instead of being ecstatic, he couldn't be more miserable.

Fantastic.

xoxoxo

Jan stands in the parking lot, pulling her coat tighter around her.  Once again she can't believe she's even here.  She catches sight of him walking towards her and her stomach flutters.

You're here simply because he asked.

Damnit.

She opens her mouth to speak but Michael's lips muffle her voice.  She sighs in spite of herself as she kisses him back. 

"You look beautiful, my lady fair."  He whispers as he pulls away.

"Thank you."  She straightens the lapels of her coat and smoothes her hair. "Hello Jim."  She looks to him then back to Michael again.  "This is a surprise.  I didn't expect to see you."

Jim's expression indicates he didn't expect to be here.

"Didn't I mention this? "  Michael looks at her quizzically.

She blinks at him in disbelief before she responds.  "No. I'm pretty sure you didn't mention Jim was joining us on our date." 

A look of panic washes over Michael's features.  "Jan.  This is not a date it's a business meeting."

"What?"

"There's a special client I want Jim to meet..."

Jim suddenly suspects things are not at all as they seem.  "Michael, is this really a meeting?"

"Yes."  Michael answers as insincerely as humanly possible.

Jan smiles at Jim sympathetically.  "Why don't we go inside and discuss this?"

"Yes.  Let's.  Spectacular idea."  Michael opens the door with a flourish.

Jim hangs his head and despite his better judgement follows them through the door.  As he does, he feels his cell phone buzzing in his coat pocket.

He smiles as he retrieves a text message from Pam.

I'm going to kill Michael.

He begins to reply when suddenly the battery goes dead.  Shit.

Terrific.  Jim moans silently.  This night cannot get worse.

As they stand in the bustling lobby Jim clears his throat to get Michael's attention.  

"Michael.  Seriously.  If this isn't really a client thing I think it's better I just let you and Jan have your evening alone..."

"It is a business thing."  Michael insists. 

Jim shoves his hands in his pockets looks around.  "Where's this important client then?"

"She should be here by now.  I should call and check on her."  He says as he fumbles for his phone.  "Excuse me for a moment."

Jan nudges Jim as she moves to stand beside him.  "Sorry about this..."  She whispers apologetically.

"Nah."  He shrugs.  "It's fine.  I just don't understand..."

She sighs heavily.  "Me neither, but I've had to get used to that a lot lately."

"Yeah."  Jim regards her closely, curiosity overwhelming him.  "Do you mind?  Can I ask exactly how..."

The rest of his question is left unsaid.

Just then the door swings open to reveal a very annoyed looking Pam clutching a manila folder.  She is dressed in sweats and Keds with her hair thrown up in a knot on the top of her head.

Jim thinks he's never seen anything so adorable, even if he's never seen anyone look so incredibly pissed off.

At least it seemed now she wasn't pissed off at him.

"Hey.  What are you doing here?"  Jim asks trying to hold back his smile.

Pam thrusts the folder at him.  "Michael needed this for your meeting."  She takes a deep breath and gives Jan a little nod.  "Hi Jan.  Sorry.  I didn't mean to be so rude.  I'm just..."

Jim resists the urge to try and console her a bit.   He notices a smear of charcoal on her cheek and realizes all at once that Michael must have interrupted her drawing.  No wonder she is pissed.  She has a show in a week and has been working non-stop, every free minute she has.

He couldn't be more proud of her.

Jan holds up a hand to tell Pam her apologies are unnecessary.  "It's OK Pam.  Thanks for coming out here for - whatever reason Michael has to drag you from home on a Friday night..."

"Oh great.  You're here!"  Michael called out.

As she catches sight of him, Pam's eyes are lethal.

Jim decides to step between them before it gets too ugly.  Why he can't actually say but it seems like the right thing to do. 

"Pam brought this file for you Michael." 

"Excellent."  Michael takes the folder and tucks it under his arm.  Disappointment fills his features as he scans Pam head to toe.  "What the heck are you wearing?  I wanted you to look hot.  Even what you wear to work is hotter than...this.  I thought I told you this was an important meeting."

"And I thought I told you it wasn't okay for you to call me at home."

"It's a good thing I'm doing this."  He says with a shake of his head.  "There is no way you will you ever get a date on your own if you don't put any effort in it at all."

Jan realizes all at once what's going on.  "Michael."

"Michael, who I date or don't date is none of your business."  Pam replies bitterly.

"I beg to differ.  I am your boss and as your boss it is my duty to make sure you are happy."

"I was happy at home Michael."  Pam sighs.  She glances over at Jim and as her eyes latch to his he can read her mind.  I'll be happier when we're both there.

He gives her a look that says, "Agreed."

"Well.  Now you can be happy at work and home.  SURPRISE!"  Michael says excitedly.

"Excuse me!?"  Jim gives him a suspicious look.

Michael is positively giddy.  "See here's the thing.  I'm playing Cupid - except - well.  I don't know how to shoot arrows, and I don't wear a diaper. Thank God.  Diapers are gross."  He glances at Jan and swiftly tries to change gears.   "Except for baby diapers.  Because babies need diapers.  Wait.  Was Cupid actually a baby?  That's so weird.  Who'd give a baby arrows? They're dangerous..."

"Michael."  Jan rolls her eyes.  She can't have a discussion about babies now.  Her reputation is already in tatters as it is.  She needs to retain some sort of dignity.  She decides to get back to the topic at hand. "Are you saying you tricked both Jim and Pam into coming here tonight?"

"What?"  Pam gazes at him open-mouthed.

Michael gazes at Jan adoringly.  "What's wrong with that?  I'm happy.  I've found my true love and it's an incredible feeling.  And I just want to spread it all over the place, like..."  He struggles for the words and then a proud smile breaks out over his face.  "...peanut butter.  That's it.  Love is like... peanut butter.  It's sticky and if you are not careful you could find out you're allergic to it and die."

Jim shakes his head.  "What a lovely sentiment Michael."

Jan sighs loudly and tries again.  Though he's endearing, he's infuriating.  "Michael..."

"Jim loves Pam.  He told me.  He also told her."  He points at Pam accusatively.  "Twice."

Pam's eyes are suddenly wide as saucers.  A wave of guilt washes over her.  Things must have been really bad for Jim to confide in Michael...again.

"See?  It's true."  Michael continues.  "I know these things.  I am his compadre.  His confidante..."

Jim is desperate to put an end to this conversation.  "Listen Michael.  You don't have to do this. Really. Pam and I have worked it all out."

Michael dismisses him immediately.  "Obviously not.  You two are still sulking around and I won't have it.  As Regional Manager of Dunder-Mifflin Scranton I hereby decree..."

"OK."  Jan snaps.  "That's enough."  She turns to Michael and grabs him by his shoulders as she levels her gaze.  "Listen to me carefully.  You have no authority over the love lives of your employees.  You can't possibly decree anything."

"Thank God." Pam mutters under her breath. 

Michael concedes reluctantly.  "OK - but I do have authority over the love lives of my friends."

"No."  Jan insists.  "You don't."

He will not be deterred.  "Well I have authority over this evening and I'm saying we're all going in there and learning what it was like for our forefathers..."

"I don't think our country was founded by medieval knights."  Jim comments.  "Actually - I'm sure it wasn't..."

Michael talks right over him.  "We are going inside so that you can see what it's like in the times where things like courtship and...chivalry meant something.  When men were men and women were wenches..."

"If we say we'll go inside will you stop, Michael?"  Jan interrupts.

"YES."  He replies.  "And maybe once you see how true Lords and Ladies behaveth you'll all be singing a different tune."

Jan ushers Michael in the door and pleads at Jim and Pam with her eyes to follow. 

A few months ago if someone told Jan she'd be sitting at a jousting match on a Friday night she'd have said they were incredibly mistaken.  But looking at Michael, seeing how happy simple things like this could make him makes her almost jealous.  There is something to be said for just enjoying yourself, regardless of what anyone else thinks.  The next time someone asks her why she's with Michael, she's sure she'll remember this moment.

Pam turns her face up to Jim's and gives him an apologetic look.  "I'm sorry.  I've been a pain in the ass lately haven't I?   I'm just so annoyed with myself.  How did I not see this coming?" 

Jim chuckles in reply.  "Not so much of a pain.  Don't beat yourself up about it.  He totally got me too.  This just goes to show you Beesly - we're severely off our game."

"Seems like it."  She shakes her head.  "I don't get it though.  Honestly, what is Jan thinking?" 

Jim smiles softly as he links his fingers with hers.  "I don't know.  She calms him down.  It's kinda sweet actually." 

She gives his hand a squeeze and decides it's not so bad after all.  Despite that fact that she is indeed woefully underdressed at least they'll get to spend their Friday together, and she can stop worrying that Michael is trying to fix him up with someone else. 

Maybe this will finally give her the courage to admit to everyone else what she already knows.  That she loves him.  Always has.  That no matter what he does or how he sometimes drives her crazy she always will.

Which - ironically - must be what keeps Jan with Michael.  She thinks with a sigh.  So crazy, but maybe that's what love is. 

Still there's something making her reluctant to take their seats as she sees the servers plunking down little pewter pots filled with soup it dawns on her.  

"Jim.  You know you don't even use forks for this dinner.  I don't think I can stomach watching Michael chomping on half a chicken."

"I'll block your view."  He promises, smiling as he watches her tug the band from her hair, her curls cascading over her shoulders.  He can tell she's feeling self-conscious so he leans close and whispers. "Stop worrying.  You look beautiful."  

He gazes into her eyes as he rubs his thumb gently across the smudge on her cheek.  She blushes and smiles as she takes her seat.

Michael watches out of the corner of his eye, proudly adjusting his cardboard crown.  He slurps his soup loudly and then stands and calls out to Jim.  "Let the games begin!"


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans