- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

When Andy arrived back at Dunder-Mifflin after ten weeks of anger management training, he seemed just the same, if a bit subdued. Of course, his cell phone was now attached to a chain on his belt. It vibrated when it rang.

Seated at Jim’s old desk, facing Dwight, Andy made no secret of his contempt for Jim, which Dwight found oddly endearing. The way Andy now spat out “Tuna” particularly tickled Dwight. This is not to say that Dwight wasn’t suspicious. He’d never trusted Andy, and he didn’t trust him now. However, their mutual dislike of Jim made them uneasy allies in the fight to show Michael how inept Jim was.

Jim was quite happy to be back at his old desk, but more than a little freaked out about being surrounded by Dwight and Andy. Things seemed to be going fine. Andy wore headphones a lot. After about a week, he began singing again—very quietly.

Something about his weird little breathy whispers unnerved Jim. It didn’t sound like his usual chick rock. Occasionally Jim would catch a word or phrase here or there. New world and feeling weak and thank you. Nothing he could google.

Andy also began leaving candy on his desk. At first it was M&Ms, but that stopped when Kevin spent ten minutes standing at his desk and picking out all the green ones. Andy replaced the M&Ms with jellybeans, and offered some to Jim.

He shook his little candy dish invitingly, with a big grin on his face. “Aw, come on, Tuna, I know you like jellybeans.” And then he offered some to Dwight, too.

Dwight shook his head, his eyes never leaving his computer screen. “No,” he demurred in clipped tones. “I don’t accept food from my enemies.”

“We’re not enemies, Dwight,” Andy replied, the picture of wounded innocence.

Dwight looked up from his screen, sneered, and replied, “You got me fired under false pretenses…. I don’t like you.”

Andy rolled his eyes. He didn’t notice how Dwight continued to monitor Andy’s exchange with Jim.

Finally Jim took a jellybean, to be polite, but he didn’t feel right the rest of the day.

One day Jim heard Andy singing a new line. Tasted all right. That seemed a bit more searchable. So Jim typed “tasted all right” and “lyrics” into google.

The screen filled up with links to the same song over and over. The Dixie Chicks? So Andy had gone country.

Jim clicked on a link and started reading the lyrics. He froze when he reached:

And it didn’t take long to decide
That Earl had to die
Good-bye Earl
Those black-eyed peas
They tasted all right to me, Earl
You’re feeling weak
Why don’t you lay down
and sleep, Earl
Ain’t it dark
wrapped up in that tarp, Earl


After Andy left the office that night, Jim used Michael’s keys to open Andy’s desk. He threw away the jellybeans and replaced them from Pam’s stash.

He never ate another jellybean. Just in case.

Chapter End Notes:
lyrics courtesy "Goodbye Earl," The Dixie Chicks, 1999 (because Andy is still stuck in that decade)


bitobsessive is the author of 3 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Jellybeans also liked 33 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans