- Text Size +
Story Notes:
i do not own anything

Scavenger Hunt

 

The day started out like any other typical one.  There was the casual hello from Phyllis and that certain look from Michael that used to creep her out, but now it was just a routine.  Then of course there was the usual grim look of Dwight and Angela smiling slightly.  Everyone was already at work by the time she got in.  Everything was typical except the fact that Jim was gone.  He had apparently called in sick and after his symptoms checked out with Dwight, Michael, and WebMD, he was left alone. 

 

 

She was sitting down and getting situated when she noticed an array of post it notes on her desk.  There were five, all different colors, arranged in a row.  Each one had a singular word on them.  (score?, What, football, is, your)  Slightly confused she looked closer realizing that they seemed to be out of order.  With a quick switch of the order, she read the message: What is your football score?  Now very confused she sat down staring at the words trying to figure out what they meant.   Was this some kind of joke?  Or was it a prank?  Either way she decided to ignore it until later.

 

Later came in the terms of her lunch break when she overheard Oscar and Kevin talking at lunch.

 

.  Yah well I beat you last time 21 to 7  .

.  So!  You cheated   .

 

Pam looked up now intrigued; those two numbers sounded an awful lot like football scores.

 

.  What are you guys talking about?  .

.  Oh we play this stupid game when we get bored, that’s all  .

.  And what, you keep track of who wins?  .

.  Yah every time, we write them all down, it goes back 3 years  .

.  Really, do you think I could see them?  .

.  The scores?  I guess, sure  .

 

So Pam followed Oscar and Kevin to their desks.  Oscar removed the piles of papers off his desk and revealed the highly detailed scoring sheet.  She gave it a look over and saw what she was looking for:  Pam- J6

 

Now beyond curious Pam decided something must be up.  She smiled though knowing exactly where J6 would lead her.

 

She ran back to the break room and found what she wanted right away.  In the second vending machine was a box properly placed of course in J6.  It was 69 cents.  Of course it is, she thought.  She dug out her change and put in exactly 69 cents and pressed enter.  The box dropped with a slight thud.  Pam retrieved the box and went back to her desk.

 

Slowing opening the tiny box she discovered a yogurt lid attached to a string of paper clips.  Now she knew Jim had something to do with this.  He probably just planned for her to have an exciting day in the office.  She sure was having fun.  Looking over the yogurt lid she found writing scribbled on the back of the lid.  Go see the Flunkerton winner by a nose! 

 

 

.  Hey Phyllis  .

.  Hey Pam  .

.  So this is going to sound crazy but I think Jim has designed a scavenger hunt for me and my last clue said to see you, so…  .

.  Yes I have what you are looking for  .

 

Phyllis pulled out a piece of cardstock and handed it to Pam.  Then she quietly went back to work.  Pam looked at the heavy paper and sighed.  It was a wedding invitation, same one that was supposed to be for her and Roy’s wedding.  It kept haunting her.  But instead of having all the wedding details and times on it, it had FILE A COMPLAINT typed across the front.

 

 

There was only one person to whom you file a complaint with and that was Toby.  Pam could remember the day that everyone in the office tried to work out their problems with everyone else.  That didn’t seem to work very well especially when Pam learned about how Jim had complained about her talking about her wedding all the time…

 

.  Hey Toby, I need to file a complaint  .

.  Hi Pam, hope you’re doing ok  .

.  I’m fine, thanks  .

 

They stood in awkward silence for a moment…

 

.  Oh right!  You need to file a complaint, here you go  .

Toby handed her a big present wrapped in red and kept secure with a large gold bow.

.  Thanks Toby  .

.  Good luck on your scavenger hunt!   .

 

Oh man, Jim must be in cohorts with everyone, she smiled and walked away.

 

 

She felt like a kid opening a present and holding her breath for what was inside.  This was probably the end of the scavenger hunt.  She took careful consideration to not rip the paper more than it was necessary and she carefully undid the bow seeing not to wreck it.  She lifted off the lid and inside was…another box.  Oh, he would do that she thought.  So she unwrapped the next box with the utmost care and the next and the next and the next.  This was getting ridiculous she thought seeing that she was buried in wrapping paper and bows.  Finally she got to a small box and opened it.  Inside was a burnt piece of toast and a piece of paper.  Ryan started the fire! 

 

 

Pam opened up the toaster oven preparing herself for what she would find next.  And it turned out to be...a picture of a baby with a kitten.  Oh yuck, this thing was disgusting.  This is a joke she thought.  She looked at the pathetic picture wondering how anyone could like it when it hit her: someone loved these things.

 

.  Hey Angela can I talk to you?  .

.  Pam.  I know what you want  .

.  You do?  .

.  Yes you want your clue, don’t you?  .

.  Yes I do!  .

.  First give me that picture, he said I could have it  .

 

Pam looked at Angela and then handed over the picture…it’s not like she wanted it.

 

.  So my clue?  .

.  Oh, Dwight  .

.  Dwight? But I don’t really feel like talking about Dwight right now Angela, but I guess we could  .

.  No Pam. Go see Dwight  .

.  Oh, okay, thanks Angela  .

.  Bye Pam  .

 

She rolled her eyes and took off for Dwight’s desk fearing what she might have to do.

 

.  Pam, Pam, Pam.  You have come to see me?  .

.  Yes Dwight  .

.  I would like my clue for my scavenger hunt please  .

.  In a little while  .

.  Dwight! It’s almost 5.  I have to go home soon  .

.  Be patient Pam or you are not getting anything  .

.  Fine  .

 

So she sat back down at her desk and started to play solitaire.

 

.  Uh hm, I am ready for you now  .

 

Pam looked up and saw Dwight picking out the jellybeans that were suitable to his liking.

 

.  That is still a communal bowl Dwight  .

.  Whatever, come with me  .

 

She followed him into Michael’s office and left shutting the door behind him.  She was standing across from Michael in his office.  The blinds were shut and the door was closed, the room was very dim.

 

.  Uh, Michael is there a reason why it is so dark in here?  .

.  No, no reason, I’m just in one of those moods today, you know?  .

.  Yah sure, so are you going to give me my clue?  .

.  Huh, what are you talking about?  I’m here to tell you that you need to start answering the phones more efficiently or it’s your job on the chopping block  .

.  What are you talking about?  I always answer the phone and if I’m not around, I write down the message and give it to you later  .

.  No, no good.  You need to man your desk at all times  .

.  What if I need to use the bathroom or how about my lunch break?  .

.  Nope, you can eat at your desk and if you must use the bathroom find someone to take your place for that amount of time  .

.  This is ridiculous!  .

.  Nope…it really isn’t.  I just want the company to run as efficiently as possible Pam, is that too much to ask?  I mean really.  Hey hang on a sec, I need to go grab something.  Stay here and don’t move  .

 

Michael walked out of his office and left Pam sitting in the chair.  She had begun to nod off to sleep in the dim room when she realized this was crazy.  She had been waiting for a good ten minutes.  She leaped up and walked out the door.

 

.  Michael!  I don’t know where you…  .

 

Pam stopped.  She took a breath.  No one was in the office.  It was dim with a single candle burning on her desk.  The glow penetrated the walls and the flame flickered and danced around. 

 

 

.  Hello?  Where is everybody?  This is not funny guys!  .

 

Then she saw him.  He was wearing a sweater and had his hands in his pockets.  His hair was shaggy and tousled. 

 

 

. Hey Pam  .

 

He smiled.

 

.  Hi  .

.  So I hope you enjoyed the scavenger hunt today  .

.  Oh I did.  So I thought you were sick, what are you doing here, what is all this?  .

 

The questions came pouring out at once.

 

.  It doesn’t really matter, I just need to say some things  .

 

She was moving closer to him, he was moving closer to her. 

 

 

The space between them closed, allowing only a few molecules of air to float around.

 

.  Hi  .

 

He said once more just to make it more personal.  And then he did the one thing she wasn’t suspecting.  He was nervous but yet somehow calm at the same time.  Pam on the other hand had forgotten to breathe for the last few seconds and took a gulp.

 

.  Pam, I’m sick of pretending and running around in circles.  I just want you because I love you and I know you’ve turned me down once before but I thought this time would be different, that you would feel the same  .

 

.  I do  .

 

.  Then will you do me a favor?  .

 

He took his hand out of his pocket and produced a tiny black velvet box.  He opened it and a little popping sound erupted into the room.  Inside was one diamond encased in a white gold band.  It was simple but yet the most beautiful thing she had ever seen.  He took her hand and slipped it on her finger.  The ring weighed on her finger and she began to smile. 

 

 

.  Yes  .

 

That was all that was needed.  That one word of acceptance.  He gave her that grin that makes her smile and laugh and feel light hearted.  She closed the gap and kissed him. 

 

 

.  Such a romantic place for a marriage proposal Halpert  .

 

He laughed.

 

.  Hey, see, I tried to make the lighting all romantic and stuff  .

 

.  It’s the candle that smells like cookies!  .

 

.  Yes, yes it is  .

 

They started to share in a laugh when the lights came on…

 

.  YAH!!!!!! PARTY TIME!  .

 

It was Michael…and Dwight and Angela and Phyllis and Ryan and Stanley and Oscar and Kevin and Kelly and Toby and Creed. 

 

 

.  So who wants cake?  Huh, Huh?  I bought ice cream cake because I love it so much!  .

.  Oh Michael, you are ruining a beautiful romantic scene!  I’m like sooooo happy for you Pam!  Ryan that could be us, don’t you think?  .

.  Sure Kelly  .

 

Pam and Jim smiled at each other…loving every moment of the office.
Chapter End Notes:
let me know what you think!


amelie is the author of 7 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Scavenger Hunt also liked 1646 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans