- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The next installment of Pam's art from Business School: The vase of flowers.

He waits until she’s out with her friend Janice to put them on her desk. All morning she had said how she wants Roy to do something for Valentine’s Day, even if it’s something small. And judging by Roy’s track record, he hadn’t really planned anything. So he “went on a sales call” to a flower shop and picked out some nice, pink flowers. Nothing really fancy, but something he knows she’ll like.

When the cashier hands him the card to fill out, he doesn’t try to disguise his handwriting. Its like he almost wants to get caught. He writes something cute that she wants to hear. I love you, Pam. When it comes time to sign his name, he catches himself wanting to sign his own name. The thought of sending her pink flowers on Valentine’s Day, with a card confessing his feelings is just too exciting. Then he remembers that these are supposed to be from her fiancé, Roy.

But he can’t bring himself to sign another man’s name. Especially Roy’s.

Someone like Roy who takes advantage of such an astonishing person like Pam. Someone who doesn’t deserve such a caring, compassionate woman like her.

All Jim cares about is making Pam happy.

She deserves everything.

It didn’t matter that he was helping Roy. That Pam was going to think Roy had done something so sweet for her. His sole motivation was to get one of those breathtaking smiles from Pam.

So he leaves the card blank. Just I love you.

He really hopes she figures out the flowers are from him.

He knows that she won’t. That doesn’t stop him from hoping.

She gets back from lunch to a modest bouquet of flowers on her desk. She assumes they are another gift for Phyllis, but is shocked to see the card says to her. She is washed over with content as she reads each word. She sits down back at her desk, and looks over at Jim, talking with his friend about their poker night. But her glare returns to the card. Roy had actually done something for her. He had gotten flowers sent to her desk, and he had written a cute card that said how much he really did love her.

She realizes that it isn’t Roy’s handwriting.

It’s Jim’s.

He must’ve known Roy wasn’t going to do anything. She wanted something for Valentine’s Day; he just wanted to make her happy. She knows Roy feels this way; it’s just harder to see sometimes.

She smiles over at Jim, and there’s some unspoken bond between them. He knows that she knows the truth, but he doesn’t want to say anything.

But he would love to more than anything.

**********

She has to keep the flowers next to her computer for the rest of the day. She’s been meaning to thank Jim for such a thoughtful gift, but he’s so wrapped up in playing matchmaker for Kelly and Ryan (which reminds her to get all the details from him later), so she just keeps herself busy with online shopping and another Sodoku round. This week she is on fire.

When Roy comes, she yells at him because he didn’t do anything.

It wasn’t the best she’s ever had, either.

She brings the flowers home that Friday, claiming her mom sent them. Roy is too wrapped up in hockey to care. She goes up to the bedroom, and sets them on her nightstand.

They’re too picturesque not to paint.

It takes three minutes to get them just right, but the picture turns out beautifully. All the stems are proportionate; the shades of pink are perfect.

They keep for about four days after that. They start to turn brown and wilt.

She had wanted to press them. (a hobby her mother had passed on to her.)

Roy threw them out.

She kept the card in her wallet, right behind her license.

***

She is buying fabric softener at the grocery store, and realized she didn’t have enough cash. So she goes to write a check. The cashier, a pimply-faced teenager, requires a driver’s license. She pulls it from its place in her wallet, and the card falls to the floor.

She hasn’t thought about it since casino night.

She bends to pick it up, and slowly rises as she envelopes herself in his memory. His laugh, his eyes, his hair, his smile. She remembers how thoughtful he was to get her flowers on Valentine’s Day, even though they were supposed to be from her fiancée.

Her cell phone rings. It’s Roy. Again.

He’s probably calling to tell her how excited he is about her art show, despite knowing nothing about her art.

It’s like he’s trying too hard to be “that guy”.

Pam turns it on silent and finishes her shopping.

When she gets back to her apartment, she pulls out the Valentine’s flowers picture. In keeping with her secrecy theme, the flowers are going to be the main centerpiece.

Because it was, after all, the first time he admitted he loved her.

Chapter End Notes:
Up next: Bowl of Fruit.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans