- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Written as a response to a 5 elements improv!fanfic - written in under 2 hours. Thanks to xoxoxo for the craziest elements that lead to this story!! She has very inspiring things on her desk!

The 5 were: ruby red slippers, minnie mouse ears, a green sharpie marker, a bottle opener, and a coffee table book of Manhattan.

This was my first foray into a something that was not so heavily Jim/Pam. Please let me know if you like it, or if I should stick to what I know! :)

Special shout out to a friend that shall not be mentioned - I stole her wedding idea and gave it to Jan....

I don't own the characters, but I'd love to buy action figures of them! No copywrite intended.


Why did I agree to have all of this?” Jan paused and looked away from the camera, as if she wasn't sure whether she wanted to give an acceptable answer or if she was just going to go with the truth. She sighed, and gave a small smile. “Because Michael wanted it. He wanted it for me. This pregnancy has been really tough - tougher than I ever imagined it would be, to be honest. I've been smoke free for seven months, for a start! And when I - I mean we - when we decided to get married I wanted it simple. I told him just a simple courthouse wedding with only witnesses, and then maybe a quiet supper. I could see the disappointment in his eyes as soon as I said it. So we made a deal that we could have a small wedding, but only if he organized everything. I told him all I was willing to do for it was get a dress and show up. And he agreed. What I didn't expect was for him to remember some of the crazy things we talked about when we were in Jamaica. One of the nights we were drunk we talked about the way we saw ourselves when we were kids, and I told him that I'd always loved Autumn and Halloween, and when I was a teenager I'd decided that if I ever got married, I'd have a Halloween-themed wedding. I even told him all the silly details, like a bonfire and a hayride and making the guests all wear costumes.” She looked down at her dress, then dabbed a tissue at the corner of each eye. “I'm sorry, I never used to cry but these damn hormones... Anyway, I never expected as a teen to end up being a pregnant Bride of Frankenstein, but there are you.” She stopped talking as if she was done, then said quickly. “I know most people are thinking we are only getting married because of the baby, but it's not true. Michael is......well, Michael, and despite his quirks, I don't think I'd want to live in a world without him.” Jan quickly stood up and walked in the direction of the bathroom, a little sob audible as she escaped.


~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%


Pam and Jim arrived at the old homestead barely ten minutes before the ceremony started. Micheal's directions to the wedding were not entirely accurate, and the pair had driven around the farmlands of eastern Pennsylvania for at least thirty minutes longer than they had to. They bounded from Jim's car quickly, Pam holding the gift bag They were quite a sight to see as they were dressed up as Minnie and Mickey Mouse. Pam adjusted her Minnie Mouse ears as they approached the barn door, then let out a little yelp when she looked inside the gift bag.


Jim, we forgot to sign the card!” She held up the blank card and envelope as proof. “Do you have a pen?”


Not on me,” he replied. “Let me check my car.”


There was no pen to be found in the glove box, or on the floor or under the seats. He popped his trunk open and rummaged around before finally returning victorious.

Jim handed her a green Sharpie magic marker.


Sorry, that's all I could find,” he said.


She put the card on the trunk of his car to write it out. “I am not complaining. I should expect this from the man that bought them a coffee table book of Manhattan as a wedding gift.”


What? They both love New York City,” Jim replied. “It's not like they need a toaster.”


I'm teasing you,” she grinned as she handed him the pen to sign the card. He signed then stuck the pen in his pocket as she sealed the card and slipped it in the bag. She then placed her white gloved hand into Jim's equally gloved larger one. They were just about at the barn door when Jim stopped.


What did we forget now?” Pam asked.


Nothing,” he replied. He simply stood there looking at her, her polka dotted dress and matching hair bow, her black tights and yellow shoes, her circles of red rouge on her cheeks. “You know this is going to be the strangest thing we've ever witnessed in the history of time, don't you?”


Pam giggled. “Yes, a wedding full of costumed guests is a bit strange - even for Michael.”


No, I mean the idea that Jan and Michael are getting married. Married! I was overwhelmed when I finally found out Dwight and Angela had been dating! I thought no one could beat that couple for strangeness. Who's going to be next?”


Well, I'm sure to some you and me are the weird couple of the year,” Pam remarked, grinning.


Never,” he said, placing a kiss on her bright lipsticked red lips. “Who could possibly think Mickey and Minnie weren't destined to be together?”


You're insane,” she laughed, leaning into him. “We better go find a seat before the circus starts.”


Jim opened the big white barn door to discover roughly thirty people already there, seated along rows of wooden benches angled at about ninety degrees from each other, the space between them forming one aisle that lead to a large platform that was to serve as the center of all the attention. Nearly all of the office staff were already there, and Jim lead Pam to back bench, seated by behind Stanley, dressed as a judge, and his wife Terri, dressed as a clown.


Jim slipped his arm around Pam's waist as they scanned the crowd. Kevin was dressed as Dracula, and Phyllis and Bob were cutely matching as Red and Green M&Ms. Pam nudged Jim and discretely pointed to the couple sitting in the second row, groom's side. It was Angela, dressed as Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. She had perfectly recreated the look, right down to the blue anklet socks and red ruby slippers. Seated next to her was Dwight, quite at home in the barn dressed as he was as the Scarecrow. He even had straw sticking out of his costume.


Amazing,” Jim whispered in Pam's ear. “They really are suited for each other, aren't they?”


Told you so,” Pam grinned. “There's someone for everybody.”


And today proves it,” he laughed softly.


~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%


Am I nervous about the fact that I'm going to be marrying Jan Levinson in less than fifteen minutes? Absolutely not,” Michael said, wiping a little sweat of his brow. “This Frankenstein costume is just really hot. All this latex around the back of my neck for the bolts and everything.” He smiled. “This was all Jan's idea, you know? She told me that when she was a girl that she thought a Halloween wedding would be great. So when she finally decided to become my bride, I knew what I had to do. It's not as formal as a wedding I might have preferred to have, but it was important to show my wife-to-be that right for the very start I am willing to accommodate her wishes to keep her happy. And trust me, it hasn't been very easy to keep her happy lately, what with her hormones raging and not being comfortable, and her getting so fat.” Michael froze. “I didn't mean fat - can you edit that part out? Because she's not fat, she's just in full bloom because she is carrying my child. Our love child. So there's no way I would consider her fat.”


~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%


When Micheal appeared and stood on the platform with a man they could only assume was the officiant, Pam grabbed Jim's arm. “Oh my God, Jim,” she said slowly. “Michael is dressed as Frankenstein.”


I will bet you twenty dollars that I can guess what Jan will be dressed as.”


I didn't expect they would have costumes on,” Pam replied, seeming a bit dazed by the turn of events.


Michael refuse a chance to dress up?” Jim looked at her askance. “What are you thinking? Besides, this is his statement to their love. He's willing to be a collection of different men to please her.”


Pam pressed her face into his arm to quiet her giggles.


Hey, be careful,” Jim said, “Don't get the rouge into my black jacket. It is rented, you know.”


I know, and I should hope so,” she replied. “I can't imagine you actually owning a big yellow tie, much less bright red pants and mouse ears.”


There was a sound of shushing as organ music started (Pam couldn't tell where that was coming from) and the barn door opened. Jan walked in slowly, accompanied by a man they assumed was her father. He appeared dressed in a tuxedo, so either he was costumed as a butler, or he was registering his boycott of the whole affair.


The ceremony was short, to alleviate Jan's inability to stand for very long. It was none the less serious and sweet, and it was fifteen minutes of Michael's life where he didn't look like he was ready to bust out a 'That's what she said!'. The gentle smile Jan gave Michael as he said his vows spoke volumes of her feelings for him, feelings that really weren't in her nature to talk about openly. Michael's hand shook slightly as he put the ring on her finger, and he wiped away a tear from his face afterwards. Jan said her vows very clearly, with no wavering. When she put the ring on Michael's finger she squeezed his hand before letting it go.


Pam was surprised how moved she was to watch them, and didn't even care that tears were silently running down her cheeks. She tried her best to catch them before they smudged her make-up, and when Jim noticed she was crying he put his arm around her shoulders and quietly kissed her temple.


Are you going to cry when it's our turn to be up there?” he whispered.


She smirked despite her tears. “Depends if you ever ask me.”


He grinned back at her. “Fair enough,” he admitted.


When Jan and Michael were announced husband and wife, Michael kissed Jan, and then to Jan's embarrassment, kissed her well-rounded stomach. The guests laughed and applauded loudly, and Jan couldn't hide her smile, even if she did cast a slightly disapproving look at Michael. They lead the guests through a door behind the platformed area, where the barn had impressively been transformed into a reception area. Michael had hired a DJ, much to Kevin's chagrin. (“We thought we did a pretty good job at Phyllis' wedding. You'd think we'd be a shoo-in for any other office receptions.”)


After dropping off their gift, Pam and Jim were seated at a round table with Dwight and Angela, and Pam enthusiastically complimented them on their costumes. Angela nodded her thanks and said that she has some trepidation about wearing such gaudy shoes to something as sacred as a wedding ceremony, but then she remembered how pregnant Jan was and thought it would be just fine. She added that the shoes were borrowed from a friend at her church, who worked with teens in the local drama club.


Heavens knows I would never spend money on shoes like these - where in the world would I wear them? I had to stuff the toes with tissue, but I think overall the look is authentic,” Angela concluded.


Just then Kelly, dressed as Snow White, approached the table, squealing over Jim and Pam's costumes. “Oh my God, you guys - how cute are you two? I mean Mickey and Minnie Mouse are like the ultimate cute couple, and so are you! Honestly, where did you get them? Ryan here,” she indicated by pulling on his arm so he stepped closer to the table, “he's the one who wanted to go as Snow White and Prince Charming. I found this way cool costume that would have made me Lady Godiva - you know the woman with the wicked long hair that rode around naked? Well I wanted to be that, and make Ryan dress as the horse because, well, we are at a farm, so that seemed appropriate. But Ryan said he wasn't going to dress as a horse and he thought me dressed as a naked lady wasn't really good for a wedding, even if it was a wedding that had everyone dressing up in costumes! I mean, really! Have you ever seen such a wild combination before? Anyway, here we are now.” She sat down next to Jim, as Ryan silently took his place in the seat next to Kelly. As Kelly turned in her seat and started in on talking about Angela and Dwight's costumes, Jim and Pam exchanged looks. Pam put her hand gently on Jim's thigh as she moved closer to him. He covered her hand with his. They smiled as if they both knew it was going to be a long night.


The meal was excellent. Sticking to the autumn theme they served pumpkin soup, roasted corn on the cob and butternut squash. The meat options were barbeque brisket or chicken. Vegetarians were ignored. The open bar meant alcohol was flowing, and their table was not missing out on the bounty. Jim had insisted he'd drive home, so he spent his time bringing glasses of coconut rum and Dr. Pepper to Pam, knowing that a slightly tipsy Beesly was a fun girl indeed.


Dwight also seemed to be imbibing rather freely, and he often was found with a glass in his hand, trying to talk to Michael. Michael was busy making sure Jan was feeling well, and often brushed Dwight away.


Undeterred, Dwight was still determined to express his happiness for the bride and groom. Before the guests were to head outside for hay rides and seats around the huge bonfire, Michael asked the guests to open the bottles of sparkling apple cider that has been provided on each table. They had chosen apple cider instead of champagne so Jan could join in on her own wedding toasts. He explained that the bottle openers were hanging on a ribbon attached to the bottle, and in his excitement Dwight practically hit Angela in the face with the swinging bottle opener. Dwight popped open the sparkling cider, causing it to fizz over and splash both himself and Angela. Undaunted he stood up on his chair.


I need to make a toast to Michael and Jan!” he shouted. “May you always be happy together, and remember to keep the bonfire at least 150 feet from the barn. God Bless You All!”


Later that night, costumes removed and make-up scrubbed off, Jim and Pam snuggled under the covers and tried to decide what they'd remember most from Michael and Jan's wedding. Certainly the theme was unique, and Jan and Michael were lovely and touching in their own way. But the one thing they agreed that no one would forget was Dwight pulling a fire extinguisher out of his car and trying to put out the bonfire because he thought it was too close to the barn.



~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%



Yeah, it's done. Michael and I are married, and I'm exhausted. I should have made it clear to Michael that the wedding plans of a fourteen-year-old girl don't always play out as well as they seem at the time. I hope the cleaners will be able to get out this fire extinguisher foam stuff that someone got on my dress. And I'll be happy not to see Dwight Shrute for quite some time.” She listened to a question from one of the producers. “No, it's still Jan Levinson, at least at work. It's just easier that way.” She paused, and gave a small smile, much like the one she gave Michael during the ceremony. “But don't read anything into that. It's strictly a business decision. Our child will be named Scott, and socially I'm happy to go by that name. Because despite what it sometimes looks like, I do love him.”


 

 

Chapter End Notes:

 

here's the Minnie & Mickey photo I used to reference Pam & Jim's costumes: http://www.brentbutler.com/images/pics/1137639432.jpg


Dwight and Angela's costume inspirations came from here: http://www.greatdreams.com/oz/dorothy_scarecrow.gif



time4moxie is the author of 77 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Autumn Treat also liked 1019 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans