- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I took what lovely work and clues that I was given, and I hope I didn't break or damage it too much....

Enjoy!!

Pam knew this was going to be the longest lunch of her life. Not only was she in a hyper state over the big secret Kelly kept dangling in front of her imagination, but now she was going to have to share the tension with the two people she already spent way too much time thinking about. She continued to take small bites of her sandwich, telling herself that it hadn't tasted like sawdust until she realized she and Kelly were not alone.

When Karen and Jim sat down at their table, Karen was quick to grab the chair next to Pam. A little too quick, Pam thought sourly. Heaven forbid Jim be allowed to sit next to her anymore. But as they all settled in, Pam was grateful that at least she could sit and look at his face, not the back of his neck she usually had to settle for. She might draw his face a million different times when alone at home, but it couldn't beat being able to look at the real thing. He seemed to be in a good mood, and her spirits lifted every time he directed a genuine smile in her direction. More than once their eyes met and his green eyes held her gaze a little longer than strictly needed. She wondered what he was thinking, and what had changed that he was being so warm to her again. Her habit of self-dismal told her he was just being polite because they were out with others. A little voice of hope wondered if it had anything to do with the secret Kelly had promised to tell.

“So Karen,” Kelly said, sipping her diet coke, “I was talking to a friend in marketing on the phone the other day. I had not idea you knew Bernadette!”

Karen looked up from her soup quickly. “Oh, yeah, of course I know Bernadette. We both went to the same college. I haven't seen her in ages - how is she?”

“She's doing really well. She got engaged last summer and she's in the middle of planning a huge wedding that's going to take place Summer 2008.”

“2008?” Jim replied, his eyes searching out Pam's in wonderment. “Who plans a wedding that far ahead?”

“Everyone, Jim,” Kelly replied, rolling her eyes. “These things take time to get right.”

“And everything gets booked up so quickly,” Karen added. “I mean, the best places do.” She reached out and put her hand on his forearm. “Honey, we'd be planning for a 2008 wedding if we got engaged right now, because of where I want the reception.”

Pam thought she was either going to barf her sandwich back up immediately, or lean over and choke the life out of Karen. In the end she just rolled her eyes. She couldn't bear to hear Karen addressing him in that sickeningly sweet voice she sometimes used; nor hear him called “Honey”; nor imagine the two of them engaged. She was completely embarrassed when she looked over at him and saw him staring. She could tell immediately that he'd caught her reaction. What she couldn't tell was if his reaction to it was amusement or enlightenment.

As they all got up to leave, Karen excused herself to go to the restroom. Kelly decided to join her, which left Jim and Pam to walk out of the deli and wait outside on the pavement. They stood their silently, Pam pushing her hands deep into her pockets for warmth. She wished it wasn't so hard to talk to him these days. Lord knows she had plenty to say.

“So you aren't a big fan of taking two years to plan a wedding?” Jim said, surprising her out of her reverie.

She shrugged. “Seems like a lot of time and money wasted on just one day.” She realized that might sound like a slam against Karen. “But I guess if you have the money to spend....”

“It's still a waste of time and money for just one day.” He stepped closer to Pam, looking over her shoulder into the deli window to look for signs of Karen and Kelly. “If I wanted to marry someone I wouldn't be willing to be engaged that long. Too much can happen if you stay engaged for too long.”

“Good to know,” Pam nodded, staring down at her shoes and wondering why he would say such a that to her. If she didn't know better, she would think he was referring to her broken engagement. But that wasn't a subject she thought they were allowed to discuss. Slightly irritated at his tone, Pam said snidely, “Better make sure Karen knows that before she books the hall for Spring of 2009.”

She heard him snort. “That is not something I need to worry about.”

“And why is that?” The question was out of her mouth before she even realized she'd said something. She looked up, a bit embarrassed but too curious to find out the truth. His eyes searched hers again, and he bit his lip as if trying to hold back his reply.

She heard the sound of Kelly's laugh behind her as the deli's doors opened. She turned around to face her returning companions, and as she did Jim bent down, his response a harsh whisper in her ear. “If you don't know, then there's nothing I can tell you.”

He walked over to Karen, car keys in hand. “We'll see you guys back at the office,” he said cheerfully, as they left for his car. Pam could only stare, wondering what in the hell had just happened.

Pam followed Kelly silently back to their car, and got in, her mind playing over and over the little scene outside the deli. Her thoughts were interrupted by Kelly's squeal as she started the car.

“So are you ready for the secret???”

Pam turned toward her. “Yes, please. Take me out of my misery!”

Kelly took a deep breath. “Now I know this is going to sound unbelievable, because I did not believe it myself when I first heard. But I had it confirmed from not one but two people down in corporate. One was Natalie, who is in HR and is NOT supposed to divulge company information to anyone, not even other members of the company, but she and I have been friends since like forever and she just had to tell someone and that someone was me. Well, it was me and two other girlfriends who don't work for Dunder Mifflin but were there when we were out one night drinking watermelon margaritas and were looking out for cute guys. Well, I wasn't because of course I have Ryan, but he didn't come with us and there's no harm in looking, right?”

“Kelly...” Pam was starting to wonder if she'd ever get to the secret.

“I know - I'm just about there. Anyway, Natalie first told me the secret, and then I had it confirmed by Bernadette - that girl I mentioned in the deli that knew Karen back in college. Well, not that Bernadette called her Karen back in college.”

“Please....what is the damn secret?”

“Get ready for this: Karen used to be a guy!!!!!!!!!”



GreenFish is the author of 15 other stories.
sharky is the author of 26 other stories.
sophia_helix is the author of 19 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked The Round Robin also liked 711 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans