- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Just a reminder, Pam comes in and finds Jim getting a water instead of a grape soda and they engage in casual conversation in which Pam kind of asks Jim out and he says he's still getting settled, etc.  Also, this fic has Jim finding out about Dwight and Angela, like my last one.  I don't know why, I just like how that kind of thing helps them break the ice.  I promise not to use it in my next one!

An awkward pause and then she asks, "Maybe tomorrow?" Her tone is anxious, but hopeful.

"Uh... I don't--" He runs a hand through his hair and smiles nervously. "I'd love to, but I don't know if I can really... do that again."

"Do what?" she asks quickly, more seriously.

"Nothing, nothing." He's looking down at his water bottle. He decides to change the subject. "You know when Michael and Dwight went to that convention a while ago?" She nods, a little surprised by the sudden question. He goes on, "I got an extra room key to play a prank on Dwight and uh..." He's trying to keep himself from laughing. "Dwight got a hooker."

Pam's eyes goes wide in shock, and then a realization sets in. "Did you, uh, get a good look at her?" She's fighting back a laugh.

"God, no! I got out of there as soon as I could. Why would you want to know something like that? Wondering Dwight's type?"

"No!" she exclaims, giggling. "But I don't think that was a hooker..."

Now Jim's eyes go wide. "What-- is... does Dwight have a lover?" Such a discovery threatens to change everything. He thinks briefly that he's getting into something he was so determined to stay away from. No more pranks, no more laughing with Pam. But it's just so easy to give in... He suddenly notices Pam's nervous nodding. "Oh my god, do you know who it is? Not someone we know, I hope?"

"Um," she replies, biting her lip.

"Oh my god. Do you realize what this means?" His tone feigns severity.

Pam's smile slowly fades. "I've been keeping this secret for like, a year," she says quickly. "I don't want to expose them or anything."

"It's someone in the office, then? Someone who works here everyday? Do not tell me it's Meredith." He tries to picture the form he glimpsed in Dwight's room. It was someone... petite... blonde... "Oh god, Angela?!"

"Look you cannot bring this up with them, okay?" Jim is still in shock, but grinning as he considers the possibilities with such information. "I'm serious!" she says, trying not to punctuate her statement with a laugh. Jim is tentative, but finally gives in with an overstated sigh. She decides to add, "But I have been missing out on the usual pranking..." Her look is hopeful.

Jim's face turns slightly more severe. "I thought maybe I'd try to move away from that," he says, looking down. "I'm the number 2 in the office now and everything..."

"Oh, yeah," she replies, trying to sound upbeat. "No, I understand." She pauses. "But didn't you say you stole his room key? That wasn't very long ago."

He shrugs. "Yeah it's hard to resist sometimes..."

"God, I know. And I totally suck at pranking without you here."

"Have you tried something?" He's grinning, imagining her trying to pull one off by herself. It's an adorable image that threatens all of his progress.

"Yeah," she replies, her face red. "It didn't really work." Jim's smile begs her to go on. "I tried to hide all his pencils. But he caught me and I actually said 'oh, I didn't know there were yours.'"

"You didn't." He's trying desperately not to laugh in her face.

She nods, giggling now. They both lose it and Jim begins sarcastically insulting her ('Wow Beesly, you really suck without me, don't you?') and it just feels so much like old times. It's beginning to give him a little hope, to be honest, which is the last thing he wanted to encourage.

"Ooh-kay," comes a foreign voice. Michael. "Sorry to interrupt, I--"

Jim quickly tells him he's not interrupting anything, but a few awkward moments later he's out the door again.

Pam looks nervously up at Jim, a hopeful grin on her lips. What the hell, she was the one offering coffee... and maybe... Fuck it. It's worth another chance. "About that coffee..." he says with a smile.


Chapter End Notes:
Reviews are great! I have the next few chapters done (they're short like this one), but your comments might help me rework them and make them a little better... please?

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans