- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This chapter is very short. See more notes at the bottom (after reading, of course).

They're headed in the general direction of the office and Pam is practically in hysterics over a comment Jim has made, and frankly it's making it very difficult to drive. "You better shut up or we're going to crash to our violent deaths and then what?" Jim smiles and then laughs out a 'huh'. "What?" she questions.

"Oh, that just reminded me of a song. Part of a song. It's nothing." He shrugs nervously, hoping this won't lead to further questioning... although maybe secretly hoping it will.

"What song?" she asks. He doesn't respond, adding to her curiosity. "C'mon, tell me or I will crash!"

"If you killed us you'd never find out."

"Not kill, just injure. And then in your pain-induced state I'd force it out of you." Too cruel, she thinks. She'd never really be able to do something like that.

"Well I wouldn't want that, Beesly. But I don't think you're that mean anyway."

"I'm not, but will you please just tell me? I am practically dying of curiosity."

"Okay, well I don't want any dying," he says warmly. "Fine. It's sounds like kind of creepy and I don't mean it literally," he explains slightly nervously. "But I was thinking of the song There Is A Light That Never Goes Out." He flinches, wondering if she knows it. Her flustered expression tells him she does.

"The I-haven't-got-a-home part or the It-would-be-heavenly-to-die-in-a-car-crash-with-you part?" she asks timidly.

"I don't really think the first one's relevant," he manages to remark, trying to keep things lighthearted. "I didn't peg you for a Smiths fan, Beesly."

"Oh, I only got into them recently..." Her voice is trembling, trying to remain calm. Her knuckles are white as she grips the steering wheel and sees the Dunder-Mifflin parking lot in the distance. "You want to just come over to my place?" she asks without thinking and immediately regrets it. "Sorry, I mean..."

"Yeah," he interrupts, finally looking at her.

She smiles earnestly and murmurs, "Okay."

They're silent for the rest of the drive.


 

 

Chapter End Notes:

I never plan things out before I write them and here I had them talking about crashing and was reminded of the song, so that drove Jim to mention it, and it led to my naming all of the chapters (and the title) after Smiths lyrics. You'd be surprised how frequently Morrissey's tongue-in-cheek laments relate to our favorite lovelorn duo! I'm thinking of doing Squeeze next ;)

Things pick up in the next chapter, which is a little longer. I'll have that tomorrow morning, I think.  As always, I love a review!


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans