- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Knock, knock, knock… He knew that Jim was home – his car was in the driveway. He turned as the door opened.

“Hey man.”

“Hey Ryan, what’s up?”

“What took you so long? I’ve been banging for like five minutes!”

Jim looked over his shoulder. “Oh, well, you see I was… and I couldn’t hear and…”

Ryan held his hands up. “Whatever. Look, get changed.”

Jim leaned against the door jam. “Why?”

Ryan sighed, hanging his head. “Kelly and her friend just showed up at my apartment this afternoon and now, I suddenly find myself on a double date expect that Kelly’s friend doesn’t actually have a date.”

“Just learn how to tell the girl no, Ryan.”

“And as soon as I can get a word in edgewise, I will, but for now, will you just get dressed and come with me.”

Jim looked over his shoulder. “Man, I would love to, but I can’t.”

“Jim, I’m begging. My treat – all the free beer you want if you just come play buffer for me.”

“Normally, man, you know I would never leave you hanging, but I’m… see, I’m right in the middle of ‘Angels and Demons’ and it’s just getting good, so…”

Ryan narrowed his eyes at Jim. “Wait. Are you blowing me off in my hour of need so that you can read a book? Do I understand this correctly?”

“Well, you just… and I…” Ryan looked closer at Jim. “Dude, is your shirt on inside out?”

Jim looked down at himself. “What are you talking about? This is how all the kids are wearing shirts these days. Get with the program!”

Ryan leaned in and sniffed. “Why do you smell like strawberry lotion?”

Jim’s eyes got wide. “Oh… ummm… it’s supposed to be good for you and I’ve got such sensitive skin anyway, so…”

“Man, are you feeling alright?” Ryan stared at Jim like he had lost his mind.

Jim shook his head quickly. “No, I’ve been… kind of out of it all day, so…”

Ryan’s shoulders slumped. “Fine, but you totally owe me, man.”

“Yeah, alright, well, have a good time. See you Monday.” Jim slammed the door and ran back up the stairs, ripping his shirt off. He turned the corner and saw her, lying in bed, laughing at him.

“Books and sensitive skin… that’s the best you could come up with!” she said, giggling.

“Shut it, Beesly. I was thinking on my feet.” He said, jumping back into bed.

“Well, you’re going to have to learn to lie much better than that if…” her words were cut off as he planted his lips back on hers.

The End


agd300 is the author of 15 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Thinking on My Feet also liked 1886 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans