- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This is my attempt at an idea by Muggins to use acutal quotes from episodes to create a new story.  All, and I mean all quotes/dialoge come from "The Secret," and "Conflict Resolution."  By the way, the episodes were chosen at random.  Thanks to Muggins for a truly unique challenge. 

Takes place after Casino Night.  However, I don't believe there are spoilers.  I'm not sure where Karen is in this story, she could be gone, or maybe she never existed.  You decide.

Disclaimer:   I do not own anything related to "The Office," at all.  No copyright infringement is intended.

“And I haven't told anyone, and...what the hell?!”  He finally looks up at her.  Her mouth is squeezed tight, withholding laughter, her eyes bright and dancing.  This was already embarrassing enough.  He and Pam had been talking about childhood mishaps, and she had shared a particularly embarrassing situation, so he decided to make her feel better by sharing this more recent “doozey.”

 

Pam talking head:

“Jim and I are great friends. We hang out a ton.”  She rolls her eyes upward. “Mostly at work. But the fact that he told me his secret and no one else, says everything about our friendship. And it is why I intend on keeping that secret,” a smile breaks across her face, “for as long as I possibly can.”

 

Five minutes later:

Jim’s head perks up at something Pam says while on the phone behind him.

He slowly pushes his chair out, stands up and walks over to reception.  He leans forward, purses his lips and squints at her.

 

“Pam.”

 

“I'm on the phone,” she sings. She doesn’t make eye contact, but he can see the joy in her eyes.

 

“That thing you just said. . .”

 

This time she puts her hand over the receiver and whispers firmly at him.

 

“Just forget it.” And back to listening to the caller.

He will not forget.  He leans closer.

 

“That is unacceptable.”  She responds by turning her eyes up at him.

 

“I agree. It's unacceptable.” A giggle pours out.

She finishes her call and hangs up with a contented look on her face.

She looks up innocently.

 

“Hey.” Like she’s just noticing him. 

 

“What did you guys talk about," he asks as if he doesn't know.

 

“Just, you know, politics. Literature.” She spins a half-turn and bounds out of her chair and around the desk.  He follows, enjoying the play despite the fact that her mom is now the second person to know his secret.  He catches up with her and passes, heading for the kitchen.

 

“Oh, man, you are so busted.”

 

“I don't know what you mean.”

 

“You're the only one I trust," he implores hoping to sound hurt as he pushes through the door.

 

“It was like, three years ago. It's totally not a big deal.” 

 

“Well, that's not gonna fly here because in this office it is till death do us part.”  Yes, he said it and this stops her just as the kitchen door swings closed after her.  He turns and finds that he is standing very close. Towering. She grabs onto the counter.  She keeps her eyes focused on his.

 

“That might make things kind of awkward,” she whispers.  His look changes then.  It’s the one that makes her feel like his eyes are cutting into her.  Exposing the truth, freeing the nonsense.  It’s doing that now.  But it’s Jim that snaps out of the trance first.

 

“I have a lot of work to do.”  And he starts to walk past her.  Again.  It’s just too familiar, and she decides.  Just then.  So she grabs his arm.

 

“Just, hold on, please.”  It occurs to her now that even though they were close friends, best friends even, she’s not accustomed to touching him.  She was always afraid of giving something away.  But she’s holding onto him now, and she can feel the warmth.  The length of him is equal with the length of her and she knows they are aligned perfectly. Finally.  He knows what this is about and turns his head towards her slightly. He feels his heart reminisce, to that night.

 

“I-I can't do that," he says softly.

 

“You can't do that, huh?”  A breathy chuckle.  Yes, familiar.

 

“Can we go?” 

 

“No, this is important.”  A glance around brings back her shyness and she stretches up to him using her grip, and whispers.   Despite his initial resistance, he listens because he can’t not.  He takes it all in, in silence.  She drops down again and waits, still holding.

He looks down to the top of her head. 

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Sure,” she says firmly.  Then, “Okay?”

 

They are still at work, he reminds himself, and there is a difference between what he wants to do next, and what he does next. 

 

“I haven't decided yet. Let's get to work.” All matter of fact.  She looks up, surprised but his smirk and his eyes and his real answer pierces her, so she gently lets go of his arm, and informs him confidently.

 

“I want an answer by tomorrow.”  He considers this request and starts back out of the kitchen and she follows.  He turns, walking backwards.

 

“Okay- ooh, actually, tomorrow's not good. How about later in the week?”  He glances at her, challenging her.

 

“Fine,”  she agrees.

 

“Good. Okay," he says while she settles into her chair.  He grabs a jelly bean and starts back to his desk.

 

“You gotta be kidding,” she calls, wanting to finish this now.  He nods.

 

“I am.”  There’s that look again. He leans on his forearms, “Okay...we can do this.”

 

“Okay, good.” The dancing eyes are back now.

 

Double talking head:

Pam advises: “Keeping a secret can only lead to trouble.”  She looks to Jim for confirmation.

 

Jim nodding spiritedly:  “So it turned out fine in the end.”



Teresa is the author of 0 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans