- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I was driving through a paper mill town.  It smelled like death and so, a Creed chapter was born.  The next chapter will be the conclusion.

Creed climbed into the front seat of his beat-up early 1980’s model van. It used to be white but was now a dingy beige color with mismatched doors. He looked over at the blonde corporate lady, chain-smoking in front of Dunder-Mufflin. She took a deep breath and glanced up at the sky, a small smile on her face. Oh man, she was pretty when she smiled.

He wondered if he could bum a cigarette from her, but he couldn’t. One of his ex-wives forced him quit years ago. Laverne? Lucille? He couldn’t remember which one it was. They were sisters though - he definitely remembered that.

The corporate lady had come by today to lecture the branch about something. He couldn’t remember. When she opened her mouth, he only heard the voice of Charlie Brown’s school teacher, which also sounded a lot like Laverne or Lucille. He closed his eyes and was asleep before she finished her second sentence.

After three tries, the van cranked up and Creed pulled out of the lot. He liked to eat his lunch at the park a few blocks away from the office. That way, he didn’t have to hear the Indian girl chattering on and on and on about her boyfriend.

He pulled his thermos out of a grocery store bag. Today was leftover pea soup from the shelter. He smiled. There was nothing better than cold pea soup. He also pulled out his big scores of the day - a bag of chips and a candy bar which had gotten stuck in the vending machine. Couldn’t let perfectly good, already paid for food go to waste.

Creed looked up and saw a couple eating at the picnic table in front him. It was that cute receptionist and the young salesman with the hair. He couldn’t remember their names and didn’t really care. They sat on each side of the picnic table, chatting and joking.

Man, that receptionist was cute. She reminded Creed of his first wife, Kim Lee, whom he had met during one of his journeys through Cambodia. She was so sweet and shy. He was pretty sure they had a kid together. A boy, maybe? He wondered how he could make a move on the receptionist. Maybe he should leave a vinyl copy of “Midnight Confessions” on her desk with a note. Did anyone listen to vinyl anymore? He wasn’t sure.

The receptionist threw a balled plastic sandwich bag at the young salesman. He pulled a mock angry face as she kicked off her shoes and ran away. The young salesman was tall and his long legs quickly caught up with the cute receptionist. He playfully grabbed her around waist and kissed the back of her neck. She giggled and wrestled herself out of his embrace. He ran away from her, running slowly so she could catch up. She tripped him and he took her in his arms as they tumbled to the ground. As he rolled her over on the grass, the young salesman began kissing the cute receptionist.

Hmm, guess she’s taken. Oh well.

Creed closed his eyes and when he woke up forty-five minutes later, he had forgotten all about the cute receptionist and the young salesman with the hair.

----------

Creed walked back into the office fifteen minutes late. As he passed by the reception desk, he heard Dwayne talking to the young salesman. Creed would never forget Dwayne’s name. The young salesman had paid him five dollars to call him that - easiest five dollars he ever made. Well, if you excluded the plasma he gave on a regular basis.

“Jim, you are so unprofessional!” Dwayne exclaimed.

The young salesman looked up slowly. “What did I do now, Dwight?”

“You don’t dress properly for this job. Look at your shirt, there’s grass stains on it.”

The young salesman looked down at shirt and blushed. He smiled slightly and picked up his phone. “Well, do you have any excuses for your attire?”

The young salesman glanced briefly at the cute receptionist, whose face matched his in amused embarrassment. “Nope.”

Creed was almost to his desk when he heard the corporate lady’s voice. “Michael, thank you for meeting with me today. Yes, it was a successful meeting.” Then she lowered her voice, “No, I will not have dinner with you tonight. Goodbye, Michael.”

Creed reached into his suitcase and pulled out something. He walked swiftly out of the office. The corporate lady had stopped by the large potted plant to look through her purse.

“Excuse me?” Creed said politely. “You dropped this.”

“What?” The corporate lady looked at him and then at the vinyl album in her hands.

Creed winked at her. “Yeah, that’s me.” He smacked his lips and walked back into the office.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans