- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Angela.

As hard as she tries to avoid it, Angela gets bored. The gray monotony of day to day life is occasionally too much to bear. However, there are bright spots, some days. If she is able to talk to Dwight, if Oscar doesn’t speak, if Kelly is sick or Ryan inexplicably missing. These are the things that make it bearable.

Also, the Pam Pong. She has yet to give this up, though don’t think she hasn’t noticed the subtle changes, the shifts that have caused the game to be put on hiatus. The stalled love between the Sales Rep and the Receptionist, both people whom she must admit she’s not very fond of, makes for a very entertaining day at the office. Again, she must constantly stress to herself how much she doesn’t like her accessories, her ball and paddle. She doesn’t much enjoy the company of Pam, who is honestly a shameless flirt, and possibly an adulterer, and let’s face it, something of a heart breaker. But she dislikes Karen on principle: doesn’t like her newness, her flawless skin, or her shiny hair. Mostly Angela doesn’t like how she’s ruined Pam Pong.

Of course Angela doesn’t like Jim at all. Wouldn’t go so far as to say hate unless she’s totally alone. She hates the way he’s so loud, how he’s always remaining the ‘good guy’ even while mercilessly torturing Dwight.

Also, Angela is keenly aware that the only two people in the office who refuse to admit that Jim and Pam are in love are Jim and Pam. Even Karen seems to have taken the hint. She thinks they’re pretty dumb, allowing it to get this far, but she might as well have a little fun with their misery.

So she’s invented a new game, called Blush Ball. This game is pretty simple, but only if you know what to look for, and she’s had years of practice. It’s only easy if you’re aware that on the day that Jim is forced to state a preference for hair color, blonde is a pretty easy guarantee of some tension, of someone’s body betraying them and allowing a rosy flush to spread upwards from their neck.

It gets even easier when you realize that you don’t necessarily have to be in the kitchen to hear the conversations that take place there. And any talk of ‘last night’ or ‘karen’ or ‘weddings’ that you might overhear is enough to score some points.

This game has an offshoot, a red-headed step-child, called Roy Rage, which gets its own separate Post-It Note Tally Sheet. These rules are also simple: any time Roy’s name or presence cause someone’s fists to clench, or makes someone’s eyes shut for a moment too long, points are added.

Angela gets bored, but the lost loves and the new loves of Dunder-Mifflin’s most obviously doomed are enough to keep her occupied for at least another day.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans