- Text Size +

The awkwardness in the room is palpable. And Kelly knows words like ‘palpable’, just so you know. She might sound stupid or whatever but she went to college and she knows things. And she knows a thing or two about star-crossed love. So she hasn’t given up trying to help them, because they’re a little bit like Brad and Angelina, except Karen’s more like Angelina because she’s dark, so Pam is definitely Jen.

Which is totally perfect, because Jen and Pam both totally sit at their desks all day pining over Brad and waiting for him to realize his mistake. Though hopefully Jim doesn’t start adopting Korean babies with Karen or the whole thing will go completely to hell.

“So Pam, I think I found someone else for you to go out with,” Kelly sing songs, always within earshot of Jim. Pam blushes, of course, and covers her mouth.

“Oh Kelly, I don’t know… It hasn’t been very long since Roy and I…” Kelly studiously ignores Angela as her head pops up from behind the partition.

“Oh whatever, getting back with Roy was like a rebound from that whole Ka-Missing your wedding thing.” She recovers very quickly.

Pam pauses and looks at her skeptically “But I was marrying Roy.”

“Exactly! So ok, this guy’s totally hot, and you’re gonna love him, but you have to wear something sexy or he won’t be into it, he’s like that.”

“I don’t know, Kelly.” Pam is such a baby sometimes. Kelly sighs and rolls her eyes.

“Ok Pam, but you won’t be pretty forever.”

She tries to enlist Ryan but he’s no help at all.

“No Kelly, mind your own business.”

“But they’re so perfect for each other!” She gushes “Think about if Jim had never helped us get together.”

“I think about that all the time.” Kelly ignores the jab, but keeps it in mind because she’s always wanted to try holding out on him, just to see if he misses it at all.

“God Ryan, I don’t know why you hate love so much.” And she walks away, ignoring his grumbling response.

It’s not like she wants a miracle. She doesn’t expect them to get married or profess their undying love, all she wants is a cloaked acknowledgement. A blush from Pam, or that thing Jim does where his face falls. Nothing major, just hope.

So she keeps trying, day after day.

“Wow Pam, you look really sexy in that blouse.” Or “Hey Pam, I think Darryl has a crush on you!”

And it works, most of the time. Jim will clench his teeth usually, but the Darryl comment got him moving, got him to almost almost storm out of the kitchen.

It’s not like Kelly likes drama, she’s just trying to help.



ihaveboneitis is the author of 4 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked From Way Up Here also liked 1265 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans