- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I don’t own the Office. I do now however, that it is 1 day, 23 hours, 5 minutes until the new episode. Yes, I am that pathetic!

I have always connected the most with Angela. So, I decided to explore that. And then this happened.

Thanks to Michelle for the quick beta.

            Angela had studied for days on end. She was determined to ace the test. It was the only thing she knew.

            Angela had long since realized that life wasn’t as easy for her as others. Some people just seemed to have that confidence needed, the support needed. She wasn’t as lucky. Nothing she did was good enough. Even when she excelled, it was nothing to her parents. Angela thinks they must have been proud at some point, maybe the first time she brought home a perfect paper – they must have right? All parents want their children to succeed.

            Angela walked into class, ignoring the chatter about her. She wasn’t able to relate to the other students; she gave up on trying. It made it worse when she tried to join into the conversation casually – they usually gave her odd looks, and laughed when she turned her back. She pulled out her flashcards and did last minute studying.

            When she handed in the test, Angela knew that she had aced it. There wasn’t a doubt in her mind. She knew everything there was to know about math, and the constant studying for the past week had made it second nature. She sat quietly at her desk, reading, while the rest of the students finished their test.

            The next day, the teacher handed back the test. “Well, it turns out only a few people studied for this test. It isn’t hard material – just ask Angela. You can all understand exponents if you just try.”

            Angela cringed when her name was mentioned. She knew for the rest of the day she would be hit, bumped into, and have pranks played on her. She was almost certain no one even knew her name, she was just called ‘Teacher’s Pet.’ Every year it was the same thing, after the first test, when it was announced she ruined the curve, she would be tortured the day after the test.

            Angela rode the bus home in silence. She sat alone on the seat, all the other seats suddenly being saved for friends who never showed.  She didn’t even blink when food was thrown at her. When the bus stopped at her house, she stood up quietly and brushed the crumbs off her skirt.

            “Mom? Um, I got an A on my math test yesterday.” Angela couldn’t help but hope this time, maybe the reaction would be different.

            “What? Oh, sure. But you know, you aren’t ever going to use that crap anyways. It’s just a waste of time. Why don’t you just go do the dishes?”

            Angela quietly left the room, and went upstairs to he bedroom. She dug a box from under her bed, and took the key from around her neck. Sighing, she carefully placed the test in the box. Maybe someday, someone would appreciate her enough to congratulate her on her grades.

            “ANGELA! DISHES!” her mother screamed from downstairs.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans