- Text Size +

            Angela had spent all night getting ready. She was going on a date with Tim, the captain of the football team. She couldn’t believe it when he had asked her out.

            “Um, so, Angela? You know, you’re really smart and everything. And that’s cool. I was, um, like, wondering if you wanted to go see Big tonight? I mean, I think Tom Hanks is just cool. So ya interested?”

            Right after school, she had gone to the convenience store a block from her house. Her mother forbid any daughter of hers to use make-up, but Angela decided to take the chance and buy some in hopes that she could sneak out of the house before her mother saw.

            Tim was supposed to pick her up at seven. By 6:30, Angela was staring out her window, waiting to see headlights pull into her driveway. By 7:01, she had convinced herself he wasn’t coming. Angela was pacing around her room in disgust (at him? at herself?) when he honked the horn from the driveway.

            She ran out the house, yelling to her mom that she would be back by midnight. When she climbed into the car, she felt a weight lifted from her shoulders, she was finally popular. She was going to the movies with Tim.

            That relief was short lived. They weren’t going to the movies; they drove right past the theater. Tim didn’t even speak the whole ride, never explaining where they were going instead.

            They soon pulled up to the park. Angela was terrified to get out of the car, she didn’t know what was happening, but she knew it wasn’t good. Tim dragged her out of the car, and shoved her on the grass. She felt his hands go up her skirt, and remembers nothing else.

            What seemed like hours later, her face dirty and streaked with tears, Tim shoved her back in the car and drove her home. Angela ran into the house, and took a hot shower, trying to wash the night off of her.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans