- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Fun fact:  The title quote is from X Files episode 1x14:  Lazarus.   All subsequent chapters will have titles that are XF quotes.  
At 6:27, Dwight crept up the stairs in total silence.   Although he had not been asked to do so, he had changed clothes and was wearing his black Arashi from Karate class.   He kept it in the trunk of the Trans Am.  You really could never be too prepared.  

At 6:29, Angela followed.   She had covered her platinum hair with a sensible scarf.   Her oversized sunglasses made it difficult to navigate in the dim light, but she felt anonymity was important.  For safety's sake, if all this nonsense proved real, and to save face if it proved to be the likely hoax.  Dwight was such a noble man, suited for another time and place, where bravery and a quest for adventure was treasured and rewarded.   But, seriously.   It was 2007 in Scranton, Pennsylvania.   And, under those conditions, he really needed a sensible woman to keep him grounded in reality.

They sat silently in the Conference Room, their fingers lightly touching as their arms rested on adjacent armrests.  Dwight proudly glanced sideways at Angela, who was still wearing her scarf and sunglasses despite the fact that they had turned on none of the Conference Room lights. 

"We were chosen, Monkey.   Our competence and suitability is readily apparent to those who know about these things."

"We'll see."  Angela answered without turning to face him.  "I'm not sure if I approve of all this anonymous letter nonsense.   It isn't proper, Dwight."

Just then the lights came on at full brightness.  Dwight was overcome with a stinging pain in his eyes and a burgeoning pride in Angela, who had apparently thought of this contingency and prepared accordingly with her sensible eyewear.

"Hello."   Two people had entered the room, but in the brightness, Dwight couldn't see their faces. 

"You are on the film crew."  Angela's voice was guarded and suspicious.  "What is this about?   Why are you here?   Is this a trick?"

As Dwight's eyes grew accustomed to the light, he saw that their companions were the two new members of the documentary film crew.  The tall one.  The little female.   They rarely spoke to anyone, let alone each other.  However, sharp observational skills and personal experience gave him a certainty that there was more to tell about their relationship. 

"Thank you for coming, " the small redheaded woman spoke first.   "I understand that this may seem strange."   The two men shook their heads dismissively, but Angela met her eyes with a grateful smile.

"We are formerly agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation."  The man was speaking now.   "We have experienced things beyond the normal.  Beyond rational human understanding.   There are also people who wish to kill us.  We are currently known as Frank Muller and Deanna Sullivan.   These are not our real names."

"Go on."  Dwight licked his lips and slid to the edge of his chair. 

"You are aware, Mr. Schrute, that there are people and phenomena which defy conventional explanation?" 

"Or," Deanna Sullivan interrupted "which could be explained through scientific method if truthful information were actually available."

"Or," added Angela, "which we are not supposed to understand or explain because we are supposed to be strong in our faith."

Dwight stared directly into Frank Muller's eyes.  "There is so much that THEY don't want us to know."   Muller smiled.

"Exactly."   He said.  "A few weeks ago, we received some information that led us to believe that one of your coworkers is not who you have been led to believe."

"Bernard."  Dwight whispered the name venomously.

"Andy?" the woman's left eyebrow arched dramatically.  "No.   He's exactly what you think he is."

"Contemptible?" asked Angela.

"Well....let's just say that he really is that big of an idiot."   Angela gave a satisfied nod.   She liked this woman.  Her petite frame was appropriately ladylike, and yet she appeared strong enough to keep her man in check during his more ridiculous moments.  Admirable traits.

"Please watch this footage carefully.   Pay close attention to our subject.  You will note a strange change in personality that we cannot readily explain.   We fear.....well.   First, watch the footage and see for yourselves." 

Muller walked over to the television and inserted a DVD into the player.   The screen crackled to life and soon Dwight and Angela were shocked as it filled with the face of one of their coworkers.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans