- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
AN.. not mine.

By the time Clarence left Jim was already 20 minutes late for work. He rushed to get everything together for work so that he could get into his car and forget everything that did or did not just happen. He refused to believe anything Clarence had to say (or not say) because he beat it into his mind that Clarence is not real. Nothing is wrong with Pam. You were just hallucinating the crazy man.

“I told you, Jim I am not crazy…” Clarence appeared in Jim’s passenger seat.

 

The voice startled Jim. “Why won’t you just leave me alone?!”

 

“Wow, that extra pay from your promotion really came in handy. Look how spacious this is compared to that junky old Corolla. But to tell you the truth, I liked that better; this is like you are trying to prove something Jim.”

 

Jim didn’t want to hear it, “Do you realize that showing up in a moving vehicle unannounced isn’t a very good idea?” Jim knew he was sounding crazy, “You could have killed me.”

 

“Relax Jim. I’m your guardian angel, I can’t kill you, and I keep you from dieing. You should be thanking me for being here.”

 

“What do you want from me?”

 

“I don’t want much; I am just here to help you out.”

 

“I don’t need any help, thank you.”

 

“Jim, I know you. I’ve seen you grow into a fine young gentleman, and I don’t want you to get hurt. Some things need mended and I need to fix them.”

 

That’s not creepy “But why now?”

 

“Because if I don’t help you out, you’ll lose your heart forever. There’s not much I can tell you now, but overtime, you’ll see what I mean.”

 

Jim pulled into the parking lot. “OK, crazy man who is just a figment of my imagination, I’m at work now. So I have to go.”

 

“Can I at least try and get you to believe me.”

 

This has got to be good. “How is that even possible?” he said reaching to open his car door.

 

Clarence looked up to the sky, “How should we do it? I don’t want it to be… oh really? I think that will get his attention. Thanks, Big Guy, I mean God,” he looked back at Jim. “How about this, at 10:09 Pam will get up from reception, walk into the break room, buy some sour cream and onion chips, however instead of getting just one, the machine gives her two.”

 

“And that is supposed to be enough for me to believe you?”

 

“Yes, because she gives you the second bag.”

 

“Why would she do that? I haven’t spoken with Pam in a few weeks.”

 

“I have connections. If that happens, you must believe me. How else would I know?”

 

“Can I please just go to work?” It wasn’t really a question because at that moment Jim got up to go inside the building.

 

“Be my guest…”

 

All morning long Jim searched wikipedia for different mental cases to see which suited him best. No sane grown man believes in guardian angels. He was too busy too notice the time when he felt a light tap on his shoulder. Before looking up, he glanced at the time: 10:10. There’s no way…

“Jim, do you want these chips? I put in a dollar and got two. I know you like them; well I knew you liked them…” Pam looked timid; like she was afraid Jim was going to yell at her.

 

But he was looking at her in awe. Oh, God, I’m a grown man that believes in guardian angels. “Oh yea, of course. I can’t remember the last time I had sour cream and onion. Thanks, Pam.”

 

A smile crossed her face, “You’re welcome, Jim.” He couldn’t tell, but it looked as if she almost skipped back to her desk.

 

As soon as Jim saw that Pam was seated, he got up and ran to the bathroom. After making sure no one was there, he called out, “OK, Clarence, I believe you now! Happy?” I’m talking to a wall.

“No you’re not Jim. I’m right here. And yes, I am happy. I knew you’d come around.”

Chapter End Notes:
Next chapt may be up tonight! Keep on RR&R, it serves as writting fuel.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans