- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for all the kind reviews. Keep them coming!

The camera zooms in on Dwight painting a poster that says : “England and USA together again!” Keith is watching Dwight paint.

“Word of warning” Keith begins chewing on a candy bar. “Don’t breathe in the paint fumes because it could effect your virility.” Dwight stops painting and turns and scowls at Keith.

 

Gareth is in one of the hotel’s conference rooms setting up chairs. Jim and Tim walk in. “You know Jim, I’ve heard a lot about the street performers here in New York.”

“Really, Tim? Like what?”

“Well, I’ve heard they’re connected with a secret branch of your government”

Jim stops, with a dead-pan expression on his face. “Who told you?” He says in a serious voice.

“No one, I mean it can’t be true can it?”

Gareth is listening intently

Jim speaks in an audible whisper “When I first got out of college, I played guitar out on the streets. I heard things, from other performers. They have unlimited access to special military combat strategies that no one has ever seen. They work on perfecting them.”

“You mean, the street performers work together?”

“SHHH!” Jim insisted

Gareth was hanging on their every word.

“How do they communicate?”

“Those tip jars, aren’t just for decoration. In fact I believe I deciphered their code. There’s going to be an uprising soon.” Jim looked startled and snapped his head in Gareth’s direction. “I’ve said too much” Jim said, and then slowly walked away with his hands in his pockets. Tim turned to Gareth and said “Great job with the chairs.” Then calmly walked away.

 

Pam and Dawn are looking at travel broachers. Dwight is nearby still painting the sign, this time with a surgical mask placed over his face.

“Pam, do you think we’ll have any time to sight see while we’re in New York?”

“Oh, I don’t know Dawn. I think Michael and David have the weekend mostly planned for us.”

“You mean we’ll be spending most of our time in the hotel?”

“Probably.”

“Is it safe?”

“What do you mean?”

“Well Pam, I don’t want to alarm you but I’ve heard many American hotels aren’t that safe. Many hotels aren’t prepared for emergencies like fires or electric outages, or floods.”

Dwight paused and his eyes shifted over to Pam and Dawn.

“Oh my gosh, you know I think I saw a special on that on the news!”

“Really Pam? Do you think there’s anything we can do?”

“I don’t know. We could talk to the hotel manager.” Dwight shook his head

“Pam don’t be so naïve you know they wont tell us the truth about the safety reports”

Dwight nodded.

You’re probably right. If only there were someone we could trust to inspect this hotel and make sure it was safe. Or to interview the employees to make sure they’re prepared in case of an emergency.”

Dwight stood up “Do not worry. As a former Lackawanna County volunteer sheriff's deputy I will make sure this hotel is safe.”

“Really Dwight?” Dawn said “Thank you so much!”

“No need for thanks. I am not a hero. I am just doing what any other citizen with my investigation skills would do. Now if you’ll excuse me. I have to prepare” Dwight glided off towards his hotel room. After he was out of earshot Pam and Dawn burst into laughter.

Everyone is taking their seats in the hotel conference room. A small portable cd player is playing “My country ‘tis of thee” in the background. The camera pans over to Michael then zooms out to reveal Michael standing in British Royal Guard attire. It pans over to David Brent, dressed in an Uncle Sam costume. Both bosses have ridiculous grins on their faces. 

The camera zooms in on Stanley who has annoyance written all over his face. He looks down at the crossword in his hands, looks from Michael to David, rolls his eyes, and takes a seat in the very last row of chairs.Phyllis sits next to him, Pam sits next to Phyllis followed closely by Dawn. The next row has Kevin in front of Stanley, Karen sits next to Kevin with Jim sitting next to her. Tim takes a seat next to Jim.

The rest of the employees file into the front of the room Gareth and Dwight fight for the seat closest to the bosses before Dwight claims victory and the scuffle is ended. Tim smiles when Dawn playfully ruffles his hair.

Jim looks back and gives Pam a quick grin. “How’s your room?” A big smile shines from Pam’s face

“It’s great! Dawn and I are taking one bed and letting Karen have the other.”

Karen chimed in “I told them they didn’t have to but they insisted. I’ve never seen two people hit it off so well” Jim flinched as he remembered how well Pam had gotten along with him when they first met. His heart ached, and he chose to ignore it.

“Glad to see things worked out.” Jim said

Pam opened her mouth to say something else but Jim had already turned around. Dawn stopped playing with Tim’s hair and looked at Pam and then at Jim. Tim turned to Pam and asked, “So Miss Beasley, how is the hotel inspection coming along?” Pam smiled “Well Mr. Canterbury, I believe Miss. Tinsley and I have made some progress…”

Tim plastered a shocked look on his face “Why Miss Beasley are you mocking me? Do you hear this Jim? Here I am making polite conversation and Miss Pam Beasley shoots arrows straight at my heart!”

Jim answered automatically “Yeah she tends to do that.”

Pam looked hurt, Karen nudged him “Jim!”

“What?” Jim realized what he had said, “Oh, I didn’t mean… um… Pam look…” Dawn and Tim looked at each other trying to figure out what was going on.

Pam softly said “I think I’ll use the bathroom before the meeting starts” she got up to use the restroom but Michael blocked her exit.

“Stop fair maiden for the meeting of two great powers will now commence! Back to thine seat!” Pam turned around defeated, and returned to her seat behind Jim. Jim tried smiling at her but she couldn’t look at him.

The exchange turned into a mini competition, both Michael and David trying to lead the meeting:

“Englishmen and American-men… and Englishwomen and American-women, lend me your ears!” Michael Scott started

“Right,” David cut him off “Today as you know I’ve been invited”

“by me”

“to explain to you all”

“Michael Scott”

“How our company in Slough”

“Regional Manager of Dunder Mifflin Paper Products.”

“Can help your company improve.”

“ We will LEARN from our English counter parts, and not only learn, but TRADE!!!” Michael nodded. Michael and David exchanged knowing glances.

“Trade?” Asked Ryan “as in trading ideas or different types of paper?”

“Nooooo” Michael said “We’ll be trading something much more precious than that”

“And by trading the our precious commodities if you will, we believe we can improve both our culture of business as well as the appreciation of what we have, because you know, you never know what you had until it’s gone from you. Until someone takes it and says no, you can’t have this back because I said so. That’s what true friends A.K.A. bosses do.” David explained

“What are these precious commodities, Michael?” Angela asked

“Is it anything to do with drugs?” asked Gareth, “because never mind about your street performers, combine them with drugs and it could make for a lethal combination because knowing what they know they could come along and…” Gareth cut across his throat with his finger. Jim elbowed Tim as they both tried to stifle their laughter.

“Drugs can’t be involved Gareth. It’s illegal” Dwight glared

“Actually prescription drugs aren’t necessarily illegal, some of them are quite soothing.” Creed said

“Michael, what is this about?” asked Phyllis

“Oh let me tell them,” David said

“I was going to tell them” Michael pleaded

“No I think I should” David laughed nervously

“I’m the host” Michael replied quickly

“But I’m the guest” David retorted.

There was a pause in the bickering as Michael and David stood eye to eye.

“Let’s both do it” Michael said, emphasizing "do it"

“On three one… two… three… EMPLOYEE EXCHANGE PROGRAM!”

Chapter End Notes:
Next Chapter: We find out what this Employee exchange program entails and see how the bars treat our lovable employees from both America and England.


Dymphna is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 5 members. Members who liked British Invasion also liked 205 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans