- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

*

Three years after the hit documentary premiered, TV Weekly sits down for a chat with Jim and Pam Halpert (formerly Beesly) of The Office: An American Workplace.


Q: So I think the first thing everyone wants to know is how you two ended up getting together.

Pam Halpert: [laughs] Oh, I don't know, Jim. Should we tell them?

Jim Halpert: No, I think they're just going to have to keep watching.

P.H.: Yeah, come on, everybody--you've gotta keep watching! Help us put our kids through college! [Both laugh.] But seriously, I think everyone's figured out by now that we did end up working things out eventually. [She smiles at Jim and holds his hand in her lap.]

J.H.: Took us long enough though, right? We sit down and watch the episodes together every week, and honestly, I just can't believe how stupid we were back then. [Pam laughs.] No, really, it's all so obvious looking back on it! I'm sure everyone figured it out before we did.

P.H.: We weren't very subtle.

J.H.: No, we weren't. Definitely not as much as we thought we were.

Q: What was it that kept you from figuring it out?

J.H.: That we were in love?

Q: Yes.

[Both look at each other.]

P.H.: Well, you have to understand, it's different when you're actually living it.

J.H.: Yeah, and there's a lot the camera saw that we didn't see. I mean, I feel kind of guilty looking back on everything now. I kind of wonder how different things would've been if I'd stuck around Scranton instead of transferring.

P.H.: But you didn't know!

J.H.: Yeah, I mean... there's a lot we could have done differently. But we still ended up here eventually.

P.H.: And honestly... I mean, it would've been nice to have had even those couple of months together, but I think being apart made us appreciate it all the more when we did finally figure things out. And we've moved past all that stuff now.

J.H.: But I'm still not allowed to eat Italian food.

[Pam elbows him. Jim laughs.]

P.H.: That is not true! Don't lie, honey. Your nose is already long enough.

J.H.: Hey!

[Both laugh.]

Q: What was it like to live with the cameras constantly following you around?

J.H.: A little weird at first.

P.H.: The crew was great. They were a lot of fun. But the camera itself was kind of... annoying.

J.H.: You get used to it after awhile, but it did make things difficult sometimes. It was just one more person watching you, so you know, if you were doing something you didn't want anyone to see...

P.H.: Like playing a prank on Dwight.

J.H.: No, I didn't mind if anyone saw that. [Both laugh.]

P.H.: I used to worry about what it would look like when it came together. You know, I've seen some of those reality shows before that would completely... just edit everything to make it seem super-dramatic, you know? I mean, I knew my mom was going to be watching this show. I didn't want to look bad. And, you know, the camera supposedly adds ten pounds, too. That kind of sucked.

J.H.: Wow, pretty vain there, Beesly.

P.H.: Shut it, Halpert.

Q: You mentioned Dwight Shrute, your deskmate, Jim. What about the other people from the office? Do you still stay in touch with anyone?

P.H.: Yeah!

J.H.: Yeah, we still talk to some people occasionally. Phyllis.

P.H.: And Kelly.

J.H.: I've run into Michael a couple of times. He's in Philadelphia now, too, working at the corporate office.

Q: You don't ever talk to Dwight?

[Both laugh.]

J.H.: Not Dwight, no. What a shocker, right? I think he still thinks I'm out to get him. For the record, Dwight, if you're reading this for some reason: I am. [Both laugh.] No, not really. I'm just kidding.

P.H.: Yeah, Angela sent me a picture of the baby a few months ago, but we don't really... talk.

Q: You said you sit down to watch the show together.

J.H.: Every week!

Q: Is everything the way you remember it?

P.H.: To be honest, I don't really remember a lot of it.

J.H.: Yeah, watching the show kind of brings back memories for me. I'd forgotten about a lot of it, too.

P.H.: Some things I remember.

J.H.: Yeah. Some things... are harder to forget.

P.H.: He's talking about Casino Night.

J.H.: Well, yeah. And that time Roy tried to punch me.

P.H.: Yeah, that was scary!

J.H.: Speak for yourself! I was ready to take him down before Dwight jumped in with his pepper spray.

P.H.: Sure you were.

J.H.: I was!

P.H.: I remember Ben Franklin.

J.H.: Yeah, that was funny. I can't believe a Ben Franklin-impersonator hit on you.

P.H.: What, you don't think I can attract the smart guys?

J.H.: No, I just don't think that guy was very smart if he thought he was getting somewhere dressed like Ben Franklin.

[Both laugh.]

Q: What's been your favorite episode so far?

P.H.: Oh, I don't know.

J.H.: What about "The Dundies"? The one when you got the white sneaker award?

P.H.: Oh yeah, that was a great one! I'm kind of embarrassed to admit... I really don't remember most of that night, so it was pretty funny to watch. I can't believe I kissed Michael!

J.H.: Ew, yeah, that wasn't pretty.

P.H.: Hey! I kissed you too.

J.H.: Yeah, but I choose to believe that one wasn't a horrible drunken mistake so much as a drunken acknowledgment of your secret feelings.

[Pam laughs.]

P.H.: Well, you deserved it after fighting for my Dundy. You know he never told me he arranged that with Michael? I had no idea until I watched the episode.

J.H.: What can I say? I'm a man of many secrets.

Q: What about you, Jim? Do you have a favorite?

J.H.: Honestly? This is going to sound crazy and masochistic, but watching "Casino Night" together was... an experience. I mean, it was kind of good to look back on it and see it again. Painful, but kind of... cathartic, I guess. You know, now I know it was all worth it.

P.H.: Really?

J.H.: Yeah!

P.H.: I just couldn't believe how much the cameras captured. I had no idea we were being filmed.

J.H.: Yeah, I can't believe I cried on national television.

P.H.: I can't believe I cheated on my fiance on national television! You know my mom ran into Roy's mom in the supermarket the day after that aired?

J.H.: Yeah, ok, you win.

Q: Do you and Roy still stay in touch?

P.H.: We don't really talk frequently, but we sometimes run into each other when we're visiting my parents, and I think we've all moved on.

J.H.: He's married now.

P.H.: Yes, he is. They have a really adorable little girl.

Q: What about Karen, Jim?

J.H.: Do we stay in touch? Uh... no. We, uh... we didn't end up parting on very friendly terms, if you know what I mean. It's hard now for me to watch some of this on the show, because... well, I just feel pretty bad. It's obvious looking back on it that I was, you know, kind of leading her on, but... that's just one of those things you don't realize until you have a little perspective. I really never intended to hurt her. Sometimes you just make a bad decision. People get hurt.

Q: And what are you both up to now? Any plans to get into show biz?

P.H.: [laughs] Yeah, right! Can't you just see me on the covers of magazines?

J.H.: Shut up, you're gorgeous.

P.H.: Well, thank you. But the answer is no. No show biz plans.

J.H.: Yeah, I think we'll be happy when the buzz dies down again and the reporters stop calling. No offense.

P.H.: I worry about our daughter sometimes, growing up in the spotlight. We try to keep things normal at home.

Q: Any plans for a little brother or sister?

[Both look at each other.]

P.H.: Should we tell them?

J.H.: Why not?

P.H.: Yeah, we're sort of expecting another now, actually. Just found out a few weeks ago.

Q: Congratulations!

P.H.: Thank you.

J.H.: Thanks.

Q: And thanks for meeting with me.

J.H.: No problem.

P.H.: Yeah, sure!

The Office airs Thursday nights at 8:30/7:30c on NBC.



hoosabrat is the author of 2 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 5 members. Members who liked An Interview with Jim and Pam also liked 2155 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Press Clippings.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans