- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I still don't own them, and this is still AU.

It’s a quiet Thursday morning when Michael summons Jim and Pam to his office.

 

After he has shut the door and drawn the blinds, he sits down solemnly at his desk.  “I’m afraid we have a thief in the office,” he confides.

 

Jim watches Pam suppress a smile, and almost laughs himself, but covers it quickly with a cough. 

 

“What makes you think that?” Pam asks, the very picture of wide-eyed innocence.

 

“Someone has been stealing the colored paper clips,” Michael whispers.  “You know how I love the green and blue ones.”

 

Pam nods.  “That’s terrible.  Do you think maybe we just ran out?”

 

“No!” Michael says quickly and a little too loudly.  “No, Pam.  We have a thief in the office.”

 

The three of them sit there in silence, Jim practically choking from trying not to laugh.  Finally, Michael sighs, “I’m sure it’s Toby.”

 

“Umm…why Toby?” Jim asks.

 

Michael doesn’t answer.  He simply gives Jim a look that can only be interpreted as his “don’t be an idiot” look, and begins to outline an elaborate, nonsensical plan to catch Toby in the act. 

 

Jim might have been more amused with the plan if it didn’t involve him having to go to Walmart with Michael to pick up more colored paper clips.  On the ride over Michael sings along to a Spice Girls song, something Jan doesn’t let him do any more.  Jim promises not to tell Jan, as long as Michael promises not to sing any more.

 

Standing in the office supply aisle, Jim watches Michael fuss over several different packages of the exact same colored paper clips.  He wanders over to the art supplies, and picks up a pack of colored pencils for Pam.  He’s deliberating getting her some crayons when he hears someone say his name.

 

He turns and smiles.  “Karen.” 

 

“How’s Pam?”  Karen asks.

 

Jim ducks his head as a happy grin spreads across his face.  “She’s great.  We’re great.”

 

“That’s great,” Karen chuckles.

 

“Well, this is awkward,” Michael says sidling up to them.

 

Jim shakes his head and rolls his eyes at Karen.  “Actually it’s really not,”  Jim shrugs.  “Karen and I are friends.”

 

“Hi, Michael,” Karen says, her smile tightening a bit.

 

“How’re you liking Staples?” Michael asks. “I bet your boss isn’t as funny as me.”

 

“Michael, I’m the manager,”  Karen reminds him.

 

Michael seems at a loss for a moment.  Then he grins a typical Michael grin, and asks, “How’ve you been in the love department since you dumped our Jimmy-boy?”

 

“Yeah, how is your new boyfriend?”  Jim jumps in giving Karen a pleading look.

 

Karen’s eyes light up, and a devilish smile curves across her mouth.  “She’s great.”

 

Jim closes his eyes so he doesn’t have to see Michael make the connection.  When Michael does make the connection, Jim hears him gasp.  Cracking his eyes open, Jim sees Michael staring at Karen in wide-eyed awe.

 

He’s spluttering several moments later when Karen pats Jim on the arm, and whispers, “Have fun with this one.”

 

Jim sighs, and steers a now silent Michael to the self-checkout line.  He knows that once Michael’s shock wears off there will be an onslaught of questions, but for now he welcomes the silence.  He’ll have to remember to thank Karen.



Fliz0nToast is the author of 4 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Five times Jim ran into people from work at Super Wal-Mart also liked 1625 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans