- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Jan Levinson always knows what she wants, and better yet – she always gets it. She doesn't like losing.

But what five-year-old does?

So it's quite understandable that she gets very upset on a certain Wednesday morning. Her parents oversleep and drop her off to kindergarten an hour late. When she enters the playroom, all children are already busy playing, all girls equipped with dolls, blankets and toy strollers. It seems they're playing house and Jan skips joyfully to pick up a few toys and complete a little household of her own.

But to her surprise, all dolls are gone. There's plenty of stuffed elephants, there are multiple teddy bears, but there are no spare dolls.

She turns to the girl who's closest to her. It's Becky Richardson and she's just tucking her dolls under a bright pink blanket.

“There are no dolls,” Jan complains.

Becky just shrugs.

“I want one,” Jan sighs.

“Sorry,” Becky shrugs again. “You were late, so there are no left.”

“But you have five,” Jan points her finger at Becky's little family. “Everyone has a lot of them,” she looks around. It's true, every girls seems to be taking care of an unusual number of daughters today.

“Well, we weren't late, Jan,” Becky folds her plump arms. “We could take all the dolls we wanted. You could too, if you were on time.”

“But can't you give me one?” Jan asks. “You don't need so many!”

“Yes, I do,” Becky says stubbornly. “That's how we're playing today.”

“But then I can't play at all!”

Becky doesn't say a word and snatches her dolls from under the blanket, cradling them protectively in her arms, as if fearing that Jan is not beyond resorting to kidnapping. But Jan just stares at her friend, anger and helplessness rising in her young, unspoilt heart. Her cheeks redden slightly as she confronts Becky with her revenge.

“When I grow up,” she starts slowly, “I will have ten kids... no, I will have a hundred kids. They will be better than your stupid dolls and I won't let you play with any of them.”

“No one can have a hundred kids,” Becky protests. “That's what my mom said. It's impossible.”

“Maybe your mom can't, but I will,” Jan says, proudly holding her head up. “You just wait and see.”


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans