- Text Size +

 

 

            James was leery to disrobe. True, the Lord of Warborough seemed just and the townsfolk submissive but would they still be once he were stripped of weapon and armor? Warily, he watched the Lord and his varied townsmen shed their layers. Brother Tobias looked candidly at Halpert. It had been three week since they had last washed full bodied. The soldier nodded to the monk and in low breath said, “We shall bathe in turns.” Tobias nodded and began to unloosen his robes. Halpert, knowing the monk’s shyness, turned to watch the dozen men washing in the river. Naked, they sent up great whoops as they splashed cold water upon others’ shoulders and backs. The monk removed his hair shirt and entered the current slowly.

 

            The boy, Harold, took the monk’s discarded clothing and heaped it on a long, black log that straddled the beach. He now returned to the soldier and lifted the grease jars, “Lord, would you have me polish your armor as you bathe?”

 

            James nodded and slowly unbuckled the greaves about his legs. “Let’s see how well your fingers work,” he said as he scanned the forest line and village windows. He would have this done piece-meal or not at all.

 

            Harold took the greaves and went to perch on the log near the monk’s discarded clothing, keeping watch. He worked carefully hard and the soldier smiled. The boy had been trained well by his father, or an elder brother, in the order of polishing. He did not polish in circular fashion as you would silver. A local Knight Templar would be fair pleased to have this squire.

 

            Behind him, Halpert could hear the yeomen arguing with the lumbermen newly returned from the forest. The townsfolk were of the opinion that this year’s weather foretold a good crop and therefore the fate of the town depended on the farmers now out in the fields. The lumbermen were equally sure that their constant income of pence was what kept the village from starvation.

 

             Lord Beasley mediated.  His booming voice carried across the beach, “Aye, today’s wood was well delivered and the nine pence, ten pence brought in each three day is welcome much. But it is equal true that a hundred silver mark at harvest time lends itself to good cheer. Would you tell the fisherman to lay down their nets to work the fields? Would you ask the cooper to lay down his lathe that he might take up the axe? Each has a place and each needs of the other.”

 

            Even so, with such wise words, the men continued to bicker. But now the soldier could tell the words were in jest. They were in high spirits for their day’s work was done.

 

            Harold came and requested a new piece and Halpert willing gave him his left gauntlet. The dirt of the road was caked upon it and he’d had difficulty in its use for many a day. Upon seeing the grimy steel, the boy looked up at him and said, “My sister says that the good St. George near died for having joints that would not bend. She says armor must be cleaned daily for the knight a-questing.” He looked with challenging eyes at the Scotsman.

 

            James bit his tongue to keep from laughing, “Och, aye. Your sister is well versed in the code of chivalry. Indeed my armor is near wrack and ruin for my squire did die when I did fight two fearsome beasties not these three days gone by. The dirt you see upon me is actually the gore of gryphon and snake. I am now in the need of a brave squire who fears nae death nor dragon’s claw.”

 

            The boy’s eyes grew round and he dropped the gauntlet with a clatter upon the rocks of the strand.

 

            “He teases you, Harold. He has fought no griffin.” Startled, James looked up to see the auburn-haired lass approaching, flanked by a handful of other young maidens. “See his armor is without scratches and the claws of the griffin are as long as a man’s forearm. He jests with you. It was surely a griffon he fought. Some poor landsman’s guard dog. And the snakes you well know are not poisonous except the adder and it grows not to large size.”

 

            “Och, this must be the sister of whom you talk much. She is knowledgeable in all things as you have well proven.” James, son of Halpert, bowed and introduced himself to the close-knit group.

 

            They made curtsey and as she stood to make introductions, an eager girl at her side, with doe eyes and slim figure, began to order about all those around her, “Harold, mother has need of you in the Great Hall to prepare for the feast. Kellith, help me remove the Knight’s armor. Anne, take you the Knight’s tunic and leggings that they may be washed ere the feast. Pam, finish you the polishing of the Knight’s armor.” All was a bustle around her and the soldier stepped back as Kellith came forward to undo his armlets.

 

            “You find me bravely dressed, my lady. I am content.” He looked at the auburn-haired girl for aid. She was busy donning a wool apron as well as long, wool gloves. She saw not his look.

 

            “You are a covered in filth,” The doe-eyed girl replied. “The flies fear to buzz your hair. Kellith, disrobe the Knight that Pam might clean his armor ere the Mass. We have guests at the feast tonight who would be dishonored to sit near you. Anne, forget not the Friar’s robes. They must be boiled and serviceable by tomorrow’s morn.” Already Kellith’s hands were full with his armlets and right gauntlet. “Kellith, go to the trunks of my brother Edward, and bring his best tunic for the knight. Bring you also the robes of the late Priest.”

 

            Halpert retreated before her onslaught until his boots touched the water’s edge. The men behind him laughed and mocked the stranger’s duress. He could not stop the two sets of women’s hands as they unbuckled and relieved him of both armor and weapon. “I know not the name of the ladies who undo me,” he said quietly with as little dignity as he could muster.

 

            The doe-eyed one gave him little backwards glance as she carried off his halberd and helm, “I am Aethelinda, daughter of Lord Beasley, your host.”

 

            With the eyes of the serving wench upon him, James stripped his tunic and leggings and slipped in to the cold water. As he scrubbed himself clean with river sand, he watched the auburn-haired girl oil and buff his armor. Meanwhile his bane, Aethelinda, stood close by watching the men in the Avon. Brother Tobias came up to him and whispered, “They have taken my robes.”

 

            The knight nodded, “She is the girl. The one who polishes my helm.”

            The Scotsmen looked upon her. “By the grace of God, I hope not,” Brother Tobias said.

            James smiled, “She is the girl.”

  

 

            Halpert took advantage of his forced captivity, to wash the sweat and dirt from his locks. Were he more well placed, he would consider trimming his beard. He continued to steal glances at the girl upon the log. Her sister had grown weary and had left the beach to return to the timbered hall. He was not displeased to see her go. After the dark-complexioned serving girl returned bearing robes and garments, Tobias left the chilled water. He closely guarded the cross upon its chain around his neck.

 

            The soldier watched good-humoredly as the monk attempted to dress several paces from the girl. She was intent on buffing the knight’s gorget. The neckpiece being unwieldy, she paid him no mind. But Tobias was shy and directed many fearful glances her way. When he was fully clothed he awkwardly took up the halberd by her side and brought it to the river’s edge.

 

            The rest of the men had now removed themselves and were drying by the cook fires. James could hear them discussing the dinner’s meal with great joviality and ribald humor. It made his stomach growl to smell the savory stew cooking so close by.

 

            As he left the water, he clapped his hand upon Tobias’ shoulder, “Well, I have besmirched the reputation of the Scots, I now make us cowards before English women. Mayhap you can restore our dignity ere the night is through.”

 

            Tobias in a most aggrieved tone said, “They are savages. Stripping a man and they unwed. Look you. Go and talk to this strumpet. Get her to come with us that we may be away from here.”

 

            The soldier balefully nodded, and, dripping, strode up to the lass. “How soon, miss, will my armor be suitable for wear?”

 

            She looked up at him and smiling said, “If my sister has her way, you will be dressed and in the Great Hall before I draw another breath.”

 

            He laughed as he drew on the leggings that the serving wench had brought, “Och, I must say, our lasses are not as bossy as these hereabouts.”

 

            Philomena looked guiltily towards her father’s house, “Oh, she is not so bossy as all. It is that she received good news this day and thinks, maybe right, maybe wrong, that she deserves more than her usual due.”

 

            “And you received no equal good, Miss She Who Has No Name? Very well, I revoke that I called her bossy.” As he spoke, Halpert drew on the tunic that had been brought for him. He pulled on the sleeves and shook his head. They were a hand’s length too short.

 

             Philomena looked down at his pale calves peeking out, “I am called Philomena, also daughter of Beasley. I will soon get you stockings. You canna wear greaves with those leggings elsewise.”

 

            “Och, Phillo-mean-uh. I expected not that name. I thought you were the one that the young squire Harold told me of. Her name was Pam. Do you have any other sister of that name?”

 

            “It is my family name. I have six brothers and four sisters. You have met Aethel. There is also Ermengarde, who is as clever as any girl, and Winifred, who is not as clever, and Hilde, whom if you see, then you count as lucky, for she hides like a fairy.”As she spoke, she dripped grease into the grooves of his gauntlet that his fingers could move forward and back easily.

 

            “And how old be Hilde? And the rest? And where are your brothers for other than Harold, I have only met Andrew and John when we did lunch.” The knight took up another cloth and began to oil the breastplate that sat by her side. By doing so, there was no longer a barrier betwixt them.

 

            “Hilde is near six seasons. Winnie, 10. Emmie, 13. Aethel is 16 come May. My brothers work the fields or fish until twilight. That is all, cept Aubert, who is in Nuneaton to meet with my prospective suitor’s family.” When she said these last words, the Scotsman looked up from his polishing. He saw her face was pale and he worried at these words.

 

 

 

 

 

 

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans