- Text Size +

When they came up for air, Pam wasn't sure how much time had passed but she was sure that she didn't care. Jim was smiling at her and life was good. She leaned back against the cushions, closed her eyes and exhaled. "Wow...." was all she could muster.

He stroked her hair gently, waiting for her to regain her senses. Then he noticed her smile fade and when she looked at him again, her eyes were clouded.

"What is it?" his fingers still sifting through her curls.

"Nothing, I just..." she broke off.

"Pam, tell me."

"I just couldn't help thinking that last night you were probably kissing someone else like this." She bit her lip and stared intently at her lap. She hadn't wanted to bring it up but the thought had popped into her head and he had asked. She wanted to be honest with him or she feared this relationship would be as doomed to failure as her last.

"Pam," he said softly, lifting her chin so that she faced him again. "Not like this. Nothing like this. I wasn't in love with her."

"But that probably didn't stop you from sleeping with her, right?" her voice was bitter.

"Look, I..." He knew there was really no way for this to end well. He didn't want to lie yet he didn't want to hurt her. He wondered desperately what answer would appease her.

"Can't deny it, can you?" she laughed but it was a strangled sound. "God, this sucks."

"What do you want from me, Pam?" he pleaded. " I'm here with you. I just told you that you're the only person I can picture my future with. Look, I'd give anything to go back a year and do it all over again but..." he trailed off helplessly.

There was the slightest cracking of his voice that made her look over at him and that's when she noticed the tears in his eyes, harkening back to last year. She knew then that he meant all of it. She knew he had suffered as much as she had. She fell into his arms.

"I know. Me too." She buried her face in his shoulder and felt his arms immediately encircle her. They stayed like that, breathing each other in and sharing their grief over all the lost time. After a long moment, she pulled back. His eyes searched hers, hoping they could get past this and come out again on the other side, still friends.

The silence was broken by Pam's stomach growling loudly. She giggled and the mood grew lighter.

"We should probably think about some food," she smiled, retreating back to her corner of the couch.

"Yeah, we absolutely should. That was a little frightening! The sound, I mean, your stomach, not the...." he stammered. "Look, are you okay?"

She looked at him thoughtfully. "Are you back for good?"

"Do you want me to be?"

She nodded resolutely. "We'll work it out. This is all happening just a little fast. I mean, I know that sounds funny considering how long it's taken us to get here but you know a few hours ago I was resigned to the fact that you were moving to New York and that was it."

"I know, Pam, and I'm sorry it all went down like this."

"Please stop apologizing! We both made mistakes. Can we just declare an amnesty on everything we did wrong before today?"

"Amnesty, huh? Yeah. I like that - that'll definitely work!"

She grinned mischievously. "But in order for the amnesty to begin, you have to buy me dinner."

"Of course."

"Including dessert."

"Wow! You drive a hard bargain. I guess we have an agreement."

"Deal," she said, reaching out her hand.

"Deal," he replied, shaking it. She went to pull away and he planted a kiss on her wrist before letting go. She beamed at him and he gave her a gentle nudge. "Can we go now? I haven't eaten a thing all day and I'm starving."

Pam gathered her things and they walked to the door. "Too bad there's no good places to eat in New York City," she teased.

"Yeah, well, I spent most of the day in my car breaking a few land speed records. I did manage to salvage a slightly melted bag of Skittles from the console."

"Poor baby," she murmured.

They were back, together, and it was like old times. Only they were both single, on a date, and that was about a thousand times better than anything that had ever come before.

**********

There seemed to be a conspiracy against them. Despite the fact that it was a Thursday, and fairly early, the first place they tried had an hour long wait. They decided to drive on and see what else they could find when they passed a Chinese restaurant that Pam remembered from her childhood.

"Oooh! Peking Paradise! They used to serve drinks in real pineapples! Can we get one?"

"You like Chinese food?" he smiled.

"Love it. You?"

"Mostly. I never venture too far from pupu platters and fried rice but if that's what you want..."

"Yay!" she clapped like a child.

He grinned. "Chinese it is then, m'lady."

He pulled in and parked the car. Pam hopped out, breathing in the aroma.

"Oh my god, I'm starving! Doesn't that smell awesome?"

"It really does." As soon as he was out of the car, Pam was tugging on his hand, urging him to move faster. He couldn't believe how adorable she was. He'd spent countless days trying to evoke smiles like this from her. Now they were here, together, and she was grinning from ear to ear and skipping like a child and he finally felt like he could reach out and touch the place he wanted to be. He'd seen her apartment - even kissed her silly on her couch.

For the first time in a year, thinking of the future gave him hope.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans