- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

More first date magic. Maybe they'll eventually get to a second date?!

A quick stop on the way home for essential supplies turned into an intellectual debate at the convenience store.

"Okay, so we've established that you don't like Sno-Caps?"

"No because, ew! Those white things are too hard and crunchy and they get stuck in your teeth. And you're not a fan of coconut?"

"Uh-uh. The consistency sorta weirds me out."

"So dark chocolate?"

"Is a yes. And milk chocolate but not white."

"Yes. White chocolate shouldn't even be called chocolate."

"Agreed. So this has been very enlightening but we still haven't decided what candy to get for the movie portion of our evening."

"How about M&Ms?"

"Because they make friends or because they melt in your mouth but not in your hand?"

"Can't it just be because I need crunchy and chocolate-y and this way I can have both?"

"Whatever makes you happy, so long as we agree on something. Let's grab a couple of Reeses cups too."

"Yes! And might as well get some jelly beans while I'm here. I know this guy at work who likes them and I'm completely out."

"Is that how you lure men to your desk, Pam? Sugary treats?"

"What can I say? It totally worked on you didn't it?"

"Hmph." He glanced at his watch and huffed. "Look at the time! You made us miss the beginning of the game!"

She grabbed a box from a shelf and lobbed it towards him. "Here's some Cracker Jacks. Suck it up and let's go."

"I love pushy women!" he called after her.

"Good!" she retorted. "We're going to get along great then."

******

His laughter rang out in the car. "So you and Michael are planning a love child together?"


"Well it seems like the least I could do. Michael turned into a real mess after you left - you know what I mean, like, a bigger mess! He thought you left Scranton because of him."

He frowned. "Really? I told him at the convention that I left because of you. Did he not tell you?" He pulled the car to a stop and looked at her.

She shook her head. "Was he supposed to tell me?"

"Well, no, I mean, I never told him specifically... but it was Michael! I just assumed he'd go right back and spill it all to you. Ever since I told him about the crush I had on you he's sort of considered himself our own personal relationship guru."

She groaned. "Considering how he's handling things with Jan I think we're doing much better without him."

"How much better?" he asked as they got out of the car.

"Well," she breathed in, "I'm inviting you upstairs. And..." she waggled her left hand at him to emphasize the fact that it was ring-free and glanced at him shyly.

"Why are you being so coy?" he smirked. "You already told me you're going to make out with me."

"Damn! I did!" She took his hand and pulled him towards the door. "Guess we'd better get to it then."

"So you're giving it up without a fight?"

"Kelly told me I needed to get right back on the horse and start kissing more boys."

"Great. So I'm just a rebound guy? Or am I merely a placeholder until you and Michael decide to have your love child?"

She laughed. "You, sir, are neither!"

"I'm not sure if I should believe you," he griped, but he followed her eagerly into her apartment.

She caught him by surprise by pinning him against the closed door and staring him fully in the eyes. "Then it will be my job to convince you."

He grinned. "That shouldn't be too difficult considering it's already the best first date I've ever been on."

"Really?"

"You sound surprised."

"Well, I just - I mean... you've been on a lot of first dates," she stammered.

He shrugged. "I don't know about that. Depends on what you'd consider 'a lot'."

"Well, Jim, I've been on exactly five in my life."

"Five, huh? Are you counting this one?"

She nodded.

"So then me, Roy, that guy you went out with in the fall when Michael and Dwight were at the convention..."

"You know about that?" she sounded utterly embarrassed.

"Yeah, Michael spilled the beans on you. And don't think that didn't sting!" he teased.

"Oh, Jim, I never meant to -"

He heard the concern in her voice and he stopped her with a quick kiss. "It's okay. I'm pretty sure I'm over it now."

"God, we suck!" she cried. "All I wanted was to have you come back from Stamford and you probably thought I'd moved on and didn't care."

"Pretty much," he chuckled, amazed that he was laughing about it.

"Aaargh! How are we ever going to get past all this?" she replied in frustration.

He pulled her close and planted a kiss firmly on her lips. "Like this," he said.

She leaned back, a half smile forming on her lips. "Sit!" she ordered, pointing to the couch.

"Yes, ma'am." He immediately complied with her request.

She headed towards the kitchen instructing him to cue up the movie.

"So you still want to watch a movie then?" he sounded a tad disappointed.

She came back into the room and set a bowl of M&Ms down in front of him. "Obviously, Jim. Didn't I promise to make out with you during the film?"

He brightened at that. "So you did! I thought maybe you were just being a tease. What a hussy you are - making out on the first date!"

She stopped in the doorway and turned to face him, smirking.

"What?" he asked.

"I was just going to say that if we were normal people..."

"...which we're not..." he smiled.

"...we'd have told each other how we felt about three years ago. Then we'd be a lot further along than our first date!" The beeping of the microwave beckoned her to the kitchen.

"Well, Pam, anything worth doing takes time!" he called from the couch.

"Yeah, my grandfather used to say that all the time," she laughed. "He thought I was too impulsive as a kid. I guess he'd be proud of me now."

"I'm sure he would," he said quietly, gazing at her with adoration as she set the popcorn down before him.

He hadn't looked at her like that in a long time and she blushed furiously. It was going to take some getting used to having him do it again but she felt up to the challenge.

"Thank you," she replied, shaking off the reverie she'd slipped into. "Now what would you like to drink? I have beer or soda if you'd prefer. I even think I have an unopened bottle of rum!"

"I'd better have a soda if I want to drive home tonight. That suffering bastard was pretty strong!"

"So don't drive home," she said, walking back to the kitchen.

He sat there in stunned silence for a moment wondering about her intentions. Was she inviting him to stay the night? In her bed? On the couch? Or was she merely suggesting that he should get a cab ride home?

Rather than ask what she meant, as she brought two glasses of cola for them he said coyly, "Maybe you could put a splash of rum in those."

"Oh, I already did." She sank down into the couch and propped her feet up on the coffee table.

"Oh....kay. You're totally trying to take advantage of me aren't you?"

"Am I really that transparent?"

"Yes. Yes you are," he grinned.

"Oh well." She took a sip of her drink. "I kind of miss being referred to as impulsive."

He leaned over to kiss her but she deftly avoided him and pointed the remote at the TV. "Jim, you have to watch this opening chase sequence. It's unbelievable!"

"I'm already watching something pretty unbelievable," he murmured, never taking his eyes off of her.

"Plenty of time for that later," she laughed and turned his head back towards the screen. "Give it five minutes and you'll love it, I promise!"

"Okay," he grumbled. "Five minutes. But in six minutes, we're going to weight the cost to value ratio and re-evaluate our options."

"Wow! Look at you throwing around those fancy corporate-type words!"

"It's turning you on isn't it. I can tell!"

"Actually," she picked through the popcorn bowl a little too intent on finding a perfectly buttered piece, "I kind of miss that guy who was afraid that his job might become his career."

"Oh."

"Don't get me wrong," she rushed to explain, "I understand the changes and I want you to do whatever is right for you. It's just that working with you used to be so - different. I miss that."

His expression was pained. "Look, I know we keep talking about amnesty and no apologies necessary but I want to say again how sorry I am for shutting you out when I came back. I was trying to hard not to open myself up to you and I guess I just... I don't know. I got caught up in this idea that Karen believed in me and thought I could be somebody."

"I always believed in you," she murmured.

He nodded. "I know. I've always known, I guess I just forgot there for a while. It also took me some time to figure out that Karen didn't care about what I wanted, she just wanted to have this nebulous 'ideal boyfriend' she'd created in her mind. Your note reminded me what I forgot. You never wanted me to be anything but myself."

She smiled. "Ah, yes, the note! You know I almost didn't give it to you."

"Really? Why not?"

"I was pretty miffed that you were thinking about leaving again. But then I realized that I was being selfish and that you needed to do what was best for you however much it sucked for me."

"So selfless! That's one of the things I love about you."

She nestled against him. "What are some of the other things you love about me?"

"Let's see. Your sense of humor."

"Duh!" she grinned, popping a handful of popcorn in her mouth.

"And your eyes, your smile, your laugh, your hair, your freckles, your incredible artistic talents," he rattled off effortlessly.

"What else?" she asked sleepily.

He smiled broadly. "The way you bounce on your feet when you're excited. The way you say 'Dunder Mifflin, this is Pam'.

Her breathing grew steady and he glanced down at her. "Pam?" he said softly.

But she was fast asleep.

He kissed the top of her head and nestled his cheek into her hair. He pulled her closer and chuckled. "The way you can't hold your liquor. The way you feel in my arms when you fall asleep on our first date."

The last thing he heard before following her into slumber was her whispering, "I love you, Jim."

Definitely the best first date ever.



Questionizer is the author of 2 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 26 members. Members who liked I'm Beginning to See the Light also liked 2548 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans